3DXChat Community

Naughty Designer 3

Niblette

Naughty Designer 3 is focused on vector art created in .svg format. The program saves .svg, .png, .jpeg, .jpg, .tga, and .bmp files to .world format. It also adds a new more graphical interface, as well as bug fixes for the raster art section. I will describe how to use Naughty Designer 3 with Inkscape. However, it should be possible to do the same steps with other vector editors. There are many sources of SVG files and you can always make your own but I found this site that has many workable files you can start with. https://svgsilh.com/

dancers.thumb.png.bb0de334860cd6f95b8e0d7c0ddbe721.pngdanceOne.thumb.png.38dbd0e38fa891ed3af2b746d8f0efed.pngletters2.thumb.png.de7e7c040b1536dfa715648eae54a7ee.png

There are a number of things you should do to properly prepare your vector files for import.

Naughty Designer 3 only supports svg path. If your vector is a shape or text and not a path it's a good idea to convert it to a path before saving. Your editor also might convert everything other than a path to a path when you save but it might not always be a sure thing. I'll go into more detail below on how to convert text.

However, there is one step that is required. You must select all individual vectors and break them, as shown below. Then save the file. Once that’s done, the file can be loaded and will work, but for the best functionally, you should also do the following things.

Lion.thumb.png.3e37c67d140735c1dc7031b0016cadfd.png

Lion2.thumb.png.232a88e8829beffa74064f1769289c46.png

If you do not do the following step, you may find that the preview window may not work. Some vector images have the vector in strange places in space and only an empty page or some part of the image might load if you don’t fix that. Open the vector image and copy and paste it to a new blank Inkscape page. If the image seems too large, you may need to scale it down, but as long as it’s not hugely larger than the size of the page, it should be fine. The image can be below and behind the top left-hand corner but not above or in front of it as shown in the image below. 

letters3.thumb.png.5ba95bf998b026330d58196ca8501a4a.png

It’s also a good idea to go look through all the vectors that were created when you broke the image and delete any useless ones complicated vectors almost also create a few. Then drag the vectors out of the hierarchy. This step is optional but recommended since you might create extra empty vectors that won’t be loaded into 3DX or even extra objects you don’t want.  

lion3.thumb.png.c9c3823e7c50bb8fb2c4c8781cddb78b.png

You can convert any font inside Inkscape or another editor into a workable file. First, write out what you want in a large font such as 250 point smaller font should work too but I never really tested that. Then select the text and pick the Path drop-down menu and select and press Object to Path.

text1.thumb.png.a4373d322dde9a52bd746793f879599f.png

Now your text with be broken into paths but you need to drag them path out of the hierarchy. A little black arrow will have appeared press that and the path inside the text object will drop down. Select all the paths and then under the Path menu click Break Apart.

text2.thumb.png.14c26d6b458eaad2bb92884d0b0c1c66.png

The last step is to select the text object, and any other layers and deleted them. Now just save the file as .svg.

text3.png

letter.thumb.png.04ae6a86c125851983c3563dd2e1c532.png

There are two methods of scaling inside Naughty Designer 3. The first is the Scale value which is exactly what it sounds like it makes the whole vector outline bigger or smaller inside 3DX Chat.

I found if I tried to scale a vector to much sometimes the program crashed because something was being divided by a value to close to zero. It's better to make your image bigger and scale it down inside 3DX once you are happy with the result you might need to try a few different settings to get something you like.

The second method is Width which is the thickness of the vector outline. This value is inherited from the value inside the Scale field when you load an SVG file. Width is the thickness of the outline of each vector. It's a good idea to keep both values the same the first time you load an image but you will probably want to double or triple this value I found as a rule of thumb.

The Samples value is the number of lines in the vector outline the program will start optimizing from. Increasing this value will increase accuracy at the expense of saving time. Sometimes it might be helpful to set this value to the specific number of object you want in a path if you want a more smoothed evenly divided result at the expense of finer details.

The Minimum Angle value is the minimum angle difference between each line segment the program will combine segments until it reaches an angle greater than this value. 

The Minimum Length value is the minimum length for a line segment. Segments smaller then this length will be combined. Originally this value was set for 0.01 and not accessible. 

