3DXChat Community

Naughty Designer 3

Niblette

Hi @Niblette,

I stumbled upon something else. When I tried to convert simple lines (paths), ND III creates a world file without any objects.

This is how it looks in Inkscape:
image.thumb.png.5181f9c88b7bc6e5f04cde17668b3ea3.png

This is in ND III:

image.thumb.png.fb4f7e2a295ece6dc45bc91c19ba85c3.png

And this is the world file:

{"valuetype":"float","objects":[{"n":"group","objects":]},{"n":"group","objects":]},{"n":"group","objects":]}]}

Another thing: when I convert freehand curves or spirales, etc., there is a new line in the generated world file that "closes" the object.

image.thumb.png.be7e703d91694fbdcc7474aba858e39c.png

image.thumb.png.6efa85bd37f6bd94266b2516428df6fd.png

384979271_2022-01-0809-59-01_177056.thumb.png.4140b845d0feffdd9b344ac526053f71.png

Am I doing anything wrong? It seems the path must always be "closed". Is there a way to avoid this? So that the spiral looks like in Inkscape and in ND III?

Thank you in advance! 😘

Right now each vector outline needs to create at least three objects since that's the simplest object possible a triangle, I could change that it would need its own code to handle those vectors separate from the main code. I am not sure it really matters though or if there is a reason to create such simple shapes. Originally I had a second process for open and closed vectors but at some point I removed that since some optimization steps need the vector to be closed. Its something might be able to add back but you can simply delete the line that closes the shape and get the same output as if it was a open vector shape. There should be a new version coming out some maybe tonight but likely tomorrow that will make some settings accessible.

7 hours ago, Niblette said:

Right now each vector outline needs to create at least three objects since that's the simplest object possible a triangle, I could change that it would need its own code to handle those vectors separate from the main code. I am not sure it really matters though or if there is a reason to create such simple shapes. Originally I had a second process for open and closed vectors but at some point I removed that since some optimization steps need the vector to be closed. Its something might be able to add back but you can simply delete the line that closes the shape and get the same output as if it was a open vector shape. There should be a new version coming out some maybe tonight but likely tomorrow that will make some settings accessible.

Hi Niblette,

thanks for the response and clarification 😃

I just wanted to know if I was doing something wrong. It's no problem deleting the lines in world editor.

Looking forward to the next version 😊

xoxo

The new version is out. It does two thing first it lets you combine points based on length so small line segments can be optimized better. I noticed some images were creating an excessive amount and in some cases this change can cut the file size in half without out reducing quality much. Second the program better supports open vectors and shouldn't create extra lines that will have to be removed. The program before had a hard coded minimum length value of 0.01 and now its set at 0.3, but cant be changed.

6 hours ago, Niblette said:

The new version is out. It does two thing first it lets you combine points based on length so small line segments can be optimized better. I noticed some images were creating an excessive amount and in some cases this change can cut the file size in half without out reducing quality much. Second the program better supports open vectors and shouldn't create extra lines that will have to be removed. The program before had a hard coded minimum length value of 0.01 and now its set at 0.3, but cant be changed.

This is awesome! Your tool helped me so much already. Creating logos and stuff is a piece of cake now 🙂

• 3 weeks later...

🇫🇷 Cet outil à l'air vraiment super. C'est très intéressant. J'aimerais essayé, mais ça semble difficile. Serait-il possible d'avoir le tuto en Français s'il vous plait ?

🇺🇸 This tool looks really great. It is very interesting. I would like to try it, but it seems difficult. Would it be possible to have the tuto in French please?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Awesome work, Niblette! I'm having an issue when trying to create a world file, though. I can get the svg imported into Naughty Designer fine, and everything looks good there. I create the world file and everything seems ok. But when I try to load the world file in 3DX, nothing happens. The world I had loaded before stays there, and nothing new loads. I'm adding the svg and world files here so you can see if I did something wrong, if you get a chance. Thanks!

Odd note, it wouldn't let me attach the svg here for some reason, so I put that in a rar file.

896672.world 896672.rar

51 minutes ago, Diana Prince said:

I removed this very small path in the svg file, this might mess up things.
Then I made the whole image larger in Inkscape.

In Naughty Designer I used the values in my screenshot, they were working ok.

Screenshot 2022-05-24 220550.png

896672_3.world 51.21 kB · 0 downloads

2022-05-24 22-04-31_153068.png

896672_2.zip 4.92 kB · 0 downloads

Wow, thanks! Is there something I should look for in the paths to prevent this? I'll try using the settings you have and see if things start working for me.

Just check in the list of path that there aren't any tiny vector outlines and that each path is unified by under Path in Inkscape clicking Union. What's happens sometimes if your forcing the program to try to draw an impossible shape for it to represent with the thickness outline you have it will divide by zero and crash. If you get no output it means the program has crashed. I'll add exception handling soon so a popup appears with hopefully some helpful information about what happened rather then just nothing happening. Also I would really recommend using Inkscape 1.2 at least for me the older Inkscape seems to lag sometimes when I al using it now. 

ink.jpg

Edited by Niblette

Hi Niblette. Great to hear that you still improve the editor. It's the best tool ever and saved me literally hundreds of hours of building time 🤩
Any chance that there will be a version that creates filled out shapes in the future? I know it must be incredible complex to calculate and create.

