3DXChat Community

Well, some people could see what I wrote and take it as a counter-productive tug of war with words.

Are we losing perspective? That's a possibility. Can we gain that perspective back through open debate and constructive criticism? God, I hope so.

Why do we use debate? To get de fish.  *Bah dumm tsss.*

only prob with that is most wont keep it constructive. your efforts are noble, just the wrong crowd for it

The number of people on the forum complaining about the game vs the number of people playing the game and enjoying themselves. When the devs start noticing a significant fall in subscribers and cash flow ,thats when they'll have start getting worried. However as it stands, it seems to be quite the opposite of that.

I'm having more fun then ever with 3dx. I don't know how to make games so it's impossible for me to say whether updates are slow or fast. But what I do know is that the creativity of our community is booming and it's that creativity that has made me fall in love with this game! Keep it up developers and just as important keep it up members! ^_^

I'm curious to know how many active subs there are vs active forum users. I'd wager that a significant majority of 3DX users are not actually involved with the forums and are mostly unaware of the discussions that go on here.

To me, it seems like this game has more users than ever. Just look over the numbers of people across all the user rooms and public locations.

One of the major gripes people have with this game is lack of content. There is not enough content. While that's certainly true, but that horse has been beaten to death, resurrected and thrown down a meat grinder a long time ago. People are still logging in and having fun doing what they do despite how many shirts or hairstyles we have.

Personally, I don't think it's dying. But since we don't have any real stats, this is just me making a guess based on what I see.

I have been here over 2 years now and when I see what we have now compared to what we had then I am really fairly happy.

I have been critical of Devs in the past, particularly for their seeming arrogance but this is a huge upgrade and I think we need to cut them some slack

Just my $0.02

Cat

I'm impressed to see people coherently and calmly discussing this particular topic without resorting to flinging mud pies at each other like children on a playground. It's incredibly refreshing to see that folks, and I thank you for that.

I wanted to start this topic to give those, who are disenfranchised and frustrated, a place to post and pinpoint their frustrations about this game.

It seems that when you're actually given a chance to speak your mind, most people against the development of something, rarely do. Go fig.

Maybe asking the right questions was the thing to do, and notice how asking in the form of a question, rather than a statement (imagine reading this topic as '3DXChat is dying' instead of "IS 3dxChat dying?") makes a HUGE difference on the thoughts of people here. It helps put things back into perspective, if you will— at least to some degree.

Hell, it even prompted one of the administrators to voice out in favor of their community. That says a lot. It gives you all a rare chance to see that at least to some degree and form of interaction, your development team is with you. They haven't abandoned you. They are listening to you.

Beating a dead horse isn't cool, unless you're going to turn it into glue. KIDDING, I'm kidding. ♥

meet me in the parking lot in 20 minutes. *puts on his boxing gloves*

I had some enchiladas for dinner, are you SURE you wanna do this? lol :D

Yes. It is dying... slowly dying. But... n.e.v.e.r.m.i.n.d! LET'S HAVE SOME FUN PEOPLE! JIZZ ON THE SCREEN WHO ARE WITH ME! ANYONE?! Ah... fuck that!

ew. lol Just kidding. You can jizz on my screen, so long as you clean up afterwards. No...wait... :blink:

The number of people on the forum complaining about the game vs the number of people playing the game and enjoying themselves. When the devs start noticing a significant fall in subscribers and cash flow ,thats when they'll have start getting worried. However as it stands, it seems to be quite the opposite of that.

Hopefully they hear you and take the drop in new memberships seriously as you suggest. For now, things are good. ^_^

I'm curious to know how many active subs there are vs active forum users. I'd wager that a significant majority of 3DX users are not actually involved with the forums and are mostly unaware of the discussions that go on here.

To me, it seems like this game has more users than ever. Just look over the numbers of people across all the user rooms and public locations.

