3DXChat Community

How to lower CPU Usage?

The92Ghost

Can a dev or somene who is a bit more techy tell me how I can lower the high CPU usage. It is a huge problem, especially when it slows everything else on my laptop. Why the CPU usage is so high is another question I would like the devs to answer. With everything that is going in the game, my CPU usage shouldn't be more than 40-50% at top with 6 core processor and with 2.20GHz per core this game shouldn't really take that much CPU. Can the devs look into this and actually do something for it. Even in a room where it is just me and a friend my CPU hits the 80-90%. That not normal.

Edited by The92Ghost

maybe you have some sort of crypto jack malware. I used to experiment with those. They usually hog up a few cores instead of all of them, but depending on the game you have performance hit. Those are usually programmed to hide themselves, by suspending the process, when you open your task manager so you can't spot them. Open your task manager and keep it open, while the game is running and see if your CPU usage improves. If it does, you might wanna scan properly with an offline scanner in safe mode.

Limiting the FPS doesn't do anything to CPU usage, that is GPU related. And sure you may limit that to avoid extra hard work and heat from the GPU. But it doesn't do anything for CPU usage

And yes you are right, this game isn't normally CPU heavy, I can side load other games also while 3dxchat is running with little performance impact.

Edited by Tsela

24 minutes ago, Diana Prince said:

Ghost mentions a laptop. Maybe it has no deficated GPU and therefore the CPU load is high.

Generally speaking, the graphics engine is not really optimised. Even with my i9 and 3090 GPU I get 100% GPU load sometimes...

that might be also the case. We don't really know what he uses... Maybe i7-8750H ? Not sure.

But when it comes to dedicated GPU 100% is a good thing, especially if you don't limit your framerates, the GPU optimally should work at 100% pushing out as many FPS as it possibly can. It's pretty much it's job unless it's locked to a certain FPS, Vsync is limiting it often, it's bottlenecked by your CPU, thermal throttling, or the game simply doesn't work the GPU at it's full potential. So 100% GPU load is normal, and preferable in the right conditions, when you simply want to push out as many frames as the GPU can push.

well my setup I use for 3dxchat is way older and still does the job. I'm still using my FX 8350 and a GTX970 at home. GPU load maxes out of course in any game as long as it's not limited by anything, the CPU load however in 3dxchat is normally around 30-35% or less. It fluctuates when you load a room, until everyone is loaded, then drops back again.

1 hour ago, Diana Prince said:

Ghost mentions a laptop. Maybe it has no deficated GPU and therefore the CPU load is high.

Generally speaking, the graphics engine is not really optimised. Even with my i9 and 3090 GPU I get 100% GPU load sometimes...

Nope, I do have a dedicated GPU, it is 1050 Ti card and the game is definitely running on it but since I lowered down the FPS my CPU Usage sticks to the 20-40% which is to be expected so I think that FPS plays a huge role with the CPU usage. And my CPU is indeed i7-8750H.

2 hours ago, Diana Prince said:

And by the way, offtopic. Who did you kill for that 3090? :))

Just now, Diana Prince said:

I could tell you but then I would need to kill ya 😜

No, it was a "complete" PC. You find 3090s in them more often than a 3090 alone. Needed the PC for Flight Simulator.

oh lucky you :) yeah I heard there were some smart deals there with complete system only. Well the power supply and the rest sucked on most of them but people bought those for the GPU. Companies got rid of power supplies nobody bought separately, and other things like that :)) Well I didn't catch any deal like that. And these cost an arm and a leg. Well maybe only a leg. my arm is super expensive. I use it ever day... (hmmm that might sound a bit awkward)

1 hour ago, Tsela said:

oh lucky you :) yeah I heard there were some smart deals there with complete system only. Well the power supply and the rest sucked on most of them but people bought those for the GPU. Companies got rid of power supplies nobody bought separately, and other things like that :)) Well I didn't catch any deal like that. And these cost an arm and a leg. Well maybe only a leg. my arm is super expensive. I use it ever day... (hmmm that might sound a bit awkward)

using your arm for lifting a beer of course 😉