3DXChat Community

DJing in Public Places (attempt #2)

DocQ

It seems my first violated some kind of rules so I am going to attempt to try this again...

I have been playing 3dx chat for about 2 years now and it is a very interesting with people playing from all over the world.  It makes the game fun and with all these different people, there are bound to be different tastes of Music.  About 4 months ago I started DJing in my room for people that have the same tastes as I do when it comes to music.  I am a drummer in real life and I prefer to listen to music with a good beat and power to it.  I like some harder rock, regardless of the year it is from.... If it has a beat, I would like to hear it.

After a couple of months of doing this there were a few people that suggested to me that I should start DJing in public places because they liked my music and said I had a good voice for it.  Since I had previously worked as a DJ in  radio station just out of high school I said sure, why not.  I talked to my friend who is a DJ already in the game and able to play everywhere and he said I would need to get with the lead DJ as he is the only one that can grant this.  So I have sent numerous messages to this person without very much luck. 

I am not asking for this to make money because none of the DJ's are paid.

I paid for my own copy of Virtual DJ, monthly fees for shout cast, and fees for my music from Itunes (I don't play illegal music).

All I am asking for is an Audition to be able to play something then the normal music that is played in public places.  There is hardly any other DJ's playing at the time the I log in, in my mornings.

Another aspect that I question is why a DJ would get on and play the same type of music that is already playing in the club, unless they are taking requests, why not give people a variety?

If you have heard me DJ and support me, please let me know by posting here

Thanks for your time.

DocQ

there are too many rules etc to become a official 3dx DJ

The rules are in place because some people take the music stuff a bit to easy. Especially when it come to legality questions. As host of a stream you always responsible for whats playing on there...

And if someone streams illegal content you get some serious penalty for that. In worst case you go to prison for 5 years. Its a written law in Achilles country and they take it very serious there. While illegal downloaded music might be not so bad in other countries in germany its not taken lightly. And I am very sure if you d be in his place you dont want to go to prison either just because some ppl want to cheapskate by downloading Youtube songs or just download huge libaries via Torrent.

Easy fix, tell Achilles to move to Candanda

No problem :)

And I do also not discuss about the DJ Rules because each point is a kind of honor to support the song Artists, Labels & Music Industries... Without this guys you haven't also no Songs for your Audiences where you want to entertain. You can't play the game also not for free or on a illegal way, because if no one pay his membership isn't the game there.

Entertain People with stolen and Illegal Downloaded content isn't DJing in my opinion.

But to this day where the ppl doesn't want my support any more in 3DXChat I will go wordless and spend my free time for other stuff ;)

Regardless of whether it is illegal to use or not, you shouldn't do it because the artist does this for a living...its like if we went to our jobs and had to work for free.

Its all about the music and the feelings we get in our body and soul when we listen to it...being able to get lost in the moment and enjoyment.  Lets remember that...

I've been a couple of times into your rock room DocQ, good music, funny and with a really great voice DJ, great people and ambience...ohh and Fairy in a cage, all that made it a 10/10 experience :D

Ok jokes apart, I support you for any DJ related adventures, it's really nice to have something different in this game, not only for your great taste in music, but also for the good vibes that you give to the public.

Guest Twiggy

Oh you have a mini skirt club Doc, that would be right, lol

I remember you use to make all us girls wear skirts to be able to dance on the DJ stage in NC.

I have to say it was fun though, we had some good times and laughs when you were doing that so you have my support for DJing.

Just make sure you save me a prime dance spot for me and my skirt when I come back in.

Guest MeganMasters

I know Doc always get his music the legit way and he provides a great diversity we dont hear in every room. I hope he gets to show his stuff asap. I would love to hear him playing in public places

Guest SayaX

I don't think this is a case of buying the song legally or even streaming the song legally using a service like Apple Music or Spotify. To play music legally in public then you need a license to play it. I have been doing some research and that is around £600-800 per year to legally stream music. There are probably very few who have such a license even the "official" 3DX DJs.

There is also the issue of who you let stream. I have DJed for months now with parties every week usually attracting 50-70 people a week. I take requests legally using Apple Music and I have a good reputation in 3DX. Not just in Temple of Lust but also previously in Eros Mama Group where rock nights became a staple of Friday nights. I think there are a few that could make the same case.

While I understand that Achillies and Ash have a tough job and have a lot of requests to stream in public places I can understand the frustrations of DJs (myself included) who have large followings, legal music and able to support up to 200 people yet receive push back.

Obviously I completely agree that music should be legally acquired in the first place. However, if a DJ is popular and has a large following in 3DX then they should be given an opportunity because that ultimately brings more people to the public areas which is good for the 3DX community.

One objection I do have is how official 3DX DJs can just come and change the public stream in public rooms as and when the mood takes them. If a member is granted permission to stream in a public area then it should only be for pre-planned events. This way it makes it a lot fairer for all. For example, rather than having an "official" DJ for Sin Club, have guest DJs that are given access during a specified time and date. This gives other rock DJs a chance. Same is true for all other public areas. This is by no means a dig at the official DJs and will happily work beside them to make the whole thing a bit fairer for all.

I don't think this is a case of buying the song legally or even streaming the song legally using a service like Apple Music or Spotify. To play music legally in public then you need a license to play it. I have been doing some research and that is around £600-800 per year to legally stream music. There are probably very few who have such a license even the "official" 3DX DJs.

