3DXChat Community

Do Not Disturb Mode and Friend Online Notification

@Gizmo

Here is a suggestion. 

DND mode.

So when we're online, we can put ourselves into DND mode so that we look like we're offline. Particularly if we are being intimate with someone. So if someone send us a message, they will still get the "person is offline" message. And we wont' get the notification until we go back to ONLINE STATUS. Sure we can turn off the notifications in the settings but a lot of times we forget to turn them back on and then people think we're ignoring them and it's just annoying. Or if we're in build mode and don't want to be bothered, instead of turning off our wifi or our hardwired connection to the internet until we get red disconnected box and just moving it out of the way while building so we're not bothered...DND mode, again, would be great. Again, me as builder, constantly having to move the red box around, is annoying. 

Friend Online Notification

It would be fantastic if we could get an audible notification letting us know when someone in our friends list signed on. Like ping or ding or some other sound. 

Other 3D social platforms that many of us have used in the past have these two features and they work really well. Just something to consider. 

Maybe a better alternative to the Friends Online thing is a Last Online field in an avatars profile.  Effectively displaying the last date they were online.  That way you can know if they have actually been around or if they haven't logged in for months.  Optionally with a status of Online Now if they are.

But I really don't want to be pinged every time someone logs on.  IMO this should all be Avatar Profile level stuff:

• An Online/Offline indicator
  • DND (Do Not Distrub) mode
  • And a Last Online timestamp listing date only

2 hours ago, Rhonda Morrigan said:

Maybe a better alternative to the Friends Online thing is a Last Online field in an avatars profile.  Effectively displaying the last date they were online.  That way you can know if they have actually been around or if they haven't logged in for months.  Optionally with a status of Online Now if they are.

But I really don't want to be pinged every time someone logs on.  IMO this should all be Avatar Profile level stuff:

• An Online/Offline indicator
  • DND (Do Not Distrub) mode
  • And a Last Online timestamp listing date only

Personally I do not wish to have a last online timestamp.  It is no-one's business except my own when I was last online and there are occasions when I pop online literally for just a few seconds. I can imagine the drama created by people saying "I have evidence that you logged on but didn't talk to me".  No thanks.

14 minutes ago, Leopardus said:

Personally I do not wish to have a last online timestamp.  It is no-one's business except my own when I was last online and there are occasions when I pop online literally for just a few seconds. I can imagine the drama created by people saying "I have evidence that you logged on but didn't talk to me".  No thanks.

I agree. I don't mind if this feature will be in game as an option, but only as an option. I don't want to be forced into anything. Neither I want to be stalked. 

I think both options could be interesting for users. But -as mentioned before about the pro's and cons of this feature- something like this requires additional settings management in my eyes. So every user can decide to receive these 'friend online notifications' or not. But also every user should be able to decide if he allows the system to send these 'friend online notification' or don't want to send them for -let's say- privacy reasons.

This might not be necessary for the DND-mode. For DND there are several options how to handle that. I can imagine that the system accepts messages from a sender when the recipient is on DND. I also can imagine that messages sent to a DND are just returning a 'recipient not available' to the sender. For the recipient there are also some options on how to manage this messages. They can be send directly to the recipient without giving any accoustic or visual notification unless the user changes the status again to available. It could also be possible that these messages are just not delivered to the recipient at all until the user is available again.

If the messages are delivered 'silently' this requires something like a mailbox system maybe. Such a mailbox-system is already existing, but in a very simple way. This might be enough for most occasions, since these message are delivered automatically when the related Avatar logs in again. But in case you are logging out again without reading these messages, they got lost and can't be recovered again.

And -when thinking about this DND-mode- I remember some early discussions where some users were thinking about an option to enable and disable an option to receive PM's generally or just from friends or maybe on an individual level. I like this idea really much tbh. Some people are just generally talking public. Some are annoyed -mainly women I guess- to be 'bombed' with PM's in some rooms and occasions. And also for such a functionality there are plenty of variations and things to be considered and how to design a solution for it. If decided to add this feature.

Nevertheless, I think any of these options/features will add a certain grade of complexity to the system. This can cost also performance, depending on the way how such a feature might be implemented. I still would love to have all these features somehow. But I'm sure we will not get these features soon, nor all of them or maybe not all.

• 2 weeks later...

The DND mode would be a nice addition. 

Personally I think I’m against the Online notifications for the reasons others have outlined before. 

That said, personally I would not mind if my friends list had the option for me to automatically show what room I’m in. 

But that would have to be an option people can toggle on for themselves. Not something forced. 

