3DXChat Community

Oculus VR - Map game controls to touch controllers

Open

This will map your oculus touch controllers to the game and allow you to move freely without a mouse and keyboard.

First, you will want to install AutoHotKey. This will be the program that runs the script necessary to remap your buttons.

https://www.autohotkey.com/

Next, you need this library to enable the script to work with your oculus touch controllers.

https://github.com/rajetic/auto_oculus_touch/files/5792865/auto_oculus_touch_v0.1.7.zip

Unzip this file anywhere that is easy to get to, preferably in its own folder. This will be important in the next step.

Next, take the file I have attached to the post and put it in that folder.

The setup is finished. Double click the ahk script that you downloaded from the post (attached) before you start 3dx in VR and your touch controls will work (mostly). I am still tweaking the script, but it works for now. It ONLY works for headsets connected to the desktop using Oculus Link or Airlink, it will not work if using the Quest 2 and Virtual Desktop. Virtual desktop does not pass the correct touch commands to the computer and use the script.

One issue in VR I have noticed is that when you are in third person and move the camera, the screen goes black, but when you lift your thumb off of the stick it comes back. This happens with the mouse also in VR, so it may just be a bug.

Let me know what you think, or please post with any improvements to the script!

• Move the camera using the right thumb stick.
  • Use the A button as a left mouse button
  • Use Right touch stick as right mouse
  • Use the left thumbstick as zoom
  • Remap Left Thumbclick to spacebar
  • Use Y as Character View
  • Use X as Eye View
  • Use Left Menu button as free cam
  • Use Left Index Trigger as E
  • Use Left Hand Trigger as Q
  • Use Right Index Trigger E

oculus_touch_mouse_3dx.ahk

Edited by Open
Added button functions

• 10 months later...
On 6/13/2022 at 6:07 PM, Open said:

This will map your oculus touch controllers to the game and allow you to move freely without a mouse and keyboard.

First, you will want to install AutoHotKey. This will be the program that runs the script necessary to remap your buttons.

https://www.autohotkey.com/

Next, you need this library to enable the script to work with your oculus touch controllers.

https://github.com/rajetic/auto_oculus_touch/files/5792865/auto_oculus_touch_v0.1.7.zip

Unzip this file anywhere that is easy to get to, preferably in its own folder. This will be important in the next step.

Next, take the file I have attached to the post and put it in that folder.

The setup is finished. Double click the ahk script that you downloaded from the post (attached) before you start 3dx in VR and your touch controls will work (mostly). I am still tweaking the script, but it works for now. It ONLY works for headsets connected to the desktop using Oculus Link or Airlink, it will not work if using the Quest 2 and Virtual Desktop. Virtual desktop does not pass the correct touch commands to the computer and use the script.

One issue in VR I have noticed is that when you are in third person and move the camera, the screen goes black, but when you lift your thumb off of the stick it comes back. This happens with the mouse also in VR, so it may just be a bug.

Let me know what you think, or please post with any improvements to the script!

• Move the camera using the right thumb stick.
  • Use the A button as a left mouse button
  • Use Right touch stick as right mouse
  • Use the left thumbstick as zoom
  • Remap Left Thumbclick to spacebar
  • Use Y as Character View
  • Use X as Eye View
  • Use Left Menu button as free cam
  • Use Left Index Trigger as E
  • Use Left Hand Trigger as Q
  • Use Right Index Trigger E

oculus_touch_mouse_3dx.ahk 2.22 kB · 23 downloads

This does not work for Oculus Quest 2.

• 1 month later...
On 5/13/2023 at 9:53 AM, SerenityWillow said:

This does not work for Oculus Quest 2.

Do you know of anything that does work with the quest controllers? I can start the game in VR with my quest and it runs fine. But i cant put in any input after that. Sorry to bother!

PS. thanks for all the work you have already done, you are like the leading authority on VR (especially for the quest) in this game.

17 hours ago, Jackie35 said:

Do you know of anything that does work with the quest controllers? I can start the game in VR with my quest and it runs fine. But i cant put in any input after that. Sorry to bother!

PS. thanks for all the work you have already done, you are like the leading authority on VR (especially for the quest) in this game.

VR in 3DXChat will only work with the keyboard and mouse.

The only thing that sucks is typing, unless you can type without looking.

There is a work around for the typing if you are like me and have to look, there is a plugin in for google chrome and only for google chrome, that is a speech to text plugin.

What is special about this plugin is, it copies to your clipboard as you speak, then you can just hit L ctrl+v to paste in the chat window without having to switch back and forth.

As far as a speech to text program goes it works fairly well. It does have its hiccups as all software of this type often do.

It is not a perfect solution, but it is the only thing I have found yet.

12 hours ago, SerenityWillow said:

VR in 3DXChat will only work with the keyboard and mouse.

The only thing that sucks is typing, unless you can type without looking.

There is a work around for the typing if you are like me and have to look, there is a plugin in for google chrome and only for google chrome, that is a speech to text plugin.

What is special about this plugin is, it copies to your clipboard as you speak, then you can just hit L ctrl+v to paste in the chat window without having to switch back and forth.

As far as a speech to text program goes it works fairly well. It does have its hiccups as all software of this type often do.

It is not a perfect solution, but it is the only thing I have found yet.

Thank you so much!!