There is also the issue of who you let stream. I have DJed for months now with parties every week usually attracting 50-70 people a week. I take requests legally using Apple Music and I have a good reputation in 3DX. Not just in Temple of Lust but also previously in Eros Mama Group where rock nights became a staple of Friday nights. I think there are a few that could make the same case.

While I understand that Achillies and Ash have a tough job and have a lot of requests to stream in public places I can understand the frustrations of DJs (myself included) who have large followings, legal music and able to support up to 200 people yet receive push back.

Obviously I completely agree that music should be legally acquired in the first place. However, if a DJ is popular and has a large following in 3DX then they should be given an opportunity because that ultimately brings more people to the public areas which is good for the 3DX community.

One objection I do have is how official 3DX DJs can just come and change the public stream in public rooms as and when the mood takes them. If a member is granted permission to stream in a public area then it should only be for pre-planned events. This way it makes it a lot fairer for all. For example, rather than having an "official" DJ for Sin Club, have guest DJs that are given access during a specified time and date. This gives other rock DJs a chance. Same is true for all other public areas. This is by no means a dig at the official DJs and will happily work beside them to make the whole thing a bit fairer for all.

Well, lets face it.. the default music in most areas is not awesome, so i find it hard to believe that anyone would be upset that an official DJ took over the default stream. Also, there's not many active public DJs anyhow. The only other person I have seen that i would call "regularly active" is Nixxx. So it's not going to be an issue of someone never getting their chance.

Sometimes im in LI and just feel like playing my own music and taking requests on a whim. Sometimes I am just sitting in FC and feel like mixing myself. I personally have not had anyone complain when I have done so, but everyone has diff tastes so I guess it's possible, but on a whole, people usually love it when someone else takes over.

Someone mentioned earlier about it not making sense that we would play the same kind of music that is normally playing in that area. Well, that's not going to change because the theme has to remain the same, thats one of the rules. When I take requests at LI, sometimes I have to tell people... "I'm sorry I cannot play (Slayer - Angel of Death) for obvious reasons". :)

In the end, I think it would be a good thing to have more official DJs who are more active, but I also think there should be a set limit on how many people are official or else those special times when people do take over the stream will not be so special anymore.

It just seems like it has turned into a popularity contest instead of having great DJ's all the time.  I have heard of people waiting longer then me, that get by passed by the DJ that shall not be named, and they will give auditions to people that are brand new to the game...

Then there is the part that EDM music is playing at the Fresco, and A DJ will take over and just continue to play EDM music.  Just doesn't make since to me, lets have DJ's play a variety of music, not just the same thing that would be playing anyway....

Being a DJ is all about entertaining people.  Most DJ's dont even talk over the mic, let alone take requests or entertain people...

When I was working at a radio station years ago, they encouraged talking and joking around with the fan base, not jsut putting them to sleep playing song after song after song.

It just seems like it has turned into a popularity contest instead of having great DJ's all the time.  I have heard of people waiting longer then me, that get by passed by the DJ that shall not be named, and they will give auditions to people that are brand new to the game...

Then there is the part that EDM music is playing at the Fresco, and A DJ will take over and just continue to play EDM music.  Just doesn't make since to me, lets have DJ's play a variety of music, not just the same thing that would be playing anyway....

Being a DJ is all about entertaining people.  Most DJ's dont even talk over the mic, let alone take requests or entertain people...

When I was working at a radio station years ago, they encouraged talking and joking around with the fan base, not jsut putting them to sleep playing song after song after song.

Talking is ok if its minimal. I mean, just me personally, i want to hear the music, I dont want the music turned down every 30 sec so the DJ can have conversations with people in the room. 

But the thing with FC... it's a club. EDM is the theme. It's no diff than playing love music at LI, Thats how its supposed to be. NC is themed for 80s, 90s, pop, etc.  I dont think many people would be happy if we started playing rock in FC. People go there expecting EDM.

Locations are genre themed theese days. Every location features a different genre that we think matches the environmental. Also the music that plays on the stream is selected to fit the locations. Its not some "random" music that plays there when no DJ is live.

Its handselected and very carefully chosen.

The 3DXchat DJ Networkstreams arent supposed to be radio filled with chatter of the DJ's and playing Top 100 Charts. Its supposed to be unique, handcrafted and matching up the location.

Also as I said before: Theres two kinds of DJ's. Party DJ's that take requests and talk to the crowd alot regardless of the quality of there sets (Mixing Rock with EDM as example) and then theres the DJ's that spend hours to prepare their sets by setting up cues and carefull choosing tracks to match up each other, to create a constant flowing set. Both types have a place in this world and both type have their advantages and disadvantages.

By simply saying, a DJ that never talks or doesent accept requests from the crowd is putting the people to sleep is just rude and unfair. Give respect get respect. Its as simple as that.

Yes but playing Rock could solve the issue of people getting sick all the time from all the radioactive waves that come from listening to too much EDM...

I dont think I will post an opinion about your narrow view of genres. As your thread is also leading nowhere

The only other person I have seen that i would call "regularly active" is Nixxx. So it's not going to be an issue of someone never getting their chance.

You should visit other locations too. Not everyone plays in Fresco all the time. :)

I know that OliU and Darkangel are very active in Sin, and I am regulary playing on the Yacht.