3DXChat Community

transform window also when object groups are moved or scaled

Paulinus

it would be very helpful if the transform window would also open and work with a grouped multiobject selected. All values based on the values of the object which is clicked on to select the group.

Rotating (for instance a fence with many poles) is very difficult to find the correct angle (eg. 90 degrees) 

3 hours ago, Paulinus said:

Rotating (for instance a fence with many poles) is very difficult to find the correct angle (eg. 90 degrees) 

Select "Center" instead of "Pivot"

Activate the Snap Angle (2nd magnet on the right side)

Select the grouped object and rotate it. It will "jump" on 15 degree steps, just count 6 to make 90 deg.

You can adjust step angle (Snap Angle) on the Settings (default 15 deg)

well, sure you have to select "center", but thats not the point, and rotating a GROUP does NOT snap in a selected angle ... and even if this would work: if the original angle is lets say 27,3375 degrees in  the z axis, how would you set your snap? The world is not just having smooth and clean angles.

59 minutes ago, CatKatW said:

Select "Center" instead of "Pivot"

Activate the Snap Angle (2nd magnet on the right side)

Select the grouped object and rotate it. It will "jump" on 15 degree steps, just count 6 to make 90 deg.

You can adjust step angle (Snap Angle) on the Settings (default 15 deg)

You can change with the value you want.

Sure you can rotate and resize a group - these are basics and I am quite aware how to do this , but:

please everybody READ THE TOPIC before answering:

1) SNAP ANGLE is NOT working when rotating a GROUP ... go and try, if you don't believe.
2) there is a infinitiv amount of possible angles. You cannot even rotate a single object from start angle 27.37569 deg.  exactly by 90 deg. to 117.37569 deg. with the SNAP-function ... go and try it.
3) try to strech any group object exactly by the factor 2.7839

All these functions would be possible over the transform window by entering the exact values.

8 hours ago, Paulinus said:

1) SNAP ANGLE is NOT working when rotating a GROUP ... go and try, if you don't believe.

Rotating a group via snap angle is definitely possible, I use it all the time.

image.png.b4f7fa3c36b94804553654fbdb1eae27.png

Here I rotated the group 90°:

image.png.70ac34c4679232e9bde0e2d0ac928655.png

Edited by Diana Prince

9 hours ago, Paulinus said:

2) there is a infinitiv amount of possible angles. You cannot even rotate a single object from start angle 27.37569 deg.  exactly by 90 deg. to 117.37569 deg. with the SNAP-function ... go and try it.
3) try to strech any group object exactly by the factor 2.7839

All these functions would be possible over the transform window by entering the exact values.

Unfortunately I can't put up more pics in here. Somehow I can only upload 1,4 MB to this thread. Do you have Discord, @Paulinus?
I can show you there that 2) is possible. I turned a block to 27.37569 degree, and then turned it 90 degree, and it worked.

About 3): there is no "factor" (means "multiplied by") in the editor. You can just enter the absolute value.
Or do you mean "stretch it with the snap step of 2.7839 meters". This is possible with a group. Of course overy object of the group has to face the same direction, otherwise the objects would be enlarged in different directions.
I can show you pictures of this in Discord or maybe here in a pm.

Edited by Diana Prince

well, I have repeatingly tried snap angle for goups and its definitely NOT working for me. And I tried it with many different values.

and for the the stretch factor: you can look at the size of one base object of the group in the transform window and if you know how big this base object should be after transformation its would be easy to enter that values in the transform window ... the system would calculate that "factor" then and use it an any object and any dimension value (x,y,z) of the group.

after all this is just a proposal to make it more easy working with "non smooth" values.

EDIT:
OK, YOU ARE RIGHT ! I DID NOT REALIZE UP TO NOW THAT I HAVE TO HOLD THE <ctrl> KEY WHEN USING SNAP.
SHAME ON ME  🥺
Thanks anyway to open my eyes.

Edited by Paulinus
tried again

@PaulinusThe enlargement of a whole group by a "factor" won't work. We only can use "snap steps", that means a fixed length.
For example: your group consists of 2 blocks, 1x1x1 and 2x2x2 in size.
With a factor of 2.7839, after transformation they would need to be 2.7839 x 2.7839 x 2.7839 and 5.5678 x 5.5678.

Unfortunately, this is not the way the editor works. It doesn't multipy, but adds the snap step value. 
So after transformation, the size of the two blocks is 3.7839 x 3.7839 x 3.7839 and 7.5678 x 7.5678 x 7.5678