One of the major gripes people have with this game is lack of content. There is not enough content. While that's certainly true, but that horse has been beaten to death, resurrected and thrown down a meat grinder a long time ago. People are still logging in and having fun doing what they do despite how many shirts or hairstyles we have.

Personally, I don't think it's dying. But since we don't have any real stats, this is just me making a guess based on what I see.

I wish we had access to real stats like that. Maybe if we did, we'd help out a lot more and contribute correctly to help this game become better. :)

I have been here over 2 years now and when I see what we have now compared to what we had then I am really fairly happy.

I have been critical of Devs in the past, particularly for their seeming arrogance but this is a huge upgrade and I think we need to cut them some slack

Just my $0.02

Cat

Developers need to see this sort of thing from time to time. It pushes them in the right direction. :lol:

But again, thanks for keeping it civil, folks. I really mean that. ♥

I'm having more fun then ever with 3dx. I don't know how to make games so it's impossible for me to say whether updates are slow or fast. But what I do know is that the creativity of our community is booming and it's that creativity that has made me fall in love with this game! Keep it up developers and just as important keep it up members! ^_^

That's a good attitude, Aoi. Here's hoping development reads your reply, along with others here. ♥

Forum-whiners dont reflect real numbers of unsatisfied customers. Thats the first thing you learn at EA.

• Unsatisfied Customers with a forum account tend to make a big stink to make them look like the majority of the playerbase is hating the game
  • Unsatisfied customers without a forum account will most likely stop subbing after a month and never come back (Which goes unnoticed in most cases)
  • Satisfied customers with a forum account usually dont post how much they enjoy the game. Some do step up for the game and defend development process ect. (They get called Fanboys)
  • Satisfied customer without a forum account are enjoying the game in-game actually (Which goes unnoticed in most cases)

Is the game dying?

No.

Hell yes, now it is dying, but it won't die completely in the future (hopefully).

My opinion of course.

What is changed surely, is the behaviour of the developers.

And yes I am one of the people who whine about this. I still think it is important.

Maybe it is a too much serious/mature/old way of thinking, but the lack of communication ("No!" is the best we had obtained since a month and only because this forum has a topic that sounded dangerous, let's say) is something very bad for me.

So 3dxchat, for me, is dying right now because of the management of this product. It won't die only thanks to the "reborn" they announced.

Some more competition with another product would help a lot right now I am sure.

Kiss

Nion

Guest SayaX

Just my $0.02

Cat

I haven't been here two years yet, but I have looked back and even though there have been changes, in reality, there is nothing significant changed. Also, Unity 5 is seen as some huge upgrade that will fix the world's ills. In fact, it will be the same as it is now with some slightly enhanced graphics and some updated UI which they never got around to before.

I used to defend the devs and say to cut them some slack. Time and time again they lack any form of transparency with their community. Not all companies are transparent but look at the Development and Suggestions thread with all those topics started by gizmo asking for suggestions which are all just ignored. There are long running threads that go on and on asking for clarification from developers, yet they apparently do read them as there are people who get likes from gizmo. The thing that pisses me off the most is when Xanar posted about the ghost issue, and gizmo comes back and blames it on cheaters. That is no way to treat your customers.

The numbers probably are growing, but what is the retention rate? There are plenty of people who join the game and then get bored after two weeks. The ones who don't get bored are the people who find the members in the community that entertain or forge meaningful relationships. It is correct that the people in the forum are not representative of the community as a whole but typically the people on the forum are your most loyal and active members. They are the individuals in the community that will go out of their way and go the extra mile to make things better for others. Even the ones who complain a lot, if they didn't care, they would just leave. They obviously see potential, but they are just frustrated that the most passionate people are ignored.

I am an active person on the whole, but even I am losing some faith. One thing I cannot stand is when people say "that is just the way it is" and will not discuss it any further or a mod or admin just closes the topic. Things will never progress if we just say, "Oh, that is just the way it is", we have to challenge the status quo to make things better. If I see something as unfair, I believe it is on all of us to call the devs and the mods up on it, and the mods, devs and admins should be fully prepared to take constructive criticism and act on it rather than acting childishly, shifting blame to the community or ignoring it.

