3DXChat Community

Help! My World has disappeared

kennyjdash

I had switched from customizing to go to my world and now suddenly it has completely vanished. Please help! I've worked on my world for over a year now and I will be completely devastated if it has been deleted somehow. Is there any way to recover all of my work that I've done? I don't understand at all why this happened! 

I don`t think so, I lost one of my builds a while back, all that was left of it was the water, anything else was gone, but luckily i had a save so i only lost a couple of hours of work. Save often on more than one place has been my mantra ever since then.

3 hours ago, kennyjdash said:

I had switched from customizing to go to my world and now suddenly it has completely vanished. Please help! I've worked on my world for over a year now and I will be completely devastated if it has been deleted somehow. Is there any way to recover all of my work that I've done? I don't understand at all why this happened! 

Sometimes the game does weird stuff, so when in the world editor, be sure to ALWAYS save your work! At the minimum, save your work before you close the editor. Preferably as you go.

Also keep in mind for all the new members, everything you do in the World Editor is all local files, meaning they are only on your PC. They are not saved on the server until you load it to the server. Once it has been loaded to the server it will always be there. The game does it's best to save your last instance, but as you have found out, it doesn't always work 100%, so it is best practice to save your work as you go or before you close your editor. Now in case of crashes, you are screwed, because if it crashes while you are editing you will lose everything unless it is saved to your PC.

I hope this cleared some things up for you, and hang in there, the world editor has it's quirks and can do weird things sometimes.

Good Luck!

3 hours ago, kennyjdash said:

🇫🇷 Bonjour,

En effet c'est embêtant quand on travail des heures et qu'on perd son travail.
Comme l'ont dit Nuheni et SerinityWillow, sauvegarde régulièrement ton travail. A chaque fois que tu crées un objet, et que tu le places, ou à chaque fois que tu fais des modifications majeurs.
Attention, aussi, le jeu peux crasher quand tu dupliques des objets, alors sauvegarde ton fichier avant de dupliquer quelque chose. Je sais, c'est contraignant, mais quand tu as bossé plusieurs heures et que tu perds tout parce que tu dupliques un élément ou un foutu objet et que ça coupe, c'est frustrant, voir rageant.
Autre chose bonne à savoir, quand le jeu te déconnecte. C'est à dire quand tu vois l'image rouge t'indiquant "déconnecté" tu peux encore continuer à travailler ET tu peux sauvegarder ton travail ! Tu seras juste hors connexion.
Alors ne panique pas.
Quand tu auras finis, que tu reviendras pour te re connecter, et que tu retourneras dans ton monde, tu ne verras pas tes modifications. C'est normal. Tu n'auras qu'à charger ton fichier sauvegardé "hors connexion". Ainsi, tu retrouveras tout ton travail effectué. ;)

----------------------------------------

🇺🇸 Hello,

Indeed it is annoying when you work hours and you lose your job.
As Nuheni and SerinityWillow said, save your work regularly. Every time you create an object, and place it, or every time you make major changes.
Also, the game can crash when you duplicate items, so save your file before you duplicate anything. I know, it's hard, but when you've worked for hours and you lose everything because you duplicate an item or a damn object and it crashes, it's frustrating, even annoying.
Another good thing to know, when the game disconnects you. That is, when you see the red image indicating "disconnected" you can still continue working AND you can save your work! You will just be offline.
So don't panic.
When you finish, come back to log in, and go back to your world, you won't see your changes. This is normal. You'll just have to load your saved file "offline". This way, you will find all your work done ;)

Edited by Khallum Troy

5 hours ago, kennyjdash said:

It happens sometimes. Try to log out and connect again. There has been a glitch around for years now.

11 hours ago, SerenityWillow said:

Sometimes the game does weird stuff, so when in the world editor, be sure to ALWAYS save your work! At the minimum, save your work before you close the editor. Preferably as you go.

Also keep in mind for all the new members, everything you do in the World Editor is all local files, meaning they are only on your PC. They are not saved on the server until you load it to the server. Once it has been loaded to the server it will always be there. The game does it's best to save your last instance, but as you have found out, it doesn't always work 100%, so it is best practice to save your work as you go or before you close your editor. Now in case of crashes, you are screwed, because if it crashes while you are editing you will lose everything unless it is saved to your PC.

