3DXChat Community

Creating Islands

SerenityWillow

Just started a new build and I was wondering how people were making their islands and beaches.

I am trying to create a small roundish island that the landscape is pretty high.

The round object has that known bug of creating the original shape phantom so you get the invisible elevator effect.

I tried the half profile objects and they become phantom.

I tried the half egg, and it turned out to be phantom.

I tried the half round sphere, and it was phantom.

The only pieces I could get to work were the chopped off cone and the cone, but the problem with these shapes is you have to make them so big to get the nice sloping beach.

I would like to hear from others their technique in achieving this.

I always start with a thin large square to build upon, no matter what i make. Then i use smaller squares in different colours to mark roughly where i want things and when i am done with the layout, i use the premade mountains, rocks and the white rock shape object to make the edges around. Flatten some, make others higher/wider/smaller and so on. When i am happy with the look of the outer limit, i group them and make a copy of all of them before i flip the copies so i have a bottom that drops into the sea for the edges as well. I then copy one of a reversed ones to make a bottom under the square too ( yes, no one will see it, but i will know ), and then it is just fine adjusting. 

This is an example of it, a winter beach in snow and ice, and where she stands coming up from the water is a thin square coloured to match the build first, then a flatten/scaled mountain on top and bottom of that and so on.  

Hope that helps

Used to do it with just objects like rotated flat long box for instance and hide edges with mountains, but if I had to do it again I would probably look at the thin curved objects you use for the donut shapes and round tops. It seems unlike I feel like was the case in the past floor animations only look good on flat surfaces, so rather than vertical like I did in the past I would probably aim for flat top and make curve going down into the water. Alternatively one can also use mountains but its way more tricky and you wont get many flat areas then.

7 hours ago, TashaTight said:

Alternatively one can also use mountains but its way more tricky and you wont get many flat areas then.

Another one i made with a thin coloured square base, and flatten/scaled mountains and rocks. It is small, but if i wanted to i could stretch the beach for miles, so i am not sure what you mean by not many flat areas.

1152366800_2023-03-0213-52-15_74301.thumb.png.e2581e23dd8397852f0557074f57b1dc.png

1707018910_2023-03-0213-55-08_90028.thumb.png.101c0470b400e25f25ef4e7107773f97.png

38 minutes ago, Whimsy said:

Another one i made with a thin coloured square base, and flatten/scaled mountains and rocks. It is small, but if i wanted to i could stretch the beach for miles, so i am not sure what you mean by not many flat areas.

1152366800_2023-03-0213-52-15_74301.thumb.png.e2581e23dd8397852f0557074f57b1dc.png

1707018910_2023-03-0213-55-08_90028.thumb.png.101c0470b400e25f25ef4e7107773f97.png

This is what I mean when you have rotated diagonal surface you will get the floor poses and some other poses looking sorta weird, I tried to fix it in my neighborhood by adding beach towels with bed poses, but will be a issue if you don't have completely flat areas where users interact with terrain for poses.

Rotatedsurface.jpg

I fixed that by rotating the poses i added to match the slope on the round so the gap is miniscule.

Yes you get a slightly bigger gap if you just lie without using a pose, but i was never too bothered with it though, it is sand, and i have never been on a beach in rl that is perfectly flat. besides, there are many other things that would bother me more if i went all OCD about it, the space between the feet and the ground when you walk or stand, and that most of the poses don`t line up properly either, and have different starting points for example, but i still like the game as the good outweigh the bad. By far.

Thank you @TashaTight @Whimsy for your awesome input!

@WhimsyThe way you do it sounds very interesting, but a lot of work, but may be more detail.

I also like your method as well @TashaTight.

I will try out both and let you know how I made out.

If other members reading this have other methods, I would love to hear from them as well.

Thank you for your replies ladies.

@MeiLingThis is not a fresh build, but one I am modifying. I changed the shape of the land and now I have areas that have all the objects higher than the rest of the objects, so I am filling in and building up where the low spots are. There are some large areas that need to be filled and I am trying to make them blend in with the rest of the land.

But thank you for your input anyway, you have been here a while and I appreciate any advice you offer. :D

I would love to hear from Angixoxo or Torax! :D

But I don't think they come on here a lot lol.

1 hour ago, SerenityWillow said:

I would love to hear from Angixoxo or Torax! :D

Easy... download one of their amazing creations and "reverse engineer" it 😇

Same for AmyLaRouche (one of my favorite builders 🤫)

Edited by CatKatW

Yeah it is a bit tedious, but i am self-taught, and i don`t mind the work, it is something i do when my friends are offline or i get bored with the public rooms and the people in them.

4 minutes ago, CatKatW said:

Easy... download one of their amazing creations and "reverse engineer" it 😇

I learned to build by ripping apart the default home, load it back in and do it all over again. Good way to learn the functions of the buttons, control and so on.