3DXChat Community

A social game implies social behaviour

Michaello

Heya community and especially heya devs!

Now I'm here for one and a half year, following this game and this community intensely. I've read a lot of post where people complained about that this game has changed a lot and I've read the answers that totally denied that complains and that said that it's just normal that everything changes and that there is no point in complaining about that and that - after all - it's your own fault if you "allow" these changes.

A long time I just gave this answer to myself, too, when I felt pity about how this game evolved. But something was still itching in my mind when I thought about it and finally I think I know what it is:

I totally have forgotten about theories in social behaviour and how a stimulus will provoke a reaction. And in this game the devs are giving us a lot of stimuli just by giving us the updates. And that - from my point of view - changed the behaviour of this community a lot more than the just passing time. To give you an idea what I'm talking about:

• Invitation to user rooms
    ​In the past there was the possibility to invite all players online to your room. Today you just can set your room on top of the list. But the consequence is not, that people will head to the room on top of the list but to the room that is most visited. So how do you attract people in an adult game to get the most visited room? Not by setting it on top of a list but by giving it a most explicit name. But that will attract mostly people that just want to have sex - including cold invites. That again will lead to the fact, that the chat will die and - mostly females - will become stressed and react rude to a contact. So the fun loving party atmosphere that has been when people just got invited and decided to be in a room of a well known friend or an attractive motto has gone.

In that kind there are a lot of examples like that (e.g. female clothes, poses, ignore system, character restriction, development of public places). All had and still have their impact on the behaviour of the players in this community. Most of that changes has been asked by that community. But I don't think that all of the consequences of this changes have been thought through by the community. Neither did the devs. But it I think it's a important task of the devs to do exactly this: Having a master plan on how to develope this game - not just in terms of graphical and feature development but by in terms of "social" game play as well.

Why do I type all this? First of all I just want to get rid of this ;-) And I want to give some food for thought and to have your opinion about this. And last but (really) not least I just want to complain on how this game has changed in a more constructive way ;-)

Cheers

Micha

You talk about social behaviour but the current system is more reflective of social norms than the previous open invitation which was so disliked by the community.

Currently you set up a party in a room, invite your friends and leave the door open to welcome others who wish to join - much like real life.

Under the previous system, you opened a room then simultaneously invited 500 ppl, 95% of whom you'd never met. Maybe for some ppl this is 'normal' in their rl, but such ppl are surely few and far between.

I have been in 3dxchat for 2 years, and after that time I felt it was time to leave. Not because the game changed, probably because I did, lol. But...did it change in that time? Yes, it certainly did. But I have the idea it changed for the better. Let me give you a few examples:

• Two years ago, approx 75% what you saw walking around was females, all dancing together and a few guys around them watching that. Now, its a bit more balanced, certainly many more male avatars visible when you walk into a room
  • The first half year I was there, almost all women complained about the rudeness of the average male. If I ask women about it today I often hear the comment that most guys are actually quite decent and nice
  • I also think that more women also joined the community. Ofc the there are still many more male members which makes sense it being a sex game, but as the game has become more social too, more female joined also

Of course I am not sure, it is also possible that in that time I view a different subsystem of the community, and that that makes it appear as if things changed, but it does feel a bit more mature and social.

We all know that the possibility of user rooms is nice, but it has changed the local chats in the public rooms. There is not much of that going on, probably also due to the possibility of group chats. And any change always has positive and negative effects, and its almost impossible to exactly predict an effect. History is full of examples of that, lol. One famous scientist said: predictions are always hard, especially about the future.

Overall I had a good time in 3dx, and it is still not having much competition. That will change, obviously. So I look back at many good adventures, and sometimes I do miss it. But in the end, reallife is what it is all about, people :)

• Invitation to user rooms

​In the past there was the possibility to invite all players online to your room. Today you just can set your room on top of the list. But the consequence is not, that people will head to the room on top of the list but to the room that is most visited. So how do you attract people in an adult game to get the most visited room? Not by setting it on top of a list but by giving it a most explicit name. But that will attract mostly people that just want to have sex - including cold invites. That again will lead to the fact, that the chat will die and - mostly females - will become stressed and react rude to a contact. So the fun loving party atmosphere that has been when people just got invited and decided to be in a room of a well known friend or an attractive motto has gone.

