3DXChat Community

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, MistressBeryl said:

Maybe ISP troubles, but they never would never admit it. But as other online games like GTA run without any issue, i think it is a problem of timeout settings serverside....

That's also what I suspect, or on the client side, but of course either is then more likely to trigger if there is any lag or delay in the user's connection, which could explain why some people suffer and others don't.

48 minutes ago, Leopardus said:

That's also what I suspect, or on the client side, but of course either is then more likely to trigger if there is any lag or delay in the user's connection, which could explain why some people suffer and others don't.

Cannot say it, as it is the only game having disconnect, another one quits the music stream, GTA runs without any issues for hours...

I have ftth 500/200 with a LANCOM 1900EFΒ Firewall

3 hours ago, MistressBeryl said:

Cannot say it, as it is the only game having disconnect, another one quits the music stream, GTA runs without any issues for hours...

I have ftth 500/200 with a LANCOM 1900EFΒ Firewall

There has been a suspicion held by some on this forum (myself included) that for a gaming platform 3dxchat is overly sensitive to latency, which causes connection lost experiences instead of the game handling a momentary latency issue and recovering.

I am no communication expert so apologies to anyone that understands this stuff better than me.Β  What follows is based on my understanding and my belief.

As I understand it, the speed of the internet service provided to a user by an ISP is certainly an important factor that can affect latency.Β  Increase the speed and the latency should reduce.Β  The speed measures how fast data moves through the wires/fibres.Β  Latency however takes into account the time it takes for the signal to travel from the client to the server or vice versa.Β  Whilst faster speeds will reduce latency, other factors affect latency such as the distance of the route the signal travels, the speed that signals are processed by relays, switches, software and processors encoutered along the route, and any variability in the quality of the services provided (for example some ISP services will suffer more from contention for services and bandwidth than others).

Variability in latency (jitter) is specific to each person's circumstances.Β  When jitter is combined with a client/server architecture that is overly sensitive to longer latency, then the result is going to be "random" lost connections.Β  This can explain why some people suffer from lost connections and others don't.

Latency itself is outside of the control of 3dxchat and not their fault.Β  Actually end users have more control over it...for example changing ISPs, using VPNs, increasing internet service speeds, changing firewall services, replacing routers, using contention free services, the number of devices on the local network, WiFi speed and quality, moving country - ok that last one was not serious but to help make the point.Β  Reduce the average latency and any jitter, then in theory lost connections will reduce or go.Β Β 

But another way to reduce lost connections is for the 3dxchat client and/or servers to be less sensitive to latency (assuming that currently they are too sensitive).Β  This approach is within the control of 3dxchat, such as timeout settings.Β  The downside of this approach is that game play could be impacted in other ways, such as occasional momentary losses in responsiveness or syncing issues, but I guess this is less intrusive than a lost connection.

Once again, apologies to anyone that understands this area better than me.Β  There is a helpful guide to speed and latency here (other guides exist and I'm not affiliated to or the authors in any way).

https://www.highspeedinternet.com/resources/bandwidth-vs-latency-what-is-the-difference

Edited by Leopardus