3DXChat Community

Looking for a one-way-mirror

Maxecco

One way I could see this working was if the 'mirror' was actually a giant block filling the room.
Objects have no texture from the inside out, so if you figure out a way to get your avatar INTO the mirror block, you can look out of it and see no texture.
But on the other side of the 'window' you see the outside of the 'mirror' block.

Now with the Teleports, you can just 'fake' the door and maybe teleport into the big block? Maybe?

Clever could be interesting way of doing windows for privacy, honestly feel like some idiot for never actually trying it out before. Well kinda a lie I suppose, did do it to hide water before but never actually tried using it in this way before. Good find.

Edited by TashaTight

After deeper investigation: you don't even need this water layer! Shaders of Water and Bottle Glass are broken (I think that their refrection is a issue). So. You need white Bottle Glass on one side and one of following materials at other side: Bottle Glass, Water, Blur Glass, New/Old Glass.

Also. I found that Bottle Glass and Blur glass didn't stack each other, so you can use two layers with diffrent colors, like Blue on one or Red or another one. 

Edited by cichy96

17 hours ago, cichy96 said:

After deeper investigation: you don't even need this water layer! Shaders of Water and Bottle Glass are broken (I think that their refrection is a issue). So. You need white Bottle Glass on one side and one of following materials at other side: Bottle Glass, Water, Blur Glass, New/Old Glass.

Also. I found that Bottle Glass and Blur glass didn't stack each other, so you can use two layers with diffrent colors, like Blue on one or Red or another one. 

Wasn't gonna reply since seemed Maxecco wanted to limit information on how he did to people PMing him about, but since it's pretty much out the bag now anyways. Two bottle glass are enough, if you make one in the really dark range tone until the other side fade out and then other side a much brighter tone. The it seems one layer overwrite the other in terms of transparency.

• 2 weeks later...

By the way, it works fine when the mirror Y rotation is 0/180, otherwise the view is distorted/broken. It's not a big deal, but can become one when/if you have to rotate and reposition a complete building, just to make this work 😛 

How it looks and how it works in my build.

- "non-transparent" side must be made of any transperent material (any glass or water). To make it look solid you have to set the color to black (I recommend #000000). I am using two layers to get it completely non-transparent. I wouldn't recommend adding more layers, as it would hinder the performance.

- transparent side is made of blur glass, but bottle glass can be used as well, both of these materials overwrite transparency shaders of any material behind it, technically ignoring its properties.

Both sides looks are at the pics attached, as well as the structure of the "sandwich"

2022-01-27 01-41-02_252760.png

2022-01-27 01-41-13_253269.png

2022-01-27 01-42-42_255824.png

• 2 weeks later...

🇫🇷 Bonsoir les amis, c'est sympa d'avoir donné cette petite astuce.
J'ai essayé mais ça ne fonctionne pas... Je crois que quelque chose m'échappe. Chez moi c'est transparent.
J'ai utilisé deux verres floue noir et un verre de bouteille blanc, et j'ai un rendu transparent.
J'ai aussi essayé deux vitres normales en noir et un verre de bouteille et pareil.. 🤔

🇺🇸 Good evening friends, it's nice that you gave this little tip.
I tried it but it doesn't work... I think I'm missing something. In my case it's transparent.
I used two black blurred glasses and one white bottle glass and I get a transparent look.
I also tried two normal black glasses and a bottle glass and the same. 🤔

🇫🇷 Rectification. C'est pour un miroir sans tain. Je croyais que c'était pour faire un vrai miroir. Autant pour moi !
Ca marche lol J'ai mal traduit c'est ma faute.
Merci pour l'astuce !
Stupid Khall ☺️☺️😅

🇺🇸 Correction. This is for a one-way mirror. I thought it was to make a real mirror. My bad!
It works lol I translated it wrong it's my fault.
Thanks for the tip!
Stupid Khall ☺️☺️😅

Edited by Khallum Troy