3DXChat Community

Favorite Quotes

Guest Mattttt

Guest Mattttt

If this topic take off I will be posting a lot on it since I have so many fav quotes, here is my first entry:

"Among other things, you'll find that you're not the first person who was ever confused and frightened and even sickened by human behavior. You're by no means alone on that score, you'll be excited and stimulated to know. Many, many men have been just as troubled morally and spiritually as you are right now. Happily, some of them kept records of their troubles. You'll learn from them - if you want to. Just as someday, if you have something to offer, someone will learn something from you. It's a beautiful reciprocal arrangement. And it isn't education. It's history. It's poetry." ~J.D. Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye

My favourite movies are action, so my two favourite quotes are from Die Hard.

policewoman: Sir this line is reserved for emergencies only.

John Mclane: No f***cking shit, lady! Do i sound like i am ordering pizza?!

Or the classic: Yippee ki yay mother f***cker.

Guest Mattttt

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. 1Corinthians 13:4-7

Well, thanks to this thread, I have been scouring quotes from all my favorite authors for two days now, and I just realized that, although there are many many books that I love and many authors whom I admire, John Steinbeck's prose affects me unlike any other. Travels with Charley is hardly his best book, but it does contain some wonderful writing. Anyone who loves dogs and traveling, and who can tolerate yet another American examining his own navel is bound to enjoy this this book. :P   

When I was very young and the urge to be someplace else was on me, I was assured by mature people that maturity would cure this itch. When years described me as mature, the remedy prescribed was middle age. In middle age I was assured greater age would calm my fever and now that I am fifty-eight perhaps senility will do the job. Nothing has worked. Four hoarse blasts of a ship's whistle still raise the hair on my neck and set my feet to tapping. The sound of a jet, an engine warming up, even the clopping of shod hooves on pavement brings on the ancient shudder, the dry mouth and vacant eye, the hot palms and the churn of stomach high up under the rib cage. In other words, once a bum always a bum. I fear this disease incurable. I set this matter down not to instruct others but to inform myself. . . . A journey is a person in itself; no two are alike. And all plans, safeguards, policing, and coercion are fruitless. We find after years of struggle that we do not take a trip; a trip takes us.”
John Steinbeck, Travels with Charley: In Search of America

Hello you

I always find this ideal, the best to follow in life :D

a very lovely thread...I like so much :)

Many Kisses to all Mocking birds.

Mockingbirds don't do but one thing except make music for us to enjoy,

They don't eat up peoples gardens, They don't nest in corn cribs.

They don't do but one thing, but sing there hearts out for us.

That's why.....

"Its a sin to kill a Mockingbird"

-Harper Lee "To kill a mocking bird"

Guest Mattttt

from one of my all time fav movies, if you never saw it I recommend it

"Perhaps it is good to have a beautiful mind, but an even greater gift is to discover a beautiful heart"

Nash-Beautiful Mind

Call me a softy or whatever  :P  :P But one quote stands out for me:

I am nothing special; just a common man with common thoughts, and I've led a common life. There are no monuments dedicated to me and my name will soon be forgotten. But in one respect I have succeeded as gloriously as anyone who's ever lived: I've loved another with all my heart and soul; and to me, this has always been enough.

Here are my favorite quote from a tv serial (Person of Interest):

"You are being watched. The government has a secret system: a machine that spies on you every hour of every day. I know, because I built it. I designed the machine to detect acts of terror, but it sees everything. Violent crimes involving ordinary people; people like you. Crimes the government considered 'irrelevant'. They wouldn't act, so I decided I would. But I needed a partner, someone with the skills to intervene. Hunted by the authorities, we work in secret. You'll never find us, but victim or perpetrator, if your number's up... we'll find you".

Season one opening voice-over by Mr. Finch

Guest JeanetteVoerman

I'm tired boss, tired of having to run the roads and be alone like a sparrow in the rain ... Tired of never having a friend to talk, to tell me where we're going, where we come from and why ... But mostly I'm tired of seeing men fight each other, I'm tired of all the pain and suffering that I sense in the world ...

John Coffee from The Green Line.

I'm not a religious person, well not in a "organized religion" way that is. But, as a shameless bookworm, I've enjoyed a lot eastern philosophy :P

I remember reading this fantastic line about friendship and sharing attributed to one of Buddha's teaching. Anyway, I found a good translation and, despite being present in what one could call a religious text, it's a beautiful thought :P

"Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared."