3DXChat Community

File Size, Lag and what the heck makes it so big?

SweetAmber

I was told that larger room file sizes can contribute to lad really bad.  I have a room thats like 3.8 meg and was told that was already BIG. Was told there are probably a lot of duplicate props that never got deleted.  there were a few but not many.

I deleted a bunch of stuff. Really didn't affect it much.

WHAT takes up the biggest chunk of file size and how can I find out except trial and error?  Candle flames?  The room has a LOT of the light bulb props.

Where should I start to cut the file size?

What file size should I aim for?  It should be smaller than ...?????

Thanks

If you already checked on duplicate props, you probably used a tool like Chloe's Remove Duplicate Tool.

Flames and sparks don't contribute much to file size but they contribute to lag.

File size is directly dependent on the quantity of individual objects you use. Some props that we add can represent several thousand objects. You can check how many objects your world has by using the tool I mentioned above.

For a file size of 3.8MB you should have more than 50000 objects in it.

I would advise to check how many objects there are on the props you add. I remember adding a jukebox that increased file size by 0.5MB because it was amazingly detailed.

There is another tool (an excel file named 3dxWorldEditor) that allows you to reduce the number of decimal places stored on each object location, scale and angle. By setting the precision to 3 or 4 decimal places you can considerably reduce the file size without compromizing accuracy.

I have seen worlds with more than 10MB that don't experience excessive lag, so it's a balance between some light effects and the actual quantity of objects.

10 hours ago, SweetAmber said:

I was told that larger room file sizes can contribute to lad really bad.  I have a room thats like 3.8 meg and was told that was already BIG. Was told there are probably a lot of duplicate props that never got deleted.  there were a few but not many.

WHAT takes up the biggest chunk of file size and how can I find out except trial and error?  Candle flames?  The room has a LOT of the light bulb props.

Thanks

it should be ok. You have no reason to delete anything. One thing you can do is round the value with this

My room is around the size of yours and it does not cause problem

Low FPS are mostly caused through special FX and lights, smoke and fog for example cause a lot of stress on the game if you use them a lot 
Lights with reflecting surfaces cause a similar issue, so most metal textures can get you bad performance if you use them a lot

The file size itself most likely causes longer load times but that is it.

You can have maps of the size of 10 MB without much lag

1 hour ago, SweetAmber said:

Where can i get this?  Sounds like thees a bunch of tools to help build in 3dx.

Thank You CatKatW

Here are some tools:

* Remove Duplicates tool by Chloe

https://www.3dxchatsharing.com/product/remove-duplicate-items-tool-by-chloe/

* Excel add-in to perform several tasks over your world file (most recent version 4.32)

* Tool for creating some nice and useful effects

On 11/24/2022 at 6:29 PM, SweetAmber said:

Thanks

The size of your build doesn't always equal lagging rooms.

I have experienced large rooms that don't lag, and also small rooms under 500KB lagging to the extreme.

Sometimes it just boils down to the complexity of what you have built in a localised area.  Too many objects in the same spot can cause the game to Lag.  If you can, try to build complex looking builds with the least number of objects as you can.

• 2 weeks later...

Short version down below if you just wanna have the relevant things.

First of all i wanna say that i am NOT a developer, but i had a lot of chats with game designers and they explained me a lot so maybe not everything is 100% correct but the most should be, because since i use their tips it helps a lot when it comes to Mapdesign in general (not only in 3dx).

A laggy room can have a lot of different reasons so it can be very important to "work clean" from beginning to avoid most of them, otherwise you will loose the overview at the end, which makes it hard to fix the issues at all and also can be veeeeery frusttrating.

As far as i know, it doesn't has to say very much if the file size gets bigger, because the ".world" file stores only loading informations and can have a lot of different sizes with the same amount of objects, so you should see that only as slight "indicator". (because the important part is which and how many objects are in use and which textures they have..(lights,fire(work),transparency,opacity and much more...))

