3DXChat Community

How to run a room 24/7

Fyrefly

Hi all,

I'm wondering if there is a single source of good info on how to operate a room/space 24/7. What is involved as far as extra user accounts, having an extra system work as a small server, simple streaming, and any other issues. If there is not a single resource, but a bunch of other links or places to find this info, can we try to consolidate it all here? (Yes, I'm lazy and haven't looked in detail yet, which is why I want to make a one-stop spot for the info.)

Thanks!

Lazlo

Sounds like you pretty well worked it out already.

I'm doing it via an old notebook and second account. Its not powerful enough to do much and lags badly, but as a server it works fine. Run it at lowest graphics, turn almost every option off. I leave my char in the room as an NPC with info so after sharing the world I go into cam mode and fly away then minimise 3DX and turn off the screen. Total power draw with 60+ in the room is 19W.  if you're not running the NPC just share the room then leave your account in the Character Editor. 

https://3dxforum.com/index.php?/forum/30-tutorials/ Has guides for the music streaming.

Thanks Jen...I was mainly wondering if there were issues with running a second machine as far as network traffic or power draw. I have a second machine that I can use but didn't know if there would be other issues running it long term. The space is not going to be designed for huge crowds but the intention is to keep it running 24/7. I know people like Hinch run Havasu around the clock but this wouldn't be that complex, at least to start.

If anyone else wants to chime in with good suggestions, they are appreciated!

Laz

I have tried running a room 24/7 I have a really good pc to run as the server and even made a room host account to park there.

it worked great.......... until they restart the game or there is some sort of internet issue. You have to be there all the time just to restart your room back up. So I found in the end it is kinda a waste of time and money to do this. Now if there was a way to auto-start your room and republish it to others, it really is not worth the hassle.

Granted the server restarts are not common place as before, but for the reasons I said previously, it still is not worth the time or work to do it.