3DXChat Community

Merge question

atalameck

Thanks for all the kind replies and help. I am not a builder at all, I just want to put that shower into my room, thats it. Is there like a Step by step guide for idiots somewhere how to do it? I tried with your advices and i just couldnt do it, drove me crazy lol

It's probably showing up in a weird place in your world and you can't spot it.

After saving your original room, load only the object you want to merge. It may help if you group it together.

Move it high in the sky and place a big object near it, just like MistressBeryl suggested. Save the objects to a new file.

Reload your original room and merge the new file you just created. Your object should be easier to spot somewhere in the sky. You can delete the helping object you added and then move the shower to the location you want within your room.

There are a few very simple youtube videos from Nym. This is part 3, talking about merging files

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C00T3n5sg5w

I hope it helps

Here is how I do it:

1. load the file that you want to merge later (in your case, the shower)
2. put a laaaaarge box (20 x 20 x 20m) with glowing material right next to it or above it.
3. save the file
4. load your "main room"
5. merge the file with the shower
6. you should now see the large glowing box somewhere (use F5 to fly around if you don't see it right away)
7. select the shower objects and move them to the right spot (and delete the large glowing box)

I hope this helps 🙂

You have to understand how this system works, then it's very easy.

When you build, your objects are at a specific point in the x, y, z coordinate system. Let's say 10, 10, 0.
If you merge another object, this object is still at the point where it was built. And this could be at 1000, -1000, 200. This is why you can't see it right away and have to search for it.
We use this big glowing block as a beacon, so that it is easy to spot after merging.

There are other ways to find merged objects, but this is the easiest one.

• 2 weeks later...

Asking as someone who hasn't downloaded an object before: Does anybody add the large marker shape and place it next to the object in the sky before saving the file and uploading it? I certainly intend to use this tip from now on when saving object for my own reuse. At the moment I believe a vase of flowers is hiding somewhere in my world, and I have no idea where it is.

Most builders leave their shared objects up in the sky to be easier to spot but usually dont add the marker. Anyway you can easily add it yourself.

Before merging load only the object you want to merge (making sure your original world is saved). Being the only object it should be easy to spot in an empty world.

Add the large marker near the object (and move it to a more convenient place, if required) and save it again.

Then load again the original file and merge the new object. After you locate it with the help of the marker, delete the marker.

If, for some reason, you can't find the object in the file that you want to merge, here is a way that works in any case. But it's a bit more complicated.

-Merge the file into your main room.
-Open the file that you merged with a good text editor.  There will be passages with something like this:
"objects":[{"n":"SemiArch2","p":[0.00145345926,0.3586254,0.0127375126]
"p" is the position of one object with the x, y, z coordinates.
-You are still in your main room. Now create a box object somewhere. Make it REALLY big and glowing. Select it.
-copy the x, y, and z coordinates from the file to the box object, so that it will be moved to the position of one of the merged objects.
In this case, x = 0.00145345926, y = 0.3586254, z  = 0.0127375126
1466889534_Screenshot2022-04-13100139.png.03bc30a4f872776579f446e1eaabd47e.png
- The glowing box is now in the position of the merged objects. So look for them inside the large glowing box.

So what you did was just creating a "marker" in your main room and moving it manually to the position of the merged objects.
The position can be copied from the file that you want to merge.

I hope that makes sense 😉

6 hours ago, Diana Prince said:

If, for some reason, you can't find the object in the file that you want to merge, here is a way that works in any case. But it's a bit more complicated.

-Merge the file into your main room.
-Open the file that you merged with a good text editor.  There will be passages with something like this:
"objects":[{"n":"SemiArch2","p":[0.00145345926,0.3586254,0.0127375126]
"p" is the position of one object with the x, y, z coordinates.
-You are still in your main room. Now create a box object somewhere. Make it REALLY big and glowing. Select it.
-copy the x, y, and z coordinates from the file to the box object, so that it will be moved to the position of one of the merged objects.
In this case, x = 0.00145345926, y = 0.3586254, z  = 0.0127375126
1466889534_Screenshot2022-04-13100139.png.03bc30a4f872776579f446e1eaabd47e.png
- The glowing box is now in the position of the merged objects. So look for them inside the large glowing box.

So what you did was just creating a "marker" in your main room and moving it manually to the position of the merged objects.
The position can be copied from the file that you want to merge.

I hope that makes sense 😉

Exactly, that works. And if you press "F" after editing the last coordinate, your cam jumps exactly there ;)

@atalameckHere is a big tip for you that I noticed has not been mentioned in the replies that may help you understand the situation a little better.

When an Object or project is saved in the world builder, it is saved to the coordinates in the world, and when it is merged or loaded it will load wherever it was saved at.

So, it DOES NOT go to a default location every time. This is why you are unable to see some things you load from a download because it depends where it was originally saved.

Best practice as stated previously is save your world then completely delete all props then load the file and place it where you want it to load and save it and make sure you replace the original so it doesn't get confusing, then either once you have it in place merge your original world file, or load your world and then merge your relocated world file.

Either way achieves the same thing :D 

Unfortunately there is not a default save rule for the builders as there are soooo many talented builders out there it would be difficult to achieve such a scenario.

Happy Building :D 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys
I have a question about moving and rotating a merged piece of furniture, I'm sorry if someone already answered this, but I really couldn't find it.
Well come on, I downloaded a kitchen set and when I went to rotate the cabinet it separated, it continued mixed but in separate parts, I had to fix it later piece by piece because I couldn't find another way, sorry for my English, but I had to use it google translator, hope someone can help me, thank you very much. 😘

2 hours ago, RubyF said:

Hi guys
I have a question about moving and rotating a merged piece of furniture, I'm sorry if someone already answered this, but I really couldn't find it.
Well come on, I downloaded a kitchen set and when I went to rotate the cabinet it separated, it continued mixed but in separate parts, I had to fix it later piece by piece because I couldn't find another way, sorry for my English, but I had to use it google translator, hope someone can help me, thank you very much. 😘

Instead of pivot. use center