3DXChat Community

DJing in public places... Rules make no sense

JessicaX

to back away from this drama im just going to say i would like to thank Achilles for putting it up for so long and the DJs who worked tirelessly to entertain people for so long. there are some truly quality djs here such as Achilles, Ash, Sammy, MissyB and others who have slipped my mind   All of you deserve a ton of credit for making this place more enjoyable on a daily basis and i will sincerely miss it. 

It was his free decision to pull the plug. No one forced him to do so. But also, no one should judge him. 

But what is next? No live deejaying any more in public places? Means also no official parties anymore (because partys with ordinary radio music sucks).

We will see. 

A last word on the rules of Achilles. I am also not a big fan of them. So it was clear for me that I will never do public deejaying here. I am fine with my room :)

But.... that's one way to deal with it. It is foolish to think that everybody must shut up because Achilles has paid for the servers. He has a monopoly, has full control about the radio stream slots of the public rooms. And he carried on like a king. No one could shake his rules. A shitstorm was only a matter of time.

So are those people raising their voices selfish? NO! As long as they are not getting abusive they are allowed to tell their opinion. As everybody :)

So I did.

lol, he was king since he paid for it. if you buy a house and have a friend stay over, does he make the rules of the house, no, you do. if you dont like it, dont be a live dj, that simple. nobody was forcing anyone to dj Unless im mistaken these were rules the djs agreed to. as i said before, you arent paying for live djs in your sub, was an extra.

Also, Im pretty sure nobody told jessica she didnt have a right to post what she did. Otherwise it would have been deleted. you dont have to agree with her and from the looks of it a lot dont. But by the same token others have that same right to post back if they dont agree. So dont try to twist stuff to make it seem like someone stopped her from posting. 

I am also wondering if half of you actually read what you post. You are saying that just because he bought the servers, he doesnt have a right to dictate what goes on those servers. That is truly the most asinine thing i have ever heard

it is HIS house... 3dx does not provide the Streaming System for the public rooms... only the radiostreams. Achilles bought the server licenses and provided it to the community. So his server... his rules... quite easy. And he stands in the line of fire. German law is not this nice for copyright violations... ergo each one who uses HIS servers has to follow HIS rules. 

Also, Im pretty sure nobody told jessica she didnt have a right to post what she did. Otherwise it would have been deleted. you dont have to agree with her and from the looks of it a lot dont. But by the same token others have that same right to post back if they dont agree. So dont try to twist stuff to make it seem like someone stopped her from posting. 

Who do you mean? 

I am also wondering if half of you actually read what you post. You are saying that just because he bought the servers, he doesnt have a right to dictate what goes on those servers. That is truly the most asinine thing i have ever heard

Rob, before you call anyone an idiot (who else would say "asinine" things???), you should read my arguments. Achilles HAS the deejaying monopoly here. So he must live with criticism which is, in the point of content unlimited, absolutely appropriate. 

i dont

Who do you mean? 

Rob, before you call anyone an idiot (who else would say "asinine" things???), you should ready my arguments. Achilles HAS the deejaying monopoly here. So he must live with criticism which is, in the point of content unlimited, absolutely appropriate. 

no he doesnt, you are free to dj in your room and he has no say. so thats not true. on the live djing, yes he did but why wouldnt he since he supplied the service. It was his ass on the line, not anyone elses. . i can only say this so many times..... nobody forced anyone to be a live dj, it isnt a persons right to be a dj. you abide by the rules or you dont do it. You dont have to agree to the rules but you do have to follow them.  If not then dont dj. that simple

You are correct in saying he must live with the criticism but by the same token you must live with the fact he made a decision to end all the crap he has endured and just pull the plug

it is HIS house... 3dx does not provide the Streaming System for the public rooms... only the radiostreams. Achilles bought the server licenses and provided it to the community. So his server... his rules... quite easy. And he stands in the line of fire. German law is not this nice for copyright violations... ergo each one who uses HIS servers has to follow HIS rules. 

if i could like this 100 times i would. very well said

Guest Twiggy

Both CU and Mixcloud have blanket licenses that allow DJs to stream music, their entire service was designed for this type of public streaming. The requirements do vary by country to cover this, the venue (the server it was being hosted on) needs to cover the additional license.

Either way, playing music from Google Music, iTunes and Amazon Music should all fall under the same scrutiny as CU. Because I can tell you these three services were not meant for stream music to the public, like CU was meant for.

Nailed it.

Snowbelle a blanket license does not cover a streaming service, it is not even meant for the Internet, it is meant for things like live performances, shopping malls and restaurants.

Unless things have changed dramatically over the last 2 years that is how it is.

There are heaps of websites offering music and saying they have licensing covered under blanket licenses, or at least there was.

The music industry, mainly the 3 top labels have been slowly cleaning them out.

It is a miss conception that blanket licenses cover a range of music licensing and has been a problem for some time now.

But if you contact SESAC they will tell you all this, they did me when i contacted them a little over 2 years ago.

They will explain exactly what blanket licensing is and what it is meant for, and also what it is agilely being used for.

If you are streaming music to others a blanket license does not cover you.

There are websites like these that will give you everything you need to supply a radio station or DJ over the Internet, some of them do have music covered by the correct licensing to stream that music to you.

But if you stream that music out to others then it is up to you to obtain a license to do so.

If you read through their terms you will not find anywhere where they say you are actually licensed to further stream that music to others.

They could not possibly do that for $9.90 a month and pay the royalties that they would have to pay, it would be much much more than they get from supplying the service for $9.90 a month.