🇫🇷 Bonsoir

Je ne suis pas pour le mode "offlline." Un mode AFK ou BRB pourquoi pas. DND aussi ça marcherait bien.
Le fait de se mettre AFK avec la possibilité de laisser un message d'annonce automatique, que l'on configure sois-même, à celui qui t'écris, comme par exemple : "Bonjour je suis occupé dans le World Editor." Ce genres de choses c'est bien. C'est pratique.

La notification visuelle et/ou sonor lorsqu'un contact de sa friends list se connecte c'est bien aussi.
Ce sont des choses qui existent déjà dans d'autres plateformes, comme RLC.

🇺🇸 Good evening

I'm not for the "offlline" mode. An AFK or BRB mode why not. DND would also work well.
The fact of putting yourself in AFK mode with the possibility of leaving an automatic announcement message, that you configure yourself, to the person who writes to you, like for example: "Hello I am busy in the World Editor." That kind of thing is good. It's convenient.

The visual and/or sound notification when a contact from your friends list connects is also good.
These are things that already exist in other platforms, like RLC.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Edited by Khallum Troy

On 10/8/2021 at 5:46 AM, Mara Winterhyde said:

@Gizmo

Here is a suggestion. 

DND mode.

So when we're online, we can put ourselves into DND mode so that we look like we're offline. Particularly if we are being intimate with someone. So if someone send us a message, they will still get the "person is offline" message. And we wont' get the notification until we go back to ONLINE STATUS. Sure we can turn off the notifications in the settings but a lot of times we forget to turn them back on and then people think we're ignoring them and it's just annoying. Or if we're in build mode and don't want to be bothered, instead of turning off our wifi or our hardwired connection to the internet until we get red disconnected box and just moving it out of the way while building so we're not bothered...DND mode, again, would be great. Again, me as builder, constantly having to move the red box around, is annoying. 

Friend Online Notification

It would be fantastic if we could get an audible notification letting us know when someone in our friends list signed on. Like ping or ding or some other sound. 

Other 3D social platforms that many of us have used in the past have these two features and they work really well. Just something to consider. 

This is a PERFECT SUGGESTION!!!! I truly hope it will be be considered and realized asap. THe users will be glad for this.

• 1 year later...

10 years after release. It's getting late.

Edit: When it comes to privacy it should get a bit more attention but who am i to point at that.🤷‍♀️
Its pretty annoying when you wanna have fun and suddenly a bunch of messages wanna show you the middle finger.
Sometimes i would love to throw everybody out of list.
Another solution would be that you let me create unlimited avatars so every person has a own slot (just kidding but the thought is funny)

For me at least a high priority wish which should earn a way more attention by users and devs but.. like i said.. who am i.🤷‍♀️

Edited by Janet

On 11/5/2021 at 8:23 PM, Khallum Troy said:

🇫🇷 Bonsoir

Je ne suis pas pour le mode "offlline." Un mode AFK ou BRB pourquoi pas. DND aussi ça marcherait bien.
Le fait de se mettre AFK avec la possibilité de laisser un message d'annonce automatique, que l'on configure sois-même, à celui qui t'écris, comme par exemple : "Bonjour je suis occupé dans le World Editor." Ce genres de choses c'est bien. C'est pratique.

La notification visuelle et/ou sonor lorsqu'un contact de sa friends list se connecte c'est bien aussi.
Ce sont des choses qui existent déjà dans d'autres plateformes, comme RLC.

🇺🇸 Good evening

I'm not for the "offlline" mode. An AFK or BRB mode why not. DND would also work well.
The fact of putting yourself in AFK mode with the possibility of leaving an automatic announcement message, that you configure yourself, to the person who writes to you, like for example: "Hello I am busy in the World Editor." That kind of thing is good. It's convenient.

The visual and/or sound notification when a contact from your friends list connects is also good.
These are things that already exist in other platforms, like RLC.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

I would love to hear your thoughts why you don't wanna have an offline mode. I mean ,i don't care at all as long as i don't get disturbed but i am curious :)

7 hours ago, Janet said:

I would love to hear your thoughts why you don't wanna have an offline mode. I mean ,i don't care at all as long as i don't get disturbed but i am curious :)

🇫🇷 Parce que les gens mentent. C'est bête, mais les gens mentent. Alors ils ont le droit de mentir. Mais le mensonge est ce qui fait des histoires dramatiques.
Tu peux savoir, ou te douter, que ton ou ta partenaire était en ligne. Quand tu lui en parles, ou la personne va te dire la vérité, ou la personne va te mentir éhontément. Parfois, parce qu'il y a une raison, parfois, sans raison. Et avec un mode offline, la personne peut te dire : "non j'étais pas là", alors que si.
Expérience vécue sur une autre plateforme. Si vous aimez les dramas, c'est l'un des meilleurs moyens d'en avoir.

