3DXChat Community

It seems that quite a few people have trouble finding an item after it has been merged into their layout so I have made this step-by-step fools guide to merging. I am not a builder this is just the process this novice uses.

1, 2 & 3 - VERY important; save your layout.

4, 5 & 6 - Clear all props.

7 to 13 - Find x=0 & z=0 by moving the landing zone to x=0 & z=0 or creating a large cone, rotating it to point down and then adding a flashing coloured light effect.

14 & 15. - Merge your item and now, because there are no other props it is easier to see it or you can use the click and drag function (pic 15) to locate the merged item.

16, 17 & 18 - Use the positioning arrows to move the item to just below the big cone pointer.

19 & 20 - Select the pointer AND the merged item but DO NOT group them and now 'Save selected to file'. Save it as something slightly different to the original file so you know this is the one at 0x0.

21. Reload your original layout.

22. create a block or another of the big pointer cones from step 12 and again, set x & z to 0 and raise it a little higher than sea level. You now know where 0x0 is on your layout. You can delete the locater now that you have made a mental note where 0x0 is.

23 & 24. Now select 'Merge from file' again this time choosing the modified item. Because a merged item will appear at the last point it was saved (in this case x=0 & z=0) and because you now know where 0x0 is on your layout you know exactly where the merged item will appear. You can now select the cone on its own and delete it. 

Merge 01 location.png

Merge 02 customize.png

Merge 03 save.png

Merge 04 clear.png

Merge 05 warning.png

Merge 06 cleared.png

Merge 07 gizmo.png

Merge 08 landing.png

Merge 09 landing 0x0.png

Merge 10 cone 01.png

Merge 11 cone 02.png

Merge 12 cone 03.png

Merge 13 cone 04.png

Merge 14 merge.png

Merge 15 find.png

Merge 16 select.png

Merge 17 move.png

Merge 18 position.png

Merge 19 select.png

Merge 20 save.png

Merge 21 reload.png

Merge 22 0x0.png

Merge 23 merge.png

Merge 24 merged.png

Nice tip or tutorial but maybe you should change title to something more like merging objects from file into your project and finding it. Seeing title you could easily think its more tutorial on how to grouping things up and managing merging and unmerging objects. But again nice and useful tutorial.

Or just load the default room, since many build / items are made around that location, clear all, merge the item, locate the item , click on it, load the room you want it in, and just locate the cursor as it remembers the last thing it clicked and that is a marker in it self.

Or if you are like me and build all over the place, use a bright sun as a reference point as well since it is static and then merge, click, load the room you want it in, make sure the weather have the same sun and move towards the sun until you see the cursor.

• 9 months later...

for some I am sure it is great.  Does not help me since I don't understand a word of what you are saying.  It is greek to me.  Looks like I will continue finding builders to do my mergers for me to create the rooms I want.  Works out for them.  I get what I want and they are compensated for their time and expertise.  Got an Orgy Club I need to have some stuff merged into, will have to wait until I have someone that knows what they are doing.  I got the stuff set up and deleted items out of the club to make the transition.  Easy for me.

• 2 weeks later...