My past experience is that you can attract people to your room by having a reputation build around it.

As example my room was very popular in the past and it didnt have a name that was hinting for sexual activities. It was just a music room that served a niche genre that attracted many people and also thoose that were curious what the fuzz was all about. Also hosting constant activities at your room makes it interesting.

At a certain point you dont even need to set it up to the top anymore, as people know your room and join in happily. Its called snowball effect. More and more ppl get to know your room and after a certain time you grow the audience you want in your room. Of course there will always be thoose random colders and partner spammers around but they leave usually very quickly.

So to get to the point... its not the quantity of people you are able to drag into your room. Its the atmosphere of your room. Your concept and the reputation.

That is all.

hmmmm why pplz use big words when they post on forums? i don't have an answer to that and the question is rhetorical (HA! look look! a used a big word too :3 me iz smartz :D

now back to the thingy about bla-bla community bla-bla as Tipsy (hey sexy :D ) and Beccie said - cold invites we hated them and personally me i wanted to strangle  pplz when they did it especially is i was in my baw-chika-bow-wow mode with some one, having this nice a saucy RP going and BAM! some one keeps on hammering you with cold room invites...need i say more? it's like "no! you can't have private time until you come to my party! come to my party! come now!"...FFS!!! 

Now about room names and popularitatied(WHAT?), the room and pplz , how to get them in - knowing ppl helps :D 

Rooms in my opinion(i typed "onion" 3 times before i got this word right*facepalms*) are private places you invite your friends over, you don't just open your front door in RL and shout out of the window "COME IN!", so in that respective(smart word :3 ) the game got more real.

I fail to understand what you mean by "master plan" and "social game play", i think we got everything we need for that - profiles + pictures and we even have a chat :D that window where words appear and little one where you can type - that is for social thingies :D we have it already YAY :D

If you asking for more things to do, do what i do, i play pool on FB(facebook :3 ) and other online game with my friends, skype talks some times even, group chats with cams you name it - we do it all, so you can do the same if you want, nothing stopping you from that :D now go do it! 

much love, 

Sky :3

If spam invites the problem couldn't you just put some kind of restraint on how often you can send a global invite out, maybe let you click option off on receiving invitation to public user rooms off too?

But on a side note think rooms name and theme also has a lot to do with which rooms is visited, those who just want to have sex or cold invite someone to it. Will mostly go to rooms with fuck/sex/gangbang or orgy in name. Those that just want to dance or socialize will look for something that sound like a more normal type of party.

Heya,

thanks for all your replies.

Yes - my example is talking about the time where we had random invites. And there would have been other possibilities to solve that problem like Kimmy stated.

But - and sorry if I did not express myself very clearly in my post - this is not a post about the room system but a post about the change of the game play. I just wanted to state out that if you change features in this game it will not just have the effect of an additional feature but it will influence the way people behave in this game. And for me this change is a bit disappointing (you're on the lucky side if you like that game even more right now ;)). And I'm concerned that this fact is not looked at or managed in any way but it just happens. And if that is true, this game will evolve on a random basis what will lead to many complains like it is now...​

Hmmm.... pretty interesting... I talk about the impact on gameplay and all what you guys are concerned of is the spam invitation of the old system. :huh:

But somehow that's an answer to my post, as well... ;)

Peace and fun

Mich

Mich: The week before they pulled the plug on room invitation spam, we were getting so many during peak hours that some people could literally not read their chat window. The stupid invite icons would cover the lower half of the screen. It was awful. 

The spam invites did impact the game. They were a constant annoyance, making it very unpleasant to log on sometimes as you spent most of your tim. e getting rid of them. It also caused drama in chat windows with the people who constantly did it. As for the game now, I am happy with the way it is, of course apart from the slowness of updates, but even now they are more frequent to when I first started.

• 3 weeks later...