3DXChat Community

Excel World Editor

Music

If anyone is interested, I have created an excel tool (VBA Macros) to load world files and display them in an excel tab

world_editor01.thumb.jpg.fde1426e991b068a0d91719dfb7368b8.jpg

With that tool you can easily edit some values, additionally there are some built in functions like:

• Remove duplicates
  • Duplicate groups
  • Moving and rotating of the world file (as preparation to merge it into another one)
  • As well it has the possibility to convert 24 bit .bmp images to world files

I used that tool for instance for a mass repair of the broken stairs (by just filtering all stairs with z-scale of >= 1 and setting them to 0.9999)

I am going to extend it further (thankful for any ideas)

If you are interested, just hit me up (here or in game)

Hey Music,

So far, I have been using only 3dxRemoveDuplicates, beyond the standard world editor, but this sounds like a much more advanced tool.

I would love to try it out out and give input / feedback.

Cheers  

Wow!!!!

Already tried out "round values" (3 digits) and "remove duplicates" and the file size dropped by 25%!

I don't know if there was already something like this but, this is excellent! Well done and many thanks for sharing! 

I will come back if I have any suggestions. Thanks again!

5 minutes ago, Yaelle said:

Libre Office Calc found some VBA macro errors with your file, but perhaps it's possible to adapt macros to Libre Office Calc ? Someone could try ? I'm so bad with this...

Maybe you can tell me which macros those are, maybe I can check them

Thanks ! Errors appear when I open your file in Libre Office Calc. I can't run any macro. Perhaps it's just syntax differences between Excel and Calc, or perhaps it's really totally incompatible ? I don't know.

That seems to be 2 issues,

one is the win32 / win64 compatibility, which forces to declare a subroutine twice, if it uses a Windows DLl

the second are functions which pass back arrays

I will check this tomorrow if I find a fast solution for that

If somebody has a bad intention, he can use excel macros to do harm to your computer.

but that does not mean that every excel macro is a virus. The same is valid anyway with every program, it could contain some harmful code.

14 hours ago, Yaelle said:

Thanks ! Errors appear when I open your file in Libre Office Calc. I can't run any macro. Perhaps it's just syntax differences between Excel and Calc, or perhaps it's really totally incompatible ? I don't know.

It seems there are bigger incompatibility issues with LibreOffice. After sorting the start errors out, there appear more errors when trying to use the functions, and they refer to the excel object model. So I fear, the code would have to ported to LibreOffice at many points

Remove Details

I think it would be helpful to add a function to detect and delete items smaller than a defined volume eg: =ABS(ScaleX*ScaleY*ScaleZ)

This could be useful for builders like me, using shared worlds from others and being able delete details but keep the overall structure.

I understand that a very thin but large object could also be deleted with this method since the overall volume will be small. May be you can find a way to overcome that challenge. 

Edited by Puka

8 minutes ago, Puka said:

Remove Details

I think it would be helpful to add a column and/or function to detect and delete items smaller than a defined volume eg: =ABS(ScaleX*ScaleY*ScaleZ)

This could be useful for builders like me, using shared worlds from others and being able delete details but keep the overall structure.

I understand that a very thin but large object could also be deleted with this method since the overall volume will be small. May be you can find a way to overcome that challenge. 

Thanks for the suggestion, Puka.

I could add a function which might check both, the single scales being smaller than a certain value and the product of the scales being smaller than a certain value.

The only issues with that is that some objects are bigger than 1 m, e.g. the SemiArches, so that the scale is not 100% safe for the detection of small objects.

there is a workaround you can use for that: just add a formula in one column where you build the product and then use the standard filter function of excel to detect all objects matching the requirements

You can then simply delete the filtered lines

Edited by Music

I understand what you mean. Could making the volume calculation based on a standard relative (to box for example) scale help? Eg: For a 1:1:1 TorusQ2, while the ScaleY will still be 1, it's X and Y will be 2.5 (relative to box). 

I cant see the value of checking "single scales being smaller than a certain value"... Why would anyone want to remove thin objects only?

37 minutes ago, Music said:

there is a workaround you can use for that: just add a formula in one column where you build the product and then use the standard filter function of excel to detect all objects matching the requirements

You can then simply delete the filtered lines

That's what I do at the moment :) But have to repeat all the steps (enter the formula, filter, sort, select, delete) every time I re-open a file... 

9 minutes ago, Puka said:

I cant see the value of checking "single scales being smaller than a certain value"... Why would anyone want to remove thin objects only?

It would just be possibility to make sure you do not select thin and long objects with the volume limit by checking on both volume and scale

14 minutes ago, Puka said:

I understand what you mean. Could making the volume calculation based on a standard relative (to box for example) scale help? Eg: For a 1:1:1 TorusQ2, while the ScaleY will still be 1, it's X and Y will be 2.5 (relative to box). 

I would very much appreciate if you could consider this. I have no idea how to do it, but I think it is doable and is the right solution? Let me know if I can be of help, like finding out the relative scale ratios of each object?

16 minutes ago, Puka said:

I would very much appreciate if you could consider this. I have no idea how to do it, but I think it is doable and is the right solution? Let me know if I can be of help, like finding out the relative scale ratios of each object?

I guess we need to measure every object and store the information in one additional tab of the excel file, then I could refer to that. I guess the only way is to go into the builder and measure every object compared to the standard cube