3DXChat Community

RETURN OF THE MONSTER LETTERS

Leeloo

What irks me about this matter is that the devs response is rather binary:

Issue: People complain about giant letters in HTML codes

Solution: Remove HTML altogether

Why not just remove size ? >_<

I get that Achilles said it's a bug, but not why not work to solve it instead of just removing all tags? Really, I hope this doesn't get approached this way again. As the a co-owner of a club I'll say that I'll be very disappointed if I can't use colors for my announcements and greetings.

What irks me about this matter is that the devs response is rather binary:

Issue: People complain about giant letters in HTML codes

Solution: Remove HTML altogether

Why not just remove size ? >_<

I get that Achilles said it's a bug, but not why not work to solve it instead of just removing all tags? Really, I hope this doesn't get approached this way again. As the a co-owner of a club I'll say that I'll be very disappointed if I can't use colors for my announcements and greetings.

Because the chat is HTML based, held by the server. So the HTML is all as one package. Meaning you remove one, you remove all, it's like trying to remove a HTML function from a website, it will break the whole thing. ^^ As the servers chat is web based server side so the text sent and received is HTML based. So means that you aren't able to limit individual tags as they are as a whole, to do with HTML. The only fix for it to remove one and keep the other is if they remove the whole of HTML usage but create their own mini chat functions like color choice etc... Similar to the forum, how you can choose different text parameters here. :)

I'm sure you know what goes on at 3DXChat more than I do but I don't understand. <color:red> and <size:20> aren't HTML. They might look like attributes for HTML but then they look like attributes for CSS and any number of other languages.  And, if they can modify whatever is parsing them to ensure that only <Color:red> and <Size:20> (i.e. starting with a capital letter) get through, surely they can make other mods just as easily.

I'm sure you know what goes on at 3DXChat more than I do but I don't understand. <color:red> and <size:20> aren't HTML. They might look like attributes for HTML but then they look like attributes for CSS and any number of other languages.  And, if chat can modify whatever is parsing them to ensure that only <Color:red> and <Size:20> (i.e. starting with a capital letter) get through, surely they can make other mods just as easily.

Hmm perhaps, but I am aware that there is a serious bug with the tags, which is requiring a removal, but I think as I said in my post above, it would be good if they made their own chat functions for the chat that require different modifications to the text. Will be easier to manage and limit then with like the sizes etc.

Far too easy for a change, it's making the time to go through and remedy the situation is what seems to be the issue.  To me it sounds like the effort into sorting the problem is on the back burner.  If it were me, I'd resolve the present issues then work on adding new things but of course testing it before putting out a patch for everyone then waiting to see what bugs come out.

It's really a bit tricky, it's an unique problem of an unique game engine :)

All trying to fix this one problem brings a lot new another problems :(

I think all know this feeling if you did same things in real! For example: I wanted to change this year my car radio and this one thing takes a lot other problems and now is my full car dismantled but I haven't still the radio and a lot new problems ^^

The same is it here, at least we will haven't coloured messages but a lot new bugs :rolleyes:

Some problems can only be fixed on her root and I think no one wants to dismantle the complete engine :D

I hope really in the future we get an alternate chat, maybe HTML/CSS based with user interface for change the size with an limit and emoticons, some different Fonts, like the post editor of the forum :) This would be awesome!

I think all know this feeling if you did same things in real! For example: I wanted to change this year my car radio and this one thing takes a lot other problems and now is my full car dismantled but I haven't still the radio and a lot new problems ^^

The same is it here, at least we will haven't coloured messages but a lot new bugs :rolleyes:

Some problems can only be fixed on her root and I think no one wants to dismantle the complete engine :D

I hope really in the future we get an alternate chat, maybe HTML/CSS based with user interface for change the size with an limit and emoticons, some different Fonts, like the post editor of the forum :) This would be awesome!