🇺🇸 Because people lie. It's silly, but people lie. So they have the right to lie. But lying is what makes for dramatic stories.
You may know, or suspect, that your partner was online. When you tell him or her about it, either the person will tell you the truth, or the person will blatantly lie to you. Sometimes because there is a reason, sometimes for no reason. And with an offline mode, the person can tell you: "no I wasn't there", when in fact he or she was.
Experience on another platform. If you like dramas, this is one of the best ways to get them.

3 hours ago, Khallum Troy said:

🇫🇷 Parce que les gens mentent. C'est bête, mais les gens mentent. Alors ils ont le droit de mentir. Mais le mensonge est ce qui fait des histoires dramatiques.
Tu peux savoir, ou te douter, que ton ou ta partenaire était en ligne. Quand tu lui en parles, ou la personne va te dire la vérité, ou la personne va te mentir éhontément. Parfois, parce qu'il y a une raison, parfois, sans raison. Et avec un mode offline, la personne peut te dire : "non j'étais pas là", alors que si.
Expérience vécue sur une autre plateforme. Si vous aimez les dramas, c'est l'un des meilleurs moyens d'en avoir.

🇺🇸 Because people lie. It's silly, but people lie. So they have the right to lie. But lying is what makes for dramatic stories.
You may know, or suspect, that your partner was online. When you tell him or her about it, either the person will tell you the truth, or the person will blatantly lie to you. Sometimes because there is a reason, sometimes for no reason. And with an offline mode, the person can tell you: "no I wasn't there", when in fact he or she was.
Experience on another platform. If you like dramas, this is one of the best ways to get them.

Thank you for answering.
Hmm, interesting thought.

I am not sure but... does the problem doesn't start a long time earlier?
I mean, what you describe seem to be trusting issues, but in my oppinion, this wouldn't make any difference at all, because they can cheat and lie at you also "right now" with the current system, which is not much more difficult. They simply go a different way.
They do an another avatar to stay offline for you.

But to be honest... just because a tool is given, that wouldn't change the personality of a person itself. (And when the lack of trusts rises just because a tool is given,  then that has no future at all anyway and is cursed from beginning because the base of trust and respect is not given)
When i would get a second gun, i wouldn't shot my husband, just because i received an another one. (extreme example but i hope it does the job)
When this person has such a personality and tendends to lie, this person will do it soon or later anyway "for sure".(or... most likely...is doing it already)
That relation will crash anyway anyhow.
When that does not happen with that kind of drama, then, for sure, that will find another way.
So the drama appears so or so, just in a different way (Guaranteed). The only question is...when.
That has nothing to do with the system itself, it has to do with a lack of trust and scareness to talk about your feels and needs, or maybe, because this person simply loves to cheat but... it doesn't matters what reason is behind of all that. It all will end, soon or later, in a big bang. (the earlier the better)
(And lies always have reasons, at least i don't know anybody which does lie without a reason.)
And when the reason really is "i lie just for fun" then... that should end as soon as possible.

But to make it short:
When you wanna avoid drama with holding tools back, that won't work for long and in most cases, that will end up even more worse at the end. (At least my personal experience)
In my opinion it doesn't matter at all if they cheat over a second avatar or over an offline mode. They cheat nevertheless. and when they dont cheat in 3dx, there are million other ways.
But that is only my point of view to that. :)

Edited by Janet
Added: When i would get a second gun, i wouldn't shot my husband, just because i received an another one.

So you want to be hidden, but you want the game to tell you when the person you stalk is online? WTF?

NO

If you want to look like offline, you should not be able to know who is online in your friend list.
If you dont want to have contact with someone, remove it from your friend list.

Don't ask stuff a creepy stalker would be proud of having.

I don't like this idea.

15 hours ago, Alys said:

So you want to be hidden, but you want the game to tell you when the person you stalk is online? WTF?

NO

If you want to look like offline, you should not be able to know who is online in your friend list.
If you dont want to have contact with someone, remove it from your friend list.

Don't ask stuff a creepy stalker would be proud of having.

I don't like this idea.

Hello :)

Well, that kind of thought sounds very "oof" and is very understandable that you feel very... creepy when you think about that like this.
My personal oppinion about receiving online notifiction when someone goes online is a clear NO, too (but i don't like that in gerneral, not only in 3dx, because that is absolutly no ones buisness at all, the same with timestamps of the last online time)

But that has nothing to do with that kind of thought. because for me it totaly doesn't matter "how" people can stalk you at the end. As long as "you" appear as online and are able to get in contact, this thought will stay consistent.
It will only help to avoid that kind of thought when "you"...