I hope this cleared some things up for you, and hang in there, the world editor has it's quirks and can do weird things sometimes.

Good Luck!

Thank you. I should have mentioned in my post that I DO save my work constantly. I've been working on it for over a year now. All I did was I left my world to switch to customize and thats when everything was gone. Just standing in a never ending body of water.  The file that I've been saving my world to is still there. Is there something I can do with that? I've opened it , just to see what it would do and it pulls up a long long list of codes. Which i was able to understand that the codes are for every single item I've placed. I scrolled down to the very bottom of the list and the codes for the last items i had placed, before this happened, was listed.

11 hours ago, Khallum Troy said:

🇫🇷 Bonjour,

En effet c'est embêtant quand on travail des heures et qu'on perd son travail.
Comme l'ont dit Nuheni et SerinityWillow, sauvegarde régulièrement ton travail. A chaque fois que tu crées un objet, et que tu le places, ou à chaque fois que tu fais des modifications majeurs.
Attention, aussi, le jeu peux crasher quand tu dupliques des objets, alors sauvegarde ton fichier avant de dupliquer quelque chose. Je sais, c'est contraignant, mais quand tu as bossé plusieurs heures et que tu perds tout parce que tu dupliques un élément ou un foutu objet et que ça coupe, c'est frustrant, voir rageant.
Autre chose bonne à savoir, quand le jeu te déconnecte. C'est à dire quand tu vois l'image rouge t'indiquant "déconnecté" tu peux encore continuer à travailler ET tu peux sauvegarder ton travail ! Tu seras juste hors connexion.
Alors ne panique pas.
Quand tu auras finis, que tu reviendras pour te re connecter, et que tu retourneras dans ton monde, tu ne verras pas tes modifications. C'est normal. Tu n'auras qu'à charger ton fichier sauvegardé "hors connexion". Ainsi, tu retrouveras tout ton travail effectué. ;)

----------------------------------------

🇺🇸 Hello,

Indeed it is annoying when you work hours and you lose your job.
As Nuheni and SerinityWillow said, save your work regularly. Every time you create an object, and place it, or every time you make major changes.
Also, the game can crash when you duplicate items, so save your file before you duplicate anything. I know, it's hard, but when you've worked for hours and you lose everything because you duplicate an item or a damn object and it crashes, it's frustrating, even annoying.
Another good thing to know, when the game disconnects you. That is, when you see the red image indicating "disconnected" you can still continue working AND you can save your work! You will just be offline.
So don't panic.
When you finish, come back to log in, and go back to your world, you won't see your changes. This is normal. You'll just have to load your saved file "offline". This way, you will find all your work done ;)

Thank you. 

How do I load my saved file "offline"? The file I saved everything to is still on my computer. 

Glad to hear that you could recover your room 😀

When I build bigger projects that takes days / weeks / months, I save my project every day with another name, e.g. "project1.world", "project2.world", etc.
Of course I might end up with 80 or more versions, but this way you can go back if something didn't work out and you need a previous version of the room.
It sometimes happens that you delete an object without realising it, and only find out a couple days later.

And of course: copy your saves to other locations every other day: external hard drives, NAS, cloud, etc.! That's the most important rule.

1 hour ago, Diana Prince said:

Glad to hear that you could recover your room 😀

When I build bigger projects that takes days / weeks / months, I save my project every day with another name, e.g. "project1.world", "project2.world", etc.
Of course I might end up with 80 or more versions, but this way you can go back if something didn't work out and you need a previous version of the room.
It sometimes happens that you delete an object without realising it, and only find out a couple days later.

And of course: copy your saves to other locations every other day: external hard drives, NAS, cloud, etc.! That's the most important rule.

Rule number one in every editor: Save files one time more as one time to less. Auto save option would be heaven. 🙂

On 3/7/2023 at 5:03 AM, kennyjdash said:

@kennyjdashJust FYI this same exact thing happened to me and all I did was go out of the editor to see what I did, and to my big surprise everything disappeared, lol.

I also did the log out and back in as Diana Prince mentioned but it was gone. I had a copy of it saved and was able to load it right back up.

Just wanted to pass along it happens to the best of us just when we aren't looking lol.

One thing I make a habit of is ALWAYS saving my build, even if I don't do anything, just to be sure. It may be kinda anal, but it only takes seconds, and you never have to worry about losing any files.