I wholeheartedly agree with you Achi bro, it would be nice to have a Chat Text editor built into the chat made by the Devs themselves to avoid all these issues. Let's hope in future, one will be made with more limits on it, like max size of 30 or something. :)

i dont get this thread at all .. so they use big letters sometimes .. read it and move on .. is it really that bad i mean lol ... ppl are just trying to have fun 

i was in NC last night and it got used a load in there .. didnt bother me one bit  ( shrug) 

dont mean to be nasty but at times i think half of you lot just complain for the sake of complaining .. as my dad used to say .. JUST GET ON WITH IT !!!  :P

Hello All,

Do we live under a  Dictatorship? Why gives us the use of colours then take it away a few days later?

I know it bugs someone people but we all pay our fees so why not put it to the people and have a vote on it.

Or at the very least allow us to use it in PMs.

Tell me how you all feel about it, guys.

Colours are colourful.

Fairy

Edited by Achilles
Topic "Colours In Chats" merged here

I'm sure you know what goes on at 3DXChat more than I do but I don't understand. <color:red> and <size:20> aren't HTML. They might look like attributes for HTML but then they look like attributes for CSS and any number of other languages.  And, if they can modify whatever is parsing them to ensure that only <Color:red> and <Size:20> (i.e. starting with a capital letter) get through, surely they can make other mods just as easily.

I'm pretty positive it's just HTML, though it's possible they use CSS. But you can still alter the contents within with HTML attributes.

If you typed into 3dx chatbox: <size=25><color=pink>hey!!!!</color></size>  --- the output might look something like this:

<font size="12" color="#ededed">Cordelia:</font> <font size="12" color="#94adb5"><font size=25 color=pink>hey!!!!</font></font>

Or if it used CSS..

<style type="text/css">
.username {color: #ededed; font-size: 12px;}
.message {color: #94adb5; font-size: 12px;}
</style>
<span class="username">Cordelia:</span> <span class="message"><font size=25 color=pink>hey!!!!</font></span>

All it's doing is wrapping text with its own font tag, inside of the original font (or class) tag.

Hello All,

Do we live under a  Dictatorship? Why gives us the use of colours then take it away a few days later?

I know it bugs someone people but we all pay our fees so why not put it to the people and have a vote on it.

Or at the very least allow us to use it in PMs.

Tell me how you all feel about it, guys.

Colours are colourful.

Fairy

Hi FairyDust :)

You should get the information behind this before you post.

This have nothing to do with a Dictatorship... ;)

Maybe if you read this topic you will understand.

Hi FairyDust :)

You should get the information behind this before you post.

This have nothing to do with a Dictatorship... ;)

Maybe if you read this topic you will understand.

Ok so I read most of the posts and people seem to be saying... "let's wait and see" and seems only a few are vehemently against it, so what am I missing?

Also why make it assessable for a couple of days then stop it?

Why not let it sort itself out naturally. I mean the more experienced users teaching or advising the newer players about the unspoken etiquette around the place?

From what I have been seeing on the chats....people seem to like and are having FUN..and isn't what this place is all about, FUN?

Beccie said it when she said it's like a new toy at Christmas and I'm sure the novelty will wear off and won't be abused.

It wasn't bring back, a player found a work around the previous block the Dev put on the html tag since there a game breaking bug that seen to been able to cause serious enough trouble to disable it.

I should have never been used a few days ago and this work around been disable.

It was never about abuse, it what people presume and jump to conclusions.

The whole chat seen to be in html and the extra tag cause troubles.

I don't have the details but my source are reliable.

Ok so I read most of the posts and people seem to be saying... "let's wait and see" and seems only a few are vehemently against it, so what am I missing?

Also why make it assessable for a couple of days then stop it?

Why not let it sort itself out naturally. I mean the more experienced users teaching or advising the newer players about the unspoken etiquette around the place?

From what I have been seeing on the chats....people seem to like and are having FUN..and isn't what this place is all about, FUN?

Beccie said it when she said it's like a new toy at Christmas and I'm sure the novelty will wear off and won't be abused.

HTML tags get removed soon again no worry :(

Because there is a unique bug inside of the tags and the only way to fix this is to block all tags...

Sad but it's how it is!

No one want punished the members who use this for fun and coloured messages but this bug is a little bit tricky...