Hold your friendlist clean. (Kick out every potental stalker)
Rise your ignore list.
You don't seem to exist for that person (That you stay offline)
And the last: Do reports when you feel like it drives too far.

Because you can do something against the behavior of people, but when it comes to their thoughts, sorry, but there you are helpless.
There just helps to be strict.

So yeah, at the end that doesn't makes very much sense at least "for me" to count that as an useful "i don't wanna have an offlinemode because of" argument.
The only sense i see is when it comes to the notifications.

And on top of it: keep others back to stay "hidden/ offline"  which make them feel save, is also an welcome invitation for every stalker and i would say, it is much "more" creepy at the end.

Edit: Sorry when i maybe got the context wrong, but there were no  quote, so i explained my thoughts behind all that a way more detailed.

Edited by Janet

My issue is that I go to all the time and trouble to create an AFK, DND or 'busy' pic and then set it as my profile pic. The problem is that people don't always look at profiles when they are messaging a friend or acquaintance so a few mins after the initial "hi" message I get a passive aggressive one followed shortly afterwards by one  asking if I am ignoring them and then the drama starts.
I can then either stop my building work which I don't wanna do if I'm in the middle of something (I'm not a great builder and I have to concentrate) or come back from wherever I am to explain to them that I was actually AFK, or, if I'm having sex I have to change my focus from the person to whom it should be on to the person who just messaged me.
If they could receive a message saying I'm busy or whatever when they message me that could save a lot of the drama. Surely it wouldn't be that hard, you already get a message if the person you are messaging is offline so they could tap into that system just giving the busy person maybe 2 or 3 options for an automated reply. I'm not a technical person but RLC has the function to actually set and send your own AFK (out of office type) messages, if they can do it surely 3DX can.

The notify when a friend comes online idea is not something I personally want, for me it would cause too much drama and too many unwanted pm's and would drive me mad if it pinged every time one of my friends came online. However if it came with the functionality to be turned off both by the arriving and existing user then I wouldn't be opposed to it.

Appearing offline is also something I don't care about either way but to all those who complain it would help people to cheat I have news for you, they are already cheating. If you don't already trust your partner/husband/wife then they shouldn't be your partner/husband/wife. You cannot not introduce something or ban something that many people want just because some people would use that function not for illegal but for immoral reasons.

7 minutes ago, AliceEmilyM said:

My issue is that I go to all the time and trouble to create an AFK, DND or 'busy' pic and then set it as my profile pic. The problem is that people don't always look at profiles when they are messaging a friend or acquaintance so a few mins after the initial "hi" message I get a passive aggressive one followed shortly afterwards by one  asking if I am ignoring them and then the drama starts.
I can then either stop my building work which I don't wanna do if I'm in the middle of something (I'm not a great builder and I have to concentrate) or come back from wherever I am to explain to them that I was actually AFK, or, if I'm having sex I have to change my focus from the person to whom it should be on to the person who just messaged me.
If they could receive a message saying I'm busy or whatever when they message me that could save a lot of the drama. Surely it wouldn't be that hard, you already get a message if the person you are messaging is offline so they could tap into that system just giving the busy person maybe 2 or 3 options for an automated reply. I'm not a technical person but RLC has the function to actually set and send your own AFK (out of office type) messages, if they can do it surely 3DX can.

The notify when a friend comes online idea is not something I personally want, for me it would cause too much drama and too many unwanted pm's and would drive me mad if it pinged every time one of my friends came online. However if it came with the functionality to be turned off both by the arriving and existing user then I wouldn't be opposed to it.

Appearing offline is also something I don't care about either way but to all those who complain it would help people to cheat I have news for you, they are already cheating. If you don't already trust your partner/husband/wife then they shouldn't be your partner/husband/wife. You cannot not introduce something or ban something that many people want just because some people would use that function not for illegal but for immoral reasons.

This has my full support, nothing more to say.