Back to Unity 5. Is it nice to have? Sure. Is it necessary? No. Graphically the game is already in a right place. What is the most important thing in this game? The community. Still, we have nothing in place where the community can quickly submit new content for the game. The customisation options for rooms and characters are limited to people resulting to Cheat Engine and hacked DLL's. Public DJs just got shafted as one person who held the plug pulled it. These are just three major complaints that keep coming up time and time again, and the devs do not respond or even look like they want to fix the issues.

The key point is that the most important part of this game is the community. Unless SGD starts to realise that, then the future doesn't look great. Unity 5 will just delay the inevitable if you (the devs) keep pissing off the community.

I find myself agreeing to a lot of SayaX's remarks.

I have been in here for over three years now, with different avatars. Many of the people on my long friends list have not shown their faces for ages now. I'm still here but it's because of people that can RP so well that I forget about the lack of pose variety, body art options, clothing options, etc...

Development has been DEAD for almost a year now. Updates have died down to a trickle, only a few of them containing things people actually asked for. I mean baseball caps and witches hats, really? I went to Second Life for a few months but couldn't deal with the interface from hell and the ageing renderer after a while.

I love how the fact that they are simply switching to a new version of Unity, with all the expected improvements that should come with that and a relatively minor effort for the developers except for updating 3dxchat to take advantage of the new possibilities, is being sold to us as a huge deal.

The falling tree is always making more noise than the growing wood (old chinese saying).

That's why there is so much more complaints than praise. But....

This forum and the whole way this game has been set up is to give its players the feeling that they are really part of this world. See the forum section "Development & Suggestions": It gives you the feeling that your suggestions are a wanted contribution. But I never had the feeling that those ever influenced the development of this game. And in all my time here, there never has been a kind of real dialogue between the devs and the community. And even the implementation of mods didn't changed that (even though especially Ash tried hard).

So is this game dying? I really don't think so - at least in the short run. It just changes. Maybe there are more subscribers than ever. But in my opinion there are a lot more "hoppers". Coming in and leaving after one or two month. That changed this community from my point of view. When I started it was hard to get in but after a while you just knew some people. It was always like comming home, even if you took a break for some time. That has - at least for me - gone.

I can see it at my friend list. As a rule of mine I just add people who I have talked to for a certain time. That nearly makes no sense any more because freshly added friends dissapear very quickly these days.

So I think that - by behaving like the devs do - they exchanged a smaller but very loyal community by a bigger but fluctuating community. If this is the right decision on the long run - I don't think so. But this is how it is....

^ I think that, and I could be wrong but I think that there is a thought that the game sells itself. So looking at the cost of acquiring a new customer versus keeping an existing customer is kind of like whatever. It goes deeper but I will try to be brief, basically that model works for mediocrity, breaking even and/or making enough to pay your salary. When it comes to long run sustainability it crumbles under competition.

A good summary Michaello. The only thing it (a bigger but fluctuating community) does do, of course, is provide more money for the coffers to, perhaps, enable the devs to enhance the game more effectively and improve its long term prospects.

Hell yes, now it is dying, but it won't die completely in the future (hopefully).

My opinion of course.

What is changed surely, is the behaviour of the developers.

And yes I am one of the people who whine about this. I still think it is important.

Maybe it is a too much serious/mature/old way of thinking, but the lack of communication ("No!" is the best we had obtained since a month and only because this forum has a topic that sounded dangerous, let's say) is something very bad for me.

So 3dxchat, for me, is dying right now because of the management of this product. It won't die only thanks to the "reborn" they announced.

Some more competition with another product would help a lot right now I am sure.

Kiss

Nion

Well, maybe what the developers, or in this case administrators needed to see, was a topic that asked the tough questions through a constructive tone. I don't think the topic sounds dangerous, but it is concerning.