The ones that do do it legally are like $60 a month 40 hours, if you stream to less than 100 people on average.

They supply a means of getting all the required data they need to be able to pay the correct royalties that you use in shoutcast.

When you use those services that info is automatically sent to them so they can supply that information when they pay SESAC the royalties owing so it goes to the right people.

You can stream from a number of places, you do not even have to own the music, it can be streamed from places that do like iTunes and others.

But if you stream that music out to others then you are responsible for the correct licensing and payment of royalties.

An that cannot be covered by any blanket license, no matter what it says on any websites that is how it is.

As I have said, you don't have to take my word for it, phone the licensing agencies like SESAC and find out for yourself.

Now I have gone through content unlimitted and virtual dj and found the only thing I can find on the subject.

Note what I have highlighted in bold.

So all our ContentUnlimited catalogs (Audio, Karaoke and Video), only contain tracks that are fully compliant with this.

(note: the right of public use from the sound recording copyright that we are talking about here is not the same as the right of public performance from the master work copyright, for which your venue still needs to pay fees to ASCAP/BMI/SESAC)

If you want to see a website that does do it correctly, look at the one I have supplied a link to below.

Notice the pricing and how it is done using TLH and ATH calculations, that is the way it is done.

https://www.streamlicensing.com/?action=page&page=pricing

You need to retrieve the ISRC code from songs, these guys have a setup that automatically does that as you DJ in Shoutcast, see where it talks about that.

Content Unlimited does seem to say they supply tracks with the correct information in the metadata for them to draw the required information, namely the ISRC code.

But I would say from what has gone on Achilles found a problem with them.

But they do not supply you with the license that makes it legal for you to broadcast that track, you have to do that.

And if I understand things correctly, Achilles did something like this and is why he was so insistent on certain rules being followed and only songs played that had the correct metadata on them.

He paid the correct licensing to allow the public DJs to be covered.

3dx provide the slot to enter any public radio station url into any room. Thats how we stream to our own rooms. So tell me, how can I request that MY url gets entered? So that anybody in a public location can listen to MY stream? I guess until yesterday I need to talk to Achilles, right? Since we is the (unofficial) responsible person for this.

What he did, and that's something I respect, don't misunderstand me in this point, he pioneered the public deejaying here. But that gives him not the power to dictate the rules. 

His server, his rule... I can't hear that anymore. No other arguments left? Yes, it is his server but no one else has the possibility to do the same as him, is that right? If not, please correct me. 

"German law is not this nice for copyright violations" - yes I know... I am also from germany kash :) If you buy a song you will never buy the right to stream it. So if you follow Achilles rule it is still illegal. And that's a fact! 

Guest Twiggy

Chloe you can enter what ever URL in your room radio you like, that is not what this is all about.

If you want to stream to your own room, either legally or not, it is up to you.

This is about the streaming done in Public locations that was set up by Achilles and seen as official DJing.

Chloe you can enter what ever URL in your room radio you like, that is not what this is all about.

If you want to stream to your own room, either legally or not, it is up to you.

This is about the streaming done in Public locations that was set up by Achilles and seen as official DJing.

I never said anything different. It's all about the official deejaying thing in this thread.

I don't like the arguments in the style of "eat or die". 

Maybe we have a big communication problem here. What i can read here: everyone is guessing what kind of licenses Archilles paid for. Everything is nebulous. Maybe because it is still not legal (of even worse: can't be at all) to do public deejaying at all. What we have now are pissed off people on all sides. And, that's an unwritten fact, you can't blame on side for that. 

"Lets see if it can be done better by anyone" ... What about if we all can do it better? I thought we are a community here. Solo numbers only work in TV and if your name is Rambo. What we need is transparency. And by the way, I would donate for a legal DJ network on a monthly base because I think live music is a cornerstone for a social platform like 3dx.

Its not trolling its the sad truth. Everyone complains but isnt able to do it better.

In my opinion its time for the nay-sayers to step up their game and show how it is done, instead of moaning about the monopolist and not beeing able to have a say ect. ect.

The current situation is looking all-bark-none-bite to me. Thats why I am sitting back aswell and watch things develop or not (which is more likely)

I'd just like to add that I would also donate monthly to support a Public DJ system in this game. I would do so with no sense of entitlement.

This is for sure great attitude but sadly would in my eyes only lead up into new drama like:

"Hey...I pay for public DJ System here...so make me a public DJ NOW!!!!111ELEVEN!!!" ;)

I mean we already had that most likely also before even without anybody (except of Achilles) additionally paying for public DJ system:

"Hey...I pay for 3DX...and hey I pay for my (private) stream servers...and...and hey...I pay for electricity....!!!! So make me a public DJ here NOW!!!!111ELEVEN" ;)

A Déjà Vu or just an error in the matrix then? ;)

Sad but true: if devs are clever they won't create any new public DJing system here after all the things that was happening and written here on forum.

After all: just my 2 cents.

After reading this and the topic-related threats I have to say that the radio streams are not the streams the community wants but the streams the community deserves.

Nevertheless, a big thank you to Achillles and all the public DJs for your efforts to provide this community with awesome streams and parties. THANK YOU!

@Nikki...... after the answer of Kashara now the next meaningless post  .... thats trolling 

please come back to the topic.

you have no idea what trolling is, you and Chloe need to google the word. Odd how its ok for you guys to state your opinion and when she does its trolling. get a clue... and a dictionary