3DXChat Community

3DXChat keeps shutting off my computer.

Barak

Hello, To whomever is reading this I really need some help with this stuff. To start off I'm just going to put my PC Specs and then continue.

Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X-2070 SUPER
Motherboard: B450M Motherboard
Graphics: GeForce RTX 2070 Super 8GB
Memory: 16GB DDR4 3000 (2 x 8GB)
SSD: 1TB SSD
Power Supply: 650 Watt Gold Power Supply
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64-bit

So with that out the way, to put it in a summary my Computer can run almost about anything at high or max graphics quality and I have no problems with connecting to rooms or otherwise. All of my drivers are updated and I can run current gen games for hours consecutively without ever crashing or encountering a bug technical wise. Yet whenever I try and play 3DXChat for more then an hour or two, it shuts down my computer instantly given the time. I have checked if it was 3DXChat just taking an absurd amount of power but that didn't seem to be the case. I checked if it was the temperatures and I'm not sure if it's because of that either. I asked for support from Eva in which I was given a batch file that cleared the registry, although this seemed to work before, now it doesn't and I'm at a loss on what to do now. If anyone can help me this would be greatly appreciated. 

sounds a bit like heat problems. Do you get a blue screen? Did you check the Windows event viewer? Are there logs about 3DXC crashing?

Here you can find a helpful program that can analyse the Windows crash logs after a bluescreen:
Resplendence Software - WhoCrashed, automatic crash dump analyzer

It tells you which dll or driver caused the bluescreen. In my case it was the intelppm.sys that caused bluescreens. Had to make some adjustments in the registry to get rid of it.

Edited by Diana Prince

8 minutes ago, Diana Prince said:

sounds a bit like heat problems. Do you get a blue screen? Did you check the Windows event viewer? Are there logs about 3DXC crashing?

Here you can find a helpful program that can analyse the Windows crash logs after a bluescreen:
Resplendence Software - WhoCrashed, automatic crash dump analyzer

It tells you which dll or driver caused the bluescreen. In my case it was the intelppm.sys that caused bluescreens. Had to make some adjustments in the registry to get rid of it.

No I don't get a blue screen at all. It just straight up shuts down my PC. I don't know what Windows Event Viewer is and I don't know how to check 3DXC crashing logs.

Should I still try that program you linked or do you have another solution?

Edited by Barak
Small typo

Just now, Diana Prince said:

Yes, download this program, and after a crash start it and load the crash dump. You'll get an report then what caused it.
But if you don't even get a bluescreen, I would suspect heat problems so that the CPU shuts down to protect itself.  

Ok, I'll try and do that now.

5 minutes ago, Barak said:

I replicated the crash and got no crash report. Meaning it's a temperature issue like you said. What should I do from here?

Additionally. I installed the WhySoSlow program and tried to run an analyze but it said my CPU doesn't have a temperature sensor. So now I'm just lost on what to do again.

@Diana PrinceSo I learned that while 3DXChat is open, it almost doubles my CPU speed which might be because my CPU could be overclocked, resulting in it overheating. Is there anyway you know that can sort of Limit 3DXChat from demanding so much of my CPU?

26 minutes ago, Diana Prince said:

you could try to set the graphic settings in 3DXC as low as possible and see if that makes a difference

I tried that pretty early on when the problems first started occurring. Never worked.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/26/2022 at 3:51 PM, Diana Prince said:

you could try to set the graphic settings in 3DXC as low as possible and see if that makes a difference

I got my PC Cleaned and a new thermal paste applied to the CPU. Tried to run 3DXChat again but it still shut off. I was looking at the temperatures and they weren't as high as I thought staying around 40 - 56. Is their anything else you suggest to do? I even went into task manager > details and set 3DXChat to low priority so it doesn't take as much from my CPU but looking at the task manage it takes a huge chunk of my memory. Any suggestions?

17 hours ago, Diana Prince said:

Did the memory test, no problems came up. Found this out while monitoring it closely that my temps are reaching towards 65 and above so it is a temperature issue but it's only focused on my CPU and not my GPU. 3DXChat is too demanding on my computer when it comes to my CPU. Any idea how to limit it? My GPU is fine even on the highest setting but just having the game open, it absolutely eats through my CPU and overheats it.

