3DXChat Community

The Town Project - Looking for partners

Puka

Hi Everyone!

I used to play 3dxchat a lot in the past, but took several looong breaks. I am a passionate builder and love to create for RPs. Aʟᴄᴀᴛʀᴀᴢ ✪ Pʀɪsᴏɴ and Tʜᴇ Wʜɪᴛᴇ Hᴏᴜsᴇ were my previous builds that some of you may have seen. I like to build as "real" as possible, getting inspiration from real life buildings and structures. I also love to build big! I mean really BIG! Of course the obvious problem with that was the time needed for players to travel in the world. The new teleport object made me say go "hmm..." :) This will easily eliminate the problem of travel, eg: through metro, elevators, etc.

New year, new project! :) Now, I am building a town ("PukaTown" at the moment) and wanted to share the details, as well as the updates on this forum. This will be a complete town on an island, where players will be able to find/create multiple different RP options. 

• Since the town will be huge, I want to avoid detailed structures as much as possible - no pianos! :)  
  • Due to #1, I am planning to build all items and buildings from scratch and, though very tempting, will not use structures built by others. So far, the only exception could be using the church by @Torax - if he allows. I don't think I can beat the simplicity and beauty of that. 
  • Pukatown.com will help create a community in the long run, with map, rules, events, updates, citizens, etc. Through the website, people will become citizens, living and working in the town. The website will enable broad information sharing to enable structured RP event planings.
  • There will be a "colds allowed" (red light?) district for those who are not interested in RP
  • More to come... :) 

I know that this has been done more than a few times and by VERY experienced builders. I wanted to give it a try too :) I also know that this will take a very long time. The only way I can do this faster is by finding partners in building.

If you are interested in partnering, please find me in the game or reach out to me @discord Puka#4781.

Cheers! :) 

map.png

Edited by Puka

Hi there and good luck for your ambitious project! Wishing you the best for it and I am pretty eager to see the final result!

Regarding the church or any other object I shared, you are free to use them and modify them to your liking to make it fit your project!

On 1/5/2022 at 12:27 PM, Puka said:

Hi Everyone!

I used to play 3dxchat a lot in the past, but took several looong breaks. I am a passionate builder and love to create for RPs. Aʟᴄᴀᴛʀᴀᴢ ✪ Pʀɪsᴏɴ and Tʜᴇ Wʜɪᴛᴇ Hᴏᴜsᴇ were my previous builds that some of you may have seen. I like to build as "real" as possible, getting inspiration from real life buildings and structures. I also love to build big! I mean really BIG! Of course the obvious problem with that was the time needed for players to travel in the world. The new teleport object made me say go "hmm..." :) This will easily eliminate the problem of travel, eg: through metro, elevators, etc.

New year, new project! :) Now, I am building a town - PᴜᴋᴀTᴏᴡɴ (PT) and wanted to share the details, as well as the updates on this forum. Draft layout v0.0001 :) attached - white sections: construction started. This will be a complete town on an island, where players will be able to find/create multiple different RP options. 

There is not much more to share than the idea yet, so I will just finish with the outlines of it:

1. Since PT will be huge, I want to avoid detailed structures as much as possible - no pianos! :) 
  2. Due to #1, I am planning to build all items and buildings from scratch and not use structures built by others - though very tempting. So far, the only exception could be using the church by @Torax - if he allows. I don't think I can beat the simplicity and beauty of that. 
  3. Purchased pukatown.com (nothing there yet) to create a community in the long run, with map, rules, events, updates, citizens, etc. (I hope that's allowed?) I have some php, mysql, etc. experience, enough to develop it - but, it will take time...
  4. Through the website, people will become citizens, living and working in PT. The website will enable broad information sharing to enable structured RP event plannings.
  5. There will be a "colds allowed" (red light?) district for those who are not interested in RP
  6. More to come... :) 

I know that this has been done more than a few times and by VERY experienced builders. I wanted to give it a try too :) I also know that this will take a very long time. The only way I can do this faster is by finding partners in building.

If you are interested in partnering, let me know and we can meet up in the game.

Cheers! :) 

841407490_Map001.thumb.png.67375c1f874ec00c31651b787e22fc31.png

Been considering doing somewhat the same, but think if you want this to become a success. You need to do some testing first to figure out what people are actually going to use or not, so you don't end with a big empty room with a couple of people sitting here and there. Suggest looking at the existing RP rooms see what works and what doesn't then try plan out something from there.

