3DXChat Community

Dead or nah?

Sabbath

Hellooooo.. I'm new to this community, this is my first month in. I notice a lot of rooms labeled as "RP" and when I enter there isn't really much rp going on. I am a former roleplayer looking to get into rp again (it's been a few years lol). In this community, does "RP" simply mean narration or are people actually collaboratively running through scenarios together? I haven't seen any actual rp anywhere thus far. I have a few ideas of my own that I would like to try out at some point and any information regarding this will be appreciated. I don't want to get excited just to find out no one actually roleplays. 

• 2 weeks later...

Things have certainly gotten worse. I believe RP was best when the lockdowns were most intense, when people played regularly, and you could do complex story lines with multiple people and be fairly confident you will be able to get the same people together and continue the story soon.

Now everyone is more busy, so you better stick to simpler one off scenes, since you aren't sure when you would see the person again

another thing is, i still meet very good roleplayers now and then, but unfortunately people who are good at RP tend to not be online very often; i guess it is understandable, more interesting people probably have more things to do in real life. not that i would know, of course :)

and, of course, most rooms that have RP in the name are merely a suggestion. It is more like the owner says: i built a room with a certain RP scenario in mind, and i'd like you to find people to RP with and use the room. you're welcome

But, since you can't really attach a room description/rules to a room (you can make a forum page, but who ever reads those?), the players have to guess what the owner had in mind; also, finding a partner who can RP takes a bit of luck

Rooms where the owner actually makes an effort to guide the RP are very rare; also please understand it is a lot of effort, and players don't make it very easy. I do come across such rooms now and then

Also, if you think you are good at RP, maybe you could run a guided RP room yourself? i would appreciate the effort :)

12 hours ago, AndroidGirl said:

Rooms where the owner actually makes an effort to guide the RP are very rare; also please understand it is a lot of effort, and players don't make it very easy. I do come across such rooms now and then

Not only are they rare, they also tend to be run in Friends Only or Group Mode. 

To prevent random people wandering in and disrupting the RP. 

Last open RP room with an attempt at a narrative that I know of was Slutmoore Extra Credit. 

But they shut down due to the owners burning out. 
Still miss that place. 

On 11/1/2021 at 12:18 PM, AndroidGirl said:

Things have certainly gotten worse. I believe RP was best when the lockdowns were most intense, when people played regularly, and you could do complex story lines with multiple people and be fairly confident you will be able to get the same people together and continue the story soon.

Now everyone is more busy, so you better stick to simpler one off scenes, since you aren't sure when you would see the person again

another thing is, i still meet very good roleplayers now and then, but unfortunately people who are good at RP tend to not be online very often; i guess it is understandable, more interesting people probably have more things to do in real life. not that i would know, of course :)

and, of course, most rooms that have RP in the name are merely a suggestion. It is more like the owner says: i built a room with a certain RP scenario in mind, and i'd like you to find people to RP with and use the room. you're welcome

But, since you can't really attach a room description/rules to a room (you can make a forum page, but who ever reads those?), the players have to guess what the owner had in mind; also, finding a partner who can RP takes a bit of luck

Also, if you think you are good at RP, maybe you could run a guided RP room yourself? i would appreciate the effort :)

AG!  I forget the name of your spaceport rest stop, but what an awesome theme and place you hosted!  Although unable to fully immerse my character into your place due to my pitiful knowledge of sci-fi, you and your staff always welcomed me warmly.  One of the memorable places in 3DX for me!

I agree.  It does take time and energy to form a role, let alone a world, and fully bring a character fully to life within a particular RP.  It can happen and when it does, wildly entertaining!  Time being in such short supply, it is challenging. 

2 hours ago, JackPine said:

I agree.  It does take time and energy to form a role, let alone a world, and fully bring a character fully to life within a particular RP.  It can happen and when it does, wildly entertaining!  Time being in such short supply, it is challenging. 

There’s a simple thing to save time on the immersion part. Just Roleplay yourself.

Instead of having to work out a background or likes for the character, you just have to think up a ‘why is he here?’

In AG’s Coriolis Bar. You could just be Jack the space tourist. Or something.  

6 hours ago, Derai said:

There’s a simple thing to save time on the immersion part. Just Roleplay yourself.

Instead of having to work out a background or likes for the character, you just have to think up a ‘why is he here?’

In AG’s Coriolis Bar. You could just be Jack the space tourist. Or something.  

Corilois Bar!  Yes, I miss their ale. 🍺  Among other things. 😉

Dee, ya' know me well.  That's exactly the part I played, and it served me well. 🙂  I found some of the other characters so interesting though, and can see getting outside yourself being real fun.  Time though.  Always that time thing. 

Coriolis bar worked great when people played regularly and you could start complex story lines with multiple people being fairly confident you can get them together to continue the story soon enough. Now with everyone being busy in RL it doesn't really work. The last month of Coriolis was not fun at all

Now we live in an age of simpler RP formats, unfortunately

40 minutes ago, AndroidGirl said:

Coriolis bar worked great when people played regularly and you could start complex story lines with multiple people being fairly confident you can get them together to continue the story soon enough. Now with everyone being busy in RL it doesn't really work. The last month of Coriolis was not fun at all

Now we live in an age of simpler RP formats, unfortunately

It was fun while it lasted.  Thanks for the escape from the cares of the day, AG.

There's Pattaya City that is trying to get started and needs help. Sadly, so many "RP" rooms have turned into meet and phux that the RP is dying. In my alt I will approach people who say they want to RP, I have my profile scenario but I also say I am open to theirs and they are not interested. So, saying RP and meaning RP are 2 totally different things.

RP isn't ALL about sex and shouldn't be. 3dx there sadly isn't much to do sex and dance and that's it. BUT IF we build a nice RP community we could do better and bring in more people and keep them.