3DXChat Community

In-Game Sound Settings Reset Between Game Sessions

KinseyMillhone

Hello, Everyone!

If you have been followi g tbe #bug-report channel on Discord, you probably already know that I have been having this issue, but here we go.

My sound settings in the game do not store after I end my session. The moment I exit the game, any changes I made to my sound settings are lost. I can change characters within a session without issue, but not exit the client.

There are no issues in my output device settings or volume mixer; 3dx Chat's app volume is at the same volume my system is set to.

I can save my on-game sound settings and they continue to work until i exit the client, but they are reverted the next time I open the client. I have attached screenshots with annotations below:

796424fc-96f4-47ef-8ec2-d947df7eb44d.thumb.jpg.20b42d36d3bda068a2bcf81723a89a30.jpg

The above are my currently stored in-game sound settings.

282fee05-62df-4427-a0d4-b6adf11e8cbb.thumb.jpg.0d37714820fb71f26287020f9e91671f.jpg

The above are my desired in-game sound settings (the ones I have to manually input every time I load the game back up).

52afcdb1-bf0c-4019-9f45-fa65ef801c53.thumb.jpg.2587d0fc14d65c2a0b98893b1d6caf1a.jpg

The above are the settings that i am shown again after exiting and re-entering the client by any means, after hitting "apply" for the settings in the middle image.

If anybody can provide their expertise and guidance with resolving this issue, it would be greatly appreciated. This issue has been persisting for years at this point, and it's extremely tedious, if nothing else, to reset my settings whenever I open the client again.

Thank you for reading.

Those settings are saved in your documents folder.
Make sure that your antivirus software and windows isn't blocking access for 3DX, you might want to check this topic as it is the same issue that would make it not save screenshots with the ingame screenshot tool.

Edited by MissD

Alternatively, if you don't want 3DX to access your documents folder you can create a new file located in documents/3DXChat/Settings called game.json with your desired sound settings.

{
  "Graphics": {
    "HQWater": 1,
    "EnableShadows": 1
  },
  "Sound": {
    "Music": 1.0,
    "Master": 1.0,
    "Ambient": 0.0,
    "Footsteps": 1.0,
    "Sex": 1.0,
    "GUI": 1.0
  }
}

I have no issue with in-game screenshots storing to the default folder. I either keep my AV disabled or have an exception set when playing 3dx, including in Windows Defender/Firewall.

I'll have another look through everything, put i'm 99% sure there are no conflicts with any security settings anywhere. Maybe just moving the game.json file will do the trick. I'm guessing the amounts after the setting parameters are in decimal (ie : 1.0 = 100%).

Edited by KinseyMillhone
Spelling

7 hours ago, KinseyMillhone said:

I'm guessing the amounts after the setting parameters are in decimal (ie : 1.0 = 100%).

Correct and just to clarify a little further, my music setting is set to this value by using the slider in-game, so you aren't limited to only one decimal:

"Music": 0.11875,

4 hours ago, KinseyMillhone said:

@MissDI manually edited the game.json file in the settings folder and saved the changes that way. When i booted the game, my new settings loaded up. Thank you.

You are welcome, I am glad you got a solution to your issue, having to redo your sound settings every time sounds painful, to be honest 😅

On 9/25/2022 at 11:27 PM, MissD said:

Correct and just to clarify a little further, my music setting is set to this value by using the slider in-game, so you aren't limited to only one decimal:

"Music": 0.11875,

You are welcome, I am glad you got a solution to your issue, having to redo your sound settings every time sounds painful, to be honest 😅

Yeah i set a couple settings to two decimal places, but more than that is unnecessary. Nobody is going to notice a fraction of a percentage point difference in volume, unless you are like me and never have your music volume over 5% (i think mine read about 1.5% when i opened game.json). And yes, it is painfully annoying to go back and change those settings every time you load the game up. Lol.

Edited by KinseyMillhone