23 hours ago, Niblette said:

Just check in the list of path that there aren't any tiny vector outlines and that each path is unified by under Path in Inkscape clicking Union. What's happens sometimes if your forcing the program to try to draw an impossible shape for it to represent with the thickness outline you have it will divide by zero and crash. If you get no output it means the program has crashed. I'll add exception handling soon so a popup appears with hopefully some helpful information about what happened rather then just nothing happening. Also I would really recommend using Inkscape 1.2 at least for me the older Inkscape seems to lag sometimes when I al using it now. 

ink.jpg

Thank you for the info. I went through the paths on this one, and they all look ok. I went ahead and did Union on them anyway. Still running into the problem where it saves a world file that never loads in 3dx. Maybe part of the problem is that the entire image doesn't show in the preview window in Naughty Designer. I've resized the image down in Inkscape, but that seems to have no effect.

Test-New1.rar

Edited by cajunsamantha

The issue isn't really with the SVG file although I did brake apart the palms so they draw correctly. The SVG you provided however did run for me but you have to be careful with the settings the toes are small and if you try to make the outline to thick they will crash the program. Also most of the time the output might be huge and you might need to look around to find it and since the file has a lot of outlines it might take a number of minutes to save it. If you try loading the file before it saves completely nothing will load.

test.thumb.jpg.b34d35e21f8493db0ab28ddb9e132ccf.jpgsettings.thumb.jpg.12d7e76a72a9d339e7104c9dcb57a2ae.jpg

test2.zip

Edited by Niblette

22 hours ago, Diana Prince said:

Hi Niblette. Great to hear that you still improve the editor. It's the best tool ever and saved me literally hundreds of hours of building time 🤩
Any chance that there will be a version that creates filled out shapes in the future? I know it must be incredible complex to calculate and create.

Well I though about it a bit and have also used the program a bit as well to see that it would be nice to get that working, but I have not put much work into it yet. Likely the next version will focus on adding inside and outside drawing options for outlines. Right now the program grows the vector outline an equal distance on both sides of it but, I want to rethink that and let people selected whether they want the outline completely inside the shape of the vector outline or completely outside as options. 

1 hour ago, Niblette said:

Well I though about it a bit and have also used the program a bit as well to see that it would be nice to get that working, but I have not put much work into it yet. Likely the next version will focus on adding inside and outside drawing options for outlines. Right now the program grows the vector outline an equal distance on both sides of it but, I want to rethink that and let people selected whether they want the outline completely inside the shape of the vector outline or completely outside as options. 

Sounds great! Good to hear that you are still improving the ND 🙂
If you need any beta testers, just message me 😉

6 hours ago, Niblette said:

The issue isn't really with the SVG file although I did brake apart the palms so they draw correctly. The SVG you provided however did run for me but you have to be careful with the settings the toes are small and if you try to make the outline to thick they will crash the program. Also most of the time the output might be huge and you might need to look around to find it and since the file has a lot of outlines it might take a number of minutes to save it. If you try loading the file before it saves completely nothing will load.

test.thumb.jpg.b34d35e21f8493db0ab28ddb9e132ccf.jpgsettings.thumb.jpg.12d7e76a72a9d339e7104c9dcb57a2ae.jpg

test2.zip 258.25 kB · 0 downloads

You're both so helpful, thank you! So it sounds like I just need to keep messing with the settings (scale, width) each time I create one to find the "happy spot" for that particular image. I'll keep at it and see if I get better lol

1 hour ago, cajunsamantha said:

You're both so helpful, thank you! So it sounds like I just need to keep messing with the settings (scale, width) each time I create one to find the "happy spot" for that particular image. I'll keep at it and see if I get better lol

Yes, exactly! That's what I do.. search for that sweet spot 🙂  But maybe Niblette has a better advice 🙂

2 hours ago, Diana Prince said:

Yes, exactly! That's what I do.. search for that sweet spot 🙂  But maybe Niblette has a better advice 🙂

Just need to practice more. And I still run into the problem where two shapes get connected by a line that I have to delete I'm 3dx. Is that because I'm not breaking the image correctly in Inkscape?

On 5/27/2022 at 12:41 AM, Niblette said:

If there are any shapes that have cutout areas' those need to be broken apart, if they are not the program will try to connect them since it considers them one outline hence the extra lines.

What I'm doing is selecting the entire image, then hitting Break. Is there another "step" I should be doing when I do that? I've attached a couple more examples. When I break these, the paths don't look like it covers all the parts of the images. Makes me think I'm missing a step or messing up the break somehow.

And thank u so much for all the help. I'm brand new to this and REALLY wanna learn :)

SVGs.rar

Edited by cajunsamantha

Well what your doing should work I think, but what I do is shown in the image below. Really you also need to optimize the vector for the best results remove small paths and just clean them up a bit the programs only as good as its input and smoother simpler lines help a bit.

face.jpg

33 minutes ago, Niblette said:

Well what your doing should work I think, but what I do is shown in the image below. Really you also need to optimize the vector for the best results remove small paths and just clean them up a bit the programs only as good as its input and smoother simpler lines help a bit.

face.jpg

Ok, I'll try deleting anything that is a little too small to reduce the number of paths to see if that helps.  Thanks, Niblette!

• 4 weeks later...