Good luck, can tell already now it's going to be a huge undertaking, you're of course welcome to use any my available builds if any then could be useful to you.

Thanks @TashaTight, I have been spending a lot of time in RP rooms - and will keep doing so to get inspiration and learn.

Yes, it's going to be a lot of work *sigh* ... Thus, I have already changed my decision on designing from scratch, especially after @Music's tool enabled simplifying/lightening masterpiece builds by others for reuse. Thanks for allowing me to use your builds as well. Naïve question: 3dxchatsharing is the only sharing platform I am aware of, where I didn't see any of yours. Are there other, similarly big platforms I can find builds?

59 minutes ago, Puka said:

Thanks @TashaTight, I have been spending a lot of time in RP rooms - and will keep doing so to get inspiration and learn.

Yes, it's going to be a lot of work *sigh* ... Thus, I have already changed my decision on designing from scratch, especially after @Music's tool enabled simplifying/lightening masterpiece builds by others for reuse. Thanks for allowing me to use your builds as well. Naïve question: 3dxchatsharing is the only sharing platform I am aware of, where I didn't see any of yours. Are there other, similarly big platforms I can find builds?

I put mostly some school rooms on there than I got neighborhood but it's on the world editor forum, have a smaller school too but never really got around to updating that one. Maybe will try get that done but link to neighborhood is here:

It underwent a few changes under way but different versions should all be there. Put in last updated version with new small school, will see if I can find separate house files and school as separate if it's anything you feel can be used for your project.

Edited by TashaTight

23 hours ago, Puka said:

Don't think there is many other build platforms, 3dxModz used to have some I think but most it's been removed. Then Juicyjina used to have one too but think it closed down page link doesn't work anymore less she moved it somewhere else. So think about Torax platform there is probably only what people list in world editor forum for free that I am personally aware of, unless somebody knows more than I do.

On 1/8/2022 at 1:13 PM, TashaTight said:

I put mostly some school rooms on there than I got neighborhood but it's on the world editor forum, have a smaller school too but never really got around to updating that one. Maybe will try get that done but link to neighborhood is here:

Ah! The "Friends and Neighbours"! :) Of course I know your room, great work! Thanks for sharing and letting me know where the file is.

Indeed, the concept is very similar to what you have done. I have just changed the layout to circular though, around a big mountain / island. It looks that will make navigation more straight forward, expanding easier (just adding bus stops as I build) and minimize the number of large empty plots. We'll see... 

On 1/8/2022 at 1:13 PM, TashaTight said:

School FINAL.world

School is one of the few buildings I have started working on - attached. It's work in progress. When it's done, it will have: 1 arts class, 1 dancing class, 1 computer room, 1 regular class, 1 principals office, 1 teachers room and 2 toilets. As you can see, I am trying to keep it simple, avoiding too detailed builds to avoid a huge world file.

That brings me to another beginners question :) What's your experience with world sizes? What is an "acceptable size" that would work even on mediocre PCs/laptops?  8MBs? 10? @Torax - I would love to learn your thoughts too, since I think you have the most experience. What's the critical number? (Sorry if this was already discussed & addressed, I couldn't find) 

6 minutes ago, Puka said:

School FINAL.world 98.86 kB · 0 downloads

School is one of the few buildings I have started working on - attached. It's work in progress. When it's done, it will have: 1 arts class, 1 dancing class, 1 computer room, 1 regular class, 1 principals office, 1 teachers room and 2 toilets. As you can see, I am trying to keep it simple, avoiding too detailed builds to avoid a huge world file.

That brings me to another beginners question :) What's your experience with world sizes? What is an "acceptable size" that would work even on mediocre PCs/laptops?  8MBs? 10? @Torax - I would love to learn your thoughts too, since I think you have the most experience. What's the critical number? (Sorry if this was already discussed & addressed, I couldn't find) 

Way I understand it from testing a bit, there two sides to size of room and how it reflect on people. Seems there is a server side it's one that impact mostly your interaction while working with file and uploading copy to the server, where it's then hosted at via you. From there size on loading room and all that stuff while it's being hosted seems mostly impacted via your settings like the Detailization range, so if you effectively have largely area separated by significantly big distance from each other they should not, be nearly as load heavy while being in one the area, even if the file itself is somewhat larger far as I can tell while testing the teleporters.