Heavy loading times are the result of many value manipulations (big file size) like: translation (position)/ rotation/ scaling, different textures, colors and groups, because the file size gets bigger, the more values you have, and like in real life, people would need more time to read a big book, the cpu also needs more time to read a bigger file. (Bigger filesize, more informations to read/ calculate, longer loading time.)

The real things which causing FPS drops are, when you have "too many" powerful objects like effects, (f.e snowfall and firework) animations, (f.e some plants which swing in wind) opacity, (f.e glass) and transparency in general (f.e fence).

"I" would say the most important reason which causes FPS drops in 3dx are mostly plants, especially because some are also animated.
People love to have hundreds of trees in their map, but they forget, that those are the most detailed models in the game (beside the avatars) and when they would remove the half of them the room would probably run much better in most of the cases :).
When objects are also very small and close together (like fonts or chains), it also eats more performance and gets more worse when they have opacity (f.e glass).

What also can improve perfomance "a lot" is, that you keep a very long distance between 2 spots, until they dont even render and connect them with teleports. or you build up in the air when you dont need water on your map, to avoid the water animation. (doesnt saves much, just a little, but a lot of little things can have huge impact at the end.)

Collisions also can cause lags, but because the collisions in 3dx aren't really intelligent its not a big deal at all.
When you are really picky we also could talk about polygons but i dont think that that has much weight here. (But it's maybe nice to know that high detailed models like plants or trees need a lot of them which also has influence on performance so game designer have always an eye to keep their work "low poly" as possible.)

When you wanna avoid lags, you should build wisely and don't throw everything in just because it looks nice :)

In short:

Build wisely and only use objects you really need and not tons of them to save a little time just because the auto texture scaling allows a sloppy and lazy buildstyle. (there is a reason that there are a lot of different shapes which you can connect). F.e use a fence texture instead of 100 cylinders for a simple cage. (or beg for more viable textures to the devs hehe)
Avoid effects, opacity/ transparency, animations, trees & grass as long as you don't really need them.
Keep a healty distance between objects. The higher the distance between objects, the less it renders on distance, the more performance you save.
Stay under 10.000 objects in general. (10k can be no problem, depends on what you have placed but nevertheless, i would highly recommend less objects, especially when the room is supposed to be a big party room with 100+ peoples to avoid lags and also syncbugs)

When i would have to do a top 3 priority list about the biggest performance eaters it would look like this:

1. Plants like trees and grass (because they are more detailed and also animated in most cases (and because of the fact, that people LOVE to spam them everywhere 🙂)
2. Effects and animations (Snowfall, fire(work), waterfall, lights...)
3. Opacity (glass)/ transparency (fence). Opacity eats way more than transparency.

Keep in mind that it also have impact, the higher you scale them, so the higher you scale, the more performance gets wasted (especially animations and effects).

You can also test that out when you simply place 100 fireworks on the same location and scale them very big and then you press "start firework" ...Have fun, but i am not responsible for any hardware damage at the end 🙂.

Also interesting to know is, that the more avatars are close together, the more it will lag and at a certain point, it doesn't matters anymore how light you build, because its not your map, that are the avatars which make trouble (100+) because they are very high detailed (but in most cases its the room  itself😇).
So yeah, the sad it sounds, mostly the good things takes the most performance so you should place them clever :)

I hope i kept it easy understandable and could help to answer some of your questions and why the file size gets sometimes bigger while it does not has much influence on FPS.

Happy Saint Nicholas🎅

Edited by Janet

It is a bug. Duplicates objects exspecially when you copy already selected objects. Chloe-Tool is very good help for the past years. How you can see - it is a damn old bug (nooo Chloe is not old - but I guess I am using this tool now about 5 years lol)

Regarding your question with guests beeing close together:

Always try to keep the room size below 3mb file size if you are dealing with 100+ guests. Dynamic effects and the old lights you should not use. In generall the room starts to lag what ever how it is designed when the guest are above 180 Guests - in my mind. It also depends on which system you are working with.. gpu ram bla bla bal

The best what you can do is talk with peeps who are opening rooms daily. They do know how the business works :)

Edited by Ica