Everything will come into 3DX Chat flipped upside down you will need to flip it over after import.

mermaid2.thumb.png.6bee3080033d5b56ed40b8e4ffb47c5a.png

Naughty Designer 3 still has support for raster images and works more or less identically in that regard to Naughty Designer 2.

rocket.png.988cd461e3a0e09e7edd907d61e5d318.thumb.png.9cfdd22ec977523f736339e0349238f3.png

Naughty Designer 3 opens most standard raster file formats (PNG, JPEG, JPG, TGA, and BMP). Naughty Designer 3 only supports 24-bit color. Support for ASCII PBM, and ASCII PPM files has been dropped. Other color modes are not supported, so make sure you save your file in 24-bit color.

The Edit menu lets you set the material and open an image showing how objects are plotted inside 3DX.

axis.png.d8b20c23566356140d92ff9ec686581f.thumb.png.910eb90357dc2da53dfb204fdd0c88eb.png

The plotting system plots all images from the origin point that is set inside Naughty Designer 3. By default it is set to (XYZ) (-75,6,-30). Which is close to the location of the default spawn point. Objects are plotted as shown in this example with the red dot being the origin point set in Naughty Designer II. The six different direction options let you pick which direction text will be viewed from so that it always reads left to right.

axis2.png.9db225d5775ac16a15bb72545dd5c92f.thumb.png.c037e4848212e1e0937b9c523dd14d15.png

The Set Color Override and Set Color Transparent options both require a hex color number without the #. You can't even enter the #, but if you're trying to copy the color from another program make sure you don't copy it with the #. The Set Color Override will override the color of all the objects with the color that you enter.

color.png.a7647757394adb6482b2fe5d5b253f0d.thumb.png.9041e9c410f7c3b00da27fc6b4c34220.png

The  Set Color Transparent option lets you set one color in the image transparent. Below is an example on an image with and without white (ffffff) set to transparent. 

trans.png.e5fb0068234f5e6d4f83fc0203dab2f7.thumb.png.2c815cf29a92137f3e0dded0f5feca6c.png

The Alpha Threshold Color is the color that will fill the alpha channel if the alpha value is below the threshold value. The Alpha Threshold is the slider that goes between 0 and 255 with 0 being totally transparent and 255 being fully opaque. Only parts of the image with some transparent will be filled even if the value is 255 it will only fill alpha values up to 254.  Setting the Alpha Threshold Color as the transparent color will then make all the areas in the image with that color transparent when the file is loaded.

Naughty Designer III combines objects that are the same color both horizontally and vertically.

If anyone finds any bugs let me know I am sure there are some. :P I would also like to hear suggestions for additional features if people have them. :) The file is linked here and also available on the 3DX Modz forum.

464479506_NaughtyDesigner3.2.2.zip

Edited by Niblette
Added version 3.2.2

• Niblette changed the title to Naughty Designer 3

Which scanner did you use? I might be able to send them the file to be white listed. I did run the files though Virus Total which is an online tool that runs every file though 63 different commercial scanners and there were 3 false positive out the 63 scanners it ran it though. I summited the file to SecureAge APEX which was one of the positives to be white listed, but the other two which are really the same and owned by the same company Avast/AVG limit the file size they will let me upload to 50mb. 

All the other major antivirus programs say its fine the report is below. Its just something that happens really with a new program when its first released.

https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/89ca5c8d7a46ba5e8f7f319efbe600f413a3e89906358e6b5be00a659b0c0168/detection

I cant wait to see what people come up with its always helpful to hear any issues and thanks.😀 

I'm playing around with Inkscape and the Naughty Designer, and I'm in love with it 🥰

I don't think it's technically possible to automatically fill out the structures in the screenshots above. Or is it?
But even so it's easy to fill them in the World Editor. This is how it should look in the end:

1729478153_StarkLogo2.thumb.png.dcd6656e822f1cd2b24182b554fe74a5.png

😘 Thanks again

Edited by Diana Prince

Right now the program doesn't do that and you would have to manually fill it in by stretching out boxes. It might be possible and something I'll think about adding in later versions though, but right now I want to make sure the program is drawing everything properly without making any gaps which I think it isn't in almost all cases but still its not completely tested and I had to do some fairly complicated stuff to make everything line up right.