Hi,

I don't think the CPU is too hot. Here is an article from
How to Check CPU Temperature on a Windows PC | Avast

What is a good CPU temp for gaming?

A good CPU temp while gaming is between 65-85°C. While average temperatures above 85°C are fine for a few minutes of gameplay or other intense CPU use, it isn’t a good idea for an extended period of time — even if your system is optimized for gaming.

2 hours ago, Diana Prince said:

Hi,

I don't think the CPU is too hot. Here is an article from
How to Check CPU Temperature on a Windows PC | Avast

What is a good CPU temp for gaming?

A good CPU temp while gaming is between 65-85°C. While average temperatures above 85°C are fine for a few minutes of gameplay or other intense CPU use, it isn’t a good idea for an extended period of time — even if your system is optimized for gaming.

I think I found a way to limit 3DXChat taking so much of my CPU. I'll test it sometime today and see if it can stay on for more then an hour.

🇫🇷 Salut,
Moi, j'ai un ancien PC. Il est tellement vieux, que je l'ai appelé "Dino" :) Je suis presque certain, que le tiens n'est pas aussi vieux, et qu'il lui est arrivé moins d'aventures que le mien. (Acer Aspir de 2011 - Windows 7) Je te passe les caractéristiques, rien que ça, ça calme  😂
Bon, pour commencer, c'est un ordinateur portable que tu as ou un ordinateur de bureau ?
Une tour, sera déjà de base plus robuste, et souffrira un peu moins de la chaleur, qu'un ordinateur de bureau.
Mon Dino, c'est un laptop. Donc j'ai la totale pour le refroidir, je n'ai pas le choix, sinon 3DXChat le fait planter direct, surtout avec les fortes chaleurs qu'il y a en ce moment dans mon pays (France).
J'ai une planche rafraichissante Klim, sous le PC, un extracteur d'air Klim Cool+, plus un ventilateur colonne juste à coté du PC. Et même parfois, ce n'est pas suffisant.
Il est vrai qu'on dirait que 3DXChat est devenu plus gourmand.
En tout cas, vérifie tes sorties d'air. C'est le truc le plus basic à faire, quand ton PC s'éteint d'un seul coup. Passe un coup d'aspirateur, nettoie les sorties d'air, afin qu'il puisse bien ventiler. Passe de la bombe d'air sec. Fais attention qu'il n'y ait rien qui obstrue les trous d'aération.

🇺🇸 Hi,
I have an old PC. It is so old, that I named it "Dino" :) I'm pretty sure, that yours is not as old, and that it had less adventures than mine. (Acer Aspir from 2011 - Windows 7) I'll pass you the characteristics, just that, it's quiet 😂
Well, for starters, is it a laptop you have or a desktop computer?
A tower will already be more robust, and will suffer a little less from heat, than a desktop computer.
My Dino, it's a laptop. So I have to cool it down, I have no choice, otherwise 3DXChat will make it crash directly, especially with the hot weather we have in my country (France).
I have a Klim cooling board, under the PC, a Klim Cool+ air extractor, plus a column fan right next to the PC. And even sometimes, it's not enough.
It's true that it seems that 3DXChat has become more greedy.
Anyway, check your air outlets. This is the most basic thing to do, when your PC shuts down suddenly. Vacuum and clean the air outlets, so that it can ventilate well. Spray dry air. Make sure there is nothing blocking the air holes.

I had something similar 4 years ago. It was a problem with the stability of the GPU (it was overclocked) . 

You can try a tool to test the hypothesis:

https://appuals.com/how-to-test-the-stability-of-your-gpu-overclock/

It can also be a problem with your motherboard, there are some available tools. You could check with MSI and AMD

Managed to fix the problem. After cleaning my PC I found a way to limit my CPU. I reduced my CPU speed by 50% and that seemed to fix my issue with 3DXChat. For anyone curious as to how I did that you can search it up and it should pop up with some instructions. If not then here.
image.png.b3978765360382652e592e32f1303e21.png

I always have it at 95% and proper thermal paste on to avoid overheat, so when i set it to 100 and launched 3DXChat with my usual settings just to see what would happen i got a nasty surprise. According to NitroSense  my cpu was 92 degrees and my gpu hit 67 before i turned it off. Even FFXIV online with all the bells and whistles at max in Frontline does not even come close to that temp.

Edited by Whimsy
wrong temp on gpu