Maybe comes soon a perfect solution for both sides, I hope so :)

I get that Achilles said it's a bug, but not why not work to solve it instead of just removing all tags? Really, I hope this doesn't get approached this way again. As the a co-owner of a club I'll say that I'll be very disappointed if I can't use colors for my announcements and greetings.

:)

It was never about abuse, it what people presume and jump to conclusions.

The whole chat seen to be in html and the extra tag cause troubles.

I don't have the details but my source are reliable.

Okay,, I get it....so maybe more and quicker updates would sooth the savage beast. Like how hard could it really be adding more clothes on a regular basis, like converse hi-tops? :). Personally I don't care about poses and alike but clothes and furniture. We all paying fairly pricey fees and the natives are getting restless. Evidenced by how excited people got about the colours.

This all started really when the advertising was taken out of the game, I mean the adds that used to pop up in all our faces no matter where we were.

People went to making html adds in world chat to let people know about events in their rooms, and really you can't blame them for doing that.

It's fine to say if we want to know who has what going on in their rooms we can just go to the room menu, but advertising will always be something that will let people know something is available that they may be interested in, even if they aren't looking.

Yes I can see the problem with the html that has been going on, to many to quickly, to big and so on.

It didn't particularly bother me but we have to consider the ones that it did bother.

It doesn't matter if it was a bug that caused it to be removed or not, the problem really is there is not much available to do any sort of advertising for your event.

My preference is I would rather see images added of a restricted size and done in a way where it cannot be over done, timed and restricted to room owners.

When in your room you are given the option to add an image advertisement to world chat of a restricted size.

to do this you make a jpg of that size and have it ready to upload, or maybe have it on one of the picture hosting sites.

you select the image and it appears in world chat.

you then cannot get that feature for a certain time so it is not flooding world chat with the same advertisement over and over.

The reason for it being to room owners only is to stop having friends pushing the same ad and flooding world chat.

People might say it would restrict people from being able to make the ads, but that happens anyway with html coding, so what would the difference be.

Some peoples should read better the meaning of this topic before accuse others of "dictatorship" or before say this is useless . This topic is not a complain about colorit's a complain about BIG LETTERS that polute the world chat in game repeteadly .

And if they was reading all the posts and not only the ones they can criticize , they would know that they was not removed because of the complain , but because of a game bug creating by these big letters and colors .

Some peoples should read better the meaning of this topic before accuse others of "dictatorship" or before say this is useless . This topic is not a complain about colorit's a complain about BIG LETTERS that polute the world chat in game repeteadly .

And if they was reading all the posts and not only the ones they can criticize , they would know that they was not removed because of the complain , but because of a game bug creating by these big letters and colors .

No I get.....I didn't realise here was a technical issue with it and said so earlier. If it the size of the font and not the colours causing the problem why disable both? Anyway I am over it now personally but watching the chats and talking to people, many people don't know about the bug issues with it. The vibe is that it was there and now it's not.

If i understood well (english is not my basic language) , they can't remove one without removing the other

Yes, they are one of the same as a package, you remove one, you have to remove all. As it's the tags themselves < > that had to be removed, meaning they couldn't just remove <size> as that would mean people could still figure a way out to use <size> if the <color> was active because they are one in the same thing. As HTML never was back properly in the first place, just players found a work around which caused it to be completely removed rather than how it was before, due to work arounds of it. It had a Game breaking bug in it. So in the current form it was either have HTML but risk the game being broken on all clients and requiring a server reboot (Which needs the devs to be around to do so, and they don't work weekends from what I gather, so it could of been if someone figured out the game breaking bug and used it let's say Friday, we wouldn't of had access to 3DX until Monday when the devs get back) So it was either colors and HTML all together or risk not playing the game for awhile. And I recall in the past when the server crashed once before many people were freaking out on the forum because they couldn't log in and get their 3DXFix so to speak hehe. xD

I hope this clears it up a bit. :)

p.s. I do hope they bring in their own version of text editors in the future, that can be more managed and limited to avoid bugs, that would be really nice!! ^_^

Regards

Ash