The issue would be that might be quite an intensive search when there are a lot of object but I am not sure really there might be a way to make it only take a few times longer to save the file at least its possible now to think about. A file that was taking 12-16 hours to save on the older version I had a month or two ago now takes seconds so there is more room to more complicated types of optimizations now.

Edited by Niblette

Hello and congratulations for your remarkable work. I had a little fun with it and it works very well with Inkscape. I did a test because I think your program can help with more than just design. I drew a small polyline shape from Autocad which I then exported as a .dxf file to Inkscape. I then broke apart the imported dxf file. Then I opened the file on Naughty Designer. I can see the shape in the right window, change its width, etc... But it saves me an empty .world file. Any idea how to convert this correctly from .dxf to .svg?

I send you my .dxf if you want to try. Thanks again for this great tool!

try.dxf

8 hours ago, TonyVR said:

Hello Niblette, I am using Avast Antivirus. I added the program in the exceptions. Surely a false positive.

My Avast raised an alarm too. But as far as I understand the message correct, its not pointing an issue with the software, but with the webpage 3dxforum.com. So maybe this is something @Gizmo, @Lisa or @ColinDude can check or might answer.....

This is the warning poped up on my PC (in german):grafik.png.631cd7257d530ff9a8f2e71a0c42153c.png

Edited by LadiesToyDE

9 hours ago, Hincholas said:

Hello and congratulations for your remarkable work. I had a little fun with it and it works very well with Inkscape. I did a test because I think your program can help with more than just design. I drew a small polyline shape from Autocad which I then exported as a .dxf file to Inkscape. I then broke apart the imported dxf file. Then I opened the file on Naughty Designer. I can see the shape in the right window, change its width, etc... But it saves me an empty .world file. Any idea how to convert this correctly from .dxf to .svg?

I send you my .dxf if you want to try. Thanks again for this great tool!

try.dxf 124.65 kB · 1 download

Inkscape doesn't seem to like that .dfx when I tested it either, however I found that if you run it though the Aspose converter it creates a perfectly workable .svg file that works inside Naughty Designer and Inkscape. The converter is completely online and does not require a plugin.

http://products.aspose.app/cad/conversion/dxf-to-svg

path2.thumb.png.7035dc04cb8b091c12e801cec3fcce60.png

I summitted the file to Avast/AVG for them to review it turns out they also let you send a file from a web address which I missed somehow when I was looking at the submission form. Hopefully they should review it and add it to the white list in a few days. 

That file is missing the end of the file also it has spawn information in it which is kind of odd. Are you sure this file was created with Naughty Designer I don't see how the respawn information could have gotten into it the program doesn't save files with that information. Can you send me the SVG file that was created?

Ahahah no it's ok I added it thinking it would work. I did the test with other .dxf and it seems to work. Now I'm going to make a big drawing in Autocad and see how well I can import it into your program. If it works I think your tool will divise the time to build a room by 10 ;)

Working perfect! Thanks Niblette your fantastic work!! Was playing around to test, so far get the idea how it works.....just i wondering can we set the fill the shape in naughty designer or we have to do it manually in the game? Many thanks!

image.png

image.png

@Niblette, sometimes I got problems with converting a font to a world file.

In this case, I use the same font ("Adventure Font") and do the same steps (object to path, brake apart, move paths out of hirarchy, delete layer and font).
The small letters ("d" in this case") work, but the big letter ("D") produces an empty world file.

Do you have any idea what is causing this? Thanks in advance!

I can't upload svg files here, so I put the svg and world files in a zip and uploaded it to DropBox:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wvgote7no6hgtvf/Conversion examples.zip?dl=0

At first I though this was a bug in my program related to floating point accuracy. I think I still might at some point rework a few things related to that but after looking at it more closely those changes wouldn't help in this case both of the vectors in the big D have tiny loops and are not continues. You can fix the SVG file by selecting each vector individually and under Path clicking Union.

unite.thumb.png.aab42ccf0b53a766d7b0111b3db4c726.png

Edited by Niblette