Another thing that I do is, I save my files to different places, for instance, I have a Network Attached Storage (NAS) and save my files offline to there. There are free cloud storage solutions available as well like GDrive, or OneDrive and such, but I happen to have the NAS for my other files on my pc and backups.

This way you always have a copy of it, cause since its Windows anything can go wrong when you least expect it.

I believe this issue is a game flaw on the client end of things, hopefully it will be better when they migrate to the newer engine.

And beware of another bug in the editor!
When your world files reaches 8 MB (some say it happened to them with only 5 MB), copying or deleting an object will crash 3DXC in about 80% of the cases and you have to reload 3DXC. Of course everything since your last save is gone then...
A workaround is: enter the room you are building (load it "in the game", not in the editor), this seems to free the memory or whatever.
And again: save, save, save 🙂 And if you are really paranoic about it (as I am), save it to a cloud service, as Serenity said. Then you are save for the absolut worst case, that your PC, external harddrive and NAS are lost in a fire or something similiar. 

On 3/8/2023 at 5:22 AM, kennyjdash said:

Thank you. 

How do I load my saved file "offline"? The file I saved everything to is still on my computer. 

🇫🇷 Bonjour,

Comme je te le disait. Il peut arriver des cas où tu es dans le world editor et que d'un seul coup, tu te retrouves déconnecté.
Tu verras ce type d'écran :

[Photo]

La première chose à faire, c'est une sauvegarde.
Tu clic en haut à gauche > Save file
Même en étant "hors ligne" dans le jeu, ta sauvegarde sera prise en compte. Ce qui est plutôt une bonne nouvelle.
Tu peux alors :
- sortir de 3DXChat et te reconnecter,
- rester et continuer à travailler même en étant "hors ligne". L'important après est de sauvegarder ton travail.

Il est à noter que lorsque tu sortiras de 3DXChat, tu sortiras obligatoirement par le world editor. Tu ne pourras pas revenir dans ton monde et te déconnecter, puisque tu seras "Hors ligne".
Quand tu vas te reconnecter, et que tu reviendras dans ton monde, tu ne verras pas tes changements. C'est normal.
Il te faudra aller dans le world editor, puis tu charges ton fichier :
File, > Load file , puis tu sélectionnes ton fichier sur ton ordinateur.

Autre petite chose à savoir :
Tu peux sauvegarder de deux façons.
- Clic sur File > Save File  tu vas sauvegarder une room entière.
- Clic sur file > Save as selected file  tu vas sauvegarder un objet dans la room ou un groupe d'objets dans la room. (bien évidement il faut avoir sélectionné le ou les objets comme une table ou des chaises. tu feras le test pour voir comment ça marche )

Tu peux charger un fichier de façons :
- Clic sur file > Load form file , tu vas charger le fichier d'une room entière, ou le fichier d'un objet, ou d'un groupe d'objets seuls.
- Clic sur file > Merge from file, dans ce cas si, tu es dans une room, et tu peux charger un fichier objet ou groupe d'objets à ajouter à ta room actuelle, ou une autre room (attention aux tailles de tes fichiers)

--------------------------------------------

🇺🇸 Hello,

As I was telling you. It can happen that you are in the world editor and suddenly you find yourself disconnected.
You will see this type of screen:

d%C3%A9connexion_1.jpg

The first thing to do is to save.
You click on the top left > Save file
Even if you are "offline" in the game, your save file will be taken into account. Which is good news.
You can then :
- exit 3DXChat and log back in,
- stay and continue working even if you are "offline". The important thing afterwards is to save your work.

Please note that when you exit 3DXChat, you must exit through the world editor. You will not be able to return to your world and log out, since you will be "offline".
When you log back in and return to your world, you will not see your changes. This is normal.
You will have to go to the world editor, then you load your file:
File, > Load file, then you select your file on your computer.

Another little thing to know:
You can save in two ways.
- Click on File > Save File to save a whole room.
- Click on file > Save as selected file you will save an object in the room or a group of objects in the room (of course you have to have selected the object(s) like a table or chairs. you will do the test to see how it works)

You can load a file in several ways:
- Click on file > Load form file, you will load the file of a whole room, or the file of an object, or a group of objects alone.
- Click on file > Merge from file, in this case if you are in a room, and you can load an object file or a group of objects to add to your current room, or another room (be careful with the size of your files)