3DXChat Community

Blender to 3DX World editor script - possible?

Naph

Hi guys,

The .world file in 3DX is essentially just a list of all the objects in the world, with type of object, its position, rotation, scale and material of it.

Before I go deep in the rabbit hole, I was interested to know if anyone has looked at or attempted to have a script to take Blender models and transform it into 3DX world models.

Essentially my thinking is this:

1) Create a model in Blender

2) Run a script in Blender to transform the model to small squares or triangles. These squares or triangles will be a preset size - I think depending on the complexity and resolution you want of the object.

3) Run another script in Blender to extract the co-ordinates of all of the squares/triangles.

4) Transform these into the 3DX .world co-ordinates.

Would appreciate any input

Tbh - just speaking about myself - NO.

I am not sure if this makes sence at all. Tools like Blender and the big mama 3dsMax do have the function to deform objects in nearly every way how it is needed. How to make sure 3dx Editor can work with those data?

Why are you asking; dont you like to work with the 3dx Editor?^^

Idea nice but "probably" time waste.
Most files wouldn't be useable at the end anyway or would look so trashy because of the downscaled resolution that nobody wants use it at the end.
Only make sense for really simple models but to be honest this things you also can create quick in world editor arleady.

The reason it is not possible to do is the objects have to be in the editor and already present in the game.

If I were to make say, a couch in blender and was able to create a script as you say, it would not be visible because the object is not in the game.

There was a discussion I read about a way to rename an object's naming convention in the .world file and it was something that is not in the editor now but was removed after updates. This was possible to do because it was already in the game's database of objects on the server, but not available in the current version of the editor.

Also someone would need to write an exporter/importer script for blender itself to support .world files.

I am not a coder but I am sure it probably is not an easy thing to do.

I am an avid Blender user and would love to be able to create in there for the game, but it is what it is, and probably always be. ;)

In theory this would be possible, export a model into json format and you are nearly done, or have a python script that makes a world file out of your model, question would be if that would have any practical use, would only work with low poly and primitives that are in 3dx as well.
Alternative would be you only use faces to translate a blender model into a world file 

But yeah would be quite complicated and time intensive to write a script for that. 

The 3DX Devils keep who is allowed to make changes to their virtual-world specific to very few, and those ppl strive to protect that for selfish reasons. Sadly, to their detriment in the success they should be having...

This is Unity, not rocket science...

Edited by Cassey

On 1/10/2023 at 4:09 PM, Naph said:

Hi guys,

The .world file in 3DX is essentially just a list of all the objects in the world, with type of object, its position, rotation, scale and material of it.

Before I go deep in the rabbit hole, I was interested to know if anyone has looked at or attempted to have a script to take Blender models and transform it into 3DX world models.

Essentially my thinking is this:

1) Create a model in Blender

2) Run a script in Blender to transform the model to small squares or triangles. These squares or triangles will be a preset size - I think depending on the complexity and resolution you want of the object.

3) Run another script in Blender to extract the co-ordinates of all of the squares/triangles.

4) Transform these into the 3DX .world co-ordinates.

Would appreciate any input

Niblette's Naughty Designer can do this with vector graphics (svg files). It works really good, but this is "just" a conversion of paths (2D lines) to cube objects in the world editor. Here is an example that I did with the Naughty Designer.

2022-09-13 12-11-14_326229.png

The file size is really small as the object count is low 
Did use it myself already and it is great for those line art pieces or even fonts

12 minutes ago, SerenityWillow said:

@Diana PrinceThat works great for line type graphics but I think the OP was referring to building props and clothing and that sort of thing.

But I will have to check that it out, looks very promising.

Just curious, how many objects does that turn out to be and what is the file size?