3DXChat Community

3dx disconnects totally when copying objects or groups of objects in room editor

Paulinus

Especially with new created objects or after changing the material texture.
This appeared already some time ago but happens now frequently.
For a short time a solution was to exit to the character editor after loading the room file and reenter  the room editor. The system seems to write a cache file related to the avatar in this case.
But since some time this workaround does not work any longer.
Any suggestions?
(PS: I admit the room files are rather big in size :) )

2022-07-25 at 15-15-11.png

beete.world

Edited by Paulinus
added pictures and the extracted objects

I experimented around a bit and made my own thoughts about it.
It seems that each avatar has a cache memory associated with it, where information about the last operations (to undo) and from copying is stored. However, this cache memory seems to do a poor "garbage-cleaning", so that it overflows with large amounts of data.
As soon as a new room is loaded and the avatar is regularly brought back into the character editor, this cache memory is saved ... and is available again at the next entry. But apparently also with all the data garbage that has already accumulated. 
If the room is left out of turn, no saving takes place and the working state is like at the beginning of the last entry.
Only when a new room is loaded and this new cache is saved, the data garbage from before is deleted.
This therefore occurs especially with rooms with larger memory requirements after longer working time.

Just my two cents to it, maybe I am wrong, but I really would like to know whats going wrong.

Edited by Paulinus

I lost hours with that. Mostly happens when world file growing over 8000 kb, or doubling a big amount of objects. I found out, after loading the file, go in play mode to upload it, then back to editor. It is more stable then, but save as often as you can. It will crash again, but not that often.

well, that sounds good if they fix it, but according to my experiences its DEFINITLY depending on the size of the room.
This failure NEVER came up to me with "normal" word files smaller than 8 MB.
And for sure its a matter of cache and missing or bad "garbage collection".

Edited by Paulinus

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Copying a large object (File size) in your room will do this. I have a vase and flowers that I made that is ridiculously to big but its what I wanted so I did. However, if I try to copy this group the game crashes every time. The total world file is only 1.6mb and here's a picture of the object (Vase) for reference.434281358_2022-09-2214-27-09_75236.thumb.png.f0298be0c833fcbe1ed60b684c55bbb5.png

Edited by BellaGirl

• 3 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

Hey @BellaGirl could you share some big objects (world file) that cause a crash please?

Hi @Gizmo, my current room is over 12 MB now, and it started when it was 8 MB. This happens often when copying even a simple cube object.
It helps when I enter my own room, so that it is uploaded to the server. Then it doesn't happen so often.
Can I send you my World file? (Sorry, don't want to post my room here for public)

4 hours ago, Gizmo said:

Hey @BellaGirl could you share some big objects (world file) that cause a crash please?

So, I haven't tried copying the object in years but after seeing your request thought I'd better recheck. New results are that I can copy the object and the screen will freeze for decent amount of time (maybe 30 seconds to a minute) but no crash now. There are some new factors here, like I'm using a newish computer (not a laptop) and we've had a few updates since last I tried. Just like Diana I'm willing to share my World file with you just not in a public forum. However, I've shared the flower (no vase) on another site, here's the link. https://3dxmodz.com/index.php?/files/file/2834-rose/

its definitely roomsize related... started with room size around 8MB occasionally and happens EVERYTIME now with 12MB when attempting to copy just a single object like a simple cube or trying to UNDO any action.
And probably its not depending on roomsize itself but on the number of total objects.
For me it seems it is lack of scratch memory to intermediate store the selected object for copy or later restore.
Interesting is, that rescaling or deleting existing objects is working ok.
Only way to help myself in the meantime is to divide the main room into parts smaller than 8MB ... editing these roomparts (where everything is working properly, and merge the new or changed objects to the main room again.

Edited by Paulinus

2 hours ago, Paulinus said:

its definitely roomsize related... started with room size around 8MB occasionally and happens EVERYTIME now with 12MB when attempting to copy just a single object like a simple cube or trying to UNDO any action.
And probably its not depending on roomsize itself but on the number of total objects.
For me it seems it is lack of scratch memory to intermediate store the selected object for copy or later restore.
Interesting is, that rescaling or deleting existing objects is working ok.
Only way to help myself in the meantime is to divide the main room into parts smaller than 8MB ... editing these roomparts (where everything is working properly, and merge the new or changed objects to the main room again.

My room is not so big.... and I have it... there is somethingelse

Reminder there is some limits to the size of rooms.

ooooooo.JPG