But maybe some can clarify on that further, but if that is the case you could probably do file size like 8-10mb where it be mostly be just a issue for you while building, but once it moves into hosting it wouldn't as much long as you don't plant too much stuff close to each other. So if for instance map is split with a sizeable distance within and each structure area is maybe 1-2mb in size it should in principle not be load heavy for people within those area. They may still get a slight load going into room itself but otherwise should run smoothly past that given enough distance between built area long as the zones individually are not too larger beyond 1-1½ maybe or something.

That totally makes sense, and I hope it is true. Because, if you ignore the room loading delay, that would pretty much mean "no limit" in a more linear (or wide circular in my case) layout of a large world with low-medium detailization range. Building won't be a big issue for me, as I anyway prefer building in batches (building by building) and then bringing them together.

Hello Puka and Tasha, 

nice to see such a great projekt i was amazed by the white house you created. 

Since august 2021 i Joined a Group that used the File of the neighborhood and running it as [RP] Family & Neighbors since that moment i upgraded the room step by step and last stand of the file size was at 5 mb,  and so far every feedback was good. 

i just can recommend to work in "Modular" sectors, so you can remove and add the buildings separately.

Maybe you have a visit a the Neighborhood and have a Coffee :)

Greetings Max

Hey @Puka, Im interested to collab... I have created a similar room... exact idea but with a beach front for the neighborhood.... I have used the home layout from a file called Neighborhood and i have created my own neighborhood from scratch with a detailed shop and bank and a beach cafe.... maybe we can build over my file to save you time and we can host this together if you like...

We can schedule a meeting in game and we can go through it and if @Maxeccowould like to be a part of it, as i have been in his version of the neighborhood multiple times and i think the three of us have something in common..

Let me know :)

Hi @Areej, happy to hear that you are interested! :) I am in CET time, so I guess we will have limited time options to meet - but at the same time, this might be a good thing in the long run while building! ;) I have just joined discord: Puka#4781 and created a server: https://discord.gg/rZqw4MyX for the purpose. I have limited experience in using it but I understand that it is the most convenient and popular way of communication for gamers. Please ping me when you are online.

Looking forward to meeting you! :) 

On 1/14/2022 at 8:10 AM, Areej said:

We can schedule a meeting in game and we can go through it and if @Maxeccowould like to be a part of it, as i have been in his version of the neighborhood multiple times and i think the three of us have something in common..

We just met and agreed to team up with @Maxecco today! :) We hope you will join us as well.

This is so exciting! :D 

Just finished building a new cafe for the town - I know, "Cafe" is a dull name for a cafe :) I want the "owner" in RP to pick a name ;) 

By the way, I will change the name. PukaTown is very selfish, and doesn't reflect the partnership I am seeking for building. Let me know if you have any suggestions.

41855051_2022-01-2417-06-53_1976602.thumb.png.82482ad8265df569fca51527146b7c18.png

1651015611_2022-01-2417-08-07_1981050.thumb.png.116ab8c19402ed2be0ac70a1335594ca.png

67255020_2022-01-2417-09-23_1985610.thumb.png.8132021767622113bf9f3dbf2d6ca47d.png

762838956b86071747da2fb745e1e022.jpg

Edited by Puka

• Puka changed the title to 3DX Town Project - Looking for partners in building

Just a quick update:

• Built the square (inspired from the Trafalgar Square) in front of the La Scala
  • Built a petrol station - pumps and shop decoration in progress
  • Started building pukatown.com in parallel; a landing page and map is ready
  • Set up the Discord server (please do join) - thanks for the tips @Maxecco

Pick-up is painfully slow though... Lots and lots of good comments and compliments from visitors, but since there is no action, they leave after a while. @TashaTight gave some great advice regarding balancing the room, making it appealing also for "light" RPers. Thus, today I will build and add a strip bar, first of the several naughty buildings.

Finally, MANY thanks to @Diana Prince for her support! I truly admire her talent and character, and really excited that she is interested in the project! :) 

pic_800x500_lascala.png.b63c44fbe7cc3c1fc5a2aedeabcbccc0.png

pic_800x500_petrol.png.cd53b64cbbd8a5873f0bd48857f112d7.png

• Puka changed the title to The Town Project - Looking for partners
4 hours ago, Angelqueen said:

I really like your huge work with this town... and gladly help you to build more! My time is limited, but i can build one building to you as a help.

So glad to hear that Angelqueen! Would you please join the our discord server so we can exchange files? 

Looking forward to meeting you in the game :)