🇫🇷 Les notifications lorsque quelqu'un est ligne bon... Ce n'est pas bien grave.
Comme je l'ai dit ailleurs, je navigue entre deux plateformes, donc je peux comparer certaines choses. C'est bien pour se faire des idées sur ce qui est bien, ou moins bien, en terme d'expérience utilisateur personnelle. Ainsi, on peut avoir un avis plus global et objectif.
Sur RLC, c'est une fonctionnalité qui existait déjà. Quand vous avez un contact de votre liste d'amis, vous voyez un message inscrit en vert dans le chat local, qui dit quand cette personne se connecte et en jaune clair, quand la personne se déconnecte.
Les mêmes messages, apparaissent sur votre écran aussi, en haut, pendant quelques secondes et disparait. Ils ont ajouté un signal sonore en plus.
Ce n'est pas plus gênant. Je ne pense pas que ça veut dire suivre ou harceler les contacts. Bon. On s'y habitue. Et puis ce n'est pas parce que quelqu'un se met en ligne que vous allez lui sauter dessus. Sauf si vous devez parler à cette personne.
Personnellement, cela ne me dérange pas plus que ça.

Concernant le mode offline, comme l'a dit Janet, d'une certaine façon tu as entièrement raison, quand tu dis, que cela peut déjà se faire avec le mode actuel. C'est vrai. Je suis d'accord avec toi. En effet, entre les partenaires tout est aussi une question de confiance c'est vrai aussi. Sur ça je suis d'accord.

Cependant, je ne suis pas trop d'accord. La seule chose pour laquelle je vois une utilité, c'est pour les buildeurs. Quand tu es occupé et que tu ne veux pas être déranger pendant que tu builds. Là ça peut être gênant d'avoir plein de personnes qui te pm, alors que tu ne peux pas forcément avoir ta fenêtre de conversation ouverte.
Mais je pense toujours que ça peut engendrer encore plus de mauvaises attitudes. Si je puis dire. Mais après bon... Effectivement, cela ne va pas entraîner la tromperie, puisque ça existe déjà, mais je pense que ça va encore plus la favoriser. C'est juste mon avis. ;)

🇺🇸 Notifications when someone is online good... It's not a big deal.
As I said elsewhere, I browse between two platforms, so I can compare some things. It's good to get ideas about what's good, or not so good, in terms of personal user experience. That way, you can get a more holistic and objective opinion.
On RLC, this is a feature that already existed. When you have a contact from your friends list, you see a message in green in the local chat, which says when that person connects and in light yellow, when the person disconnects.
The same messages, appear on your screen too, at the top, for a few seconds and then disappear. They added a beeper as well.
It is not more annoying. I don't think it means tracking or stalking contacts. Right. You get used to it. And just because someone gets online doesn't mean you're going to jump on them. Unless you have to talk to that person.
Personally, it doesn't bother me that much.

Regarding the offline mode, as Janet said, in a way you're absolutely right, when you say, that it can already be done with the current mode. That's true. I agree with you. Indeed, between the partners it is also a question of trust. On that I agree.

However, I don't really agree. The only thing I can see a use for is for buildup. When you are busy and don't want to be disturbed while you are building. There it can be annoying to have a lot of people pm you, when you can't necessarily have your conversation window open.
But I still think it can lead to even more bad attitudes. If I may say so. But then again... I mean, it's not going to lead to deception, because it's already there, but I think it's going to encourage it even more. That's just my opinion. ;)

As i readed on an other topic that a good debat is a good debat, i am very glad to have one here. It's cool that we can agree on some things. Some others can't do that without balling fists. The more point of views about that kind of topic, the better.

@Khallum Troy

This system what you explained (RLC) would bother me a lot, (As long as i can not turn it off for myself and make it running that the other people also don't receive any notification about me) because that is not the buisness of others to deal with that information about me. But i think that point was clear earlier (sometimes i am a bit to chatty, sorry:))

For me a good working "Do Not Disturb" system would be more than enough. I could also imagine myself a kind of "whitelist" where i could add people which can write to me freely, also, when i have the "DND" mode activated. I just don't wanna have the popup message on the chatwindow which appears, when someone writes to you, because even when i know that the person which sends the message will probaly be able to understand that i am busy, there is nevertheless the factor that the message is still there, which will animate me to have a look on it, which does throw me out of concept (playing or building, doesn't matter)

I have to say that such a mode for me is at least a big need, because i am on a point where i dont really enjoy the game anymore, because everyone writes a message when i appear. I mean, that is nice and friendly, but sometimes i wanna just have contact to a certain person and that in quiet. And that is not given anymore without the thought of being rude/ careless. That's why i wasn't online for a while now because it feels like everybody wants my attention. That is sometimes nice but too much is too much. I am here to relax and not to please everybody.

So yeah soon or later i will quit the game or will do another avatar to feel free again. (probably quit, because i don't wanna get forced to do another avi which animates some people to do drama)
That's why i try to keep that topic alive because i don't really wanna leave, but when the fun sinks what should i do.
It only can get better when i talk about it and try to change something, also when i don't have much hopes that the people behind the game will care at all.
I mean...the game is 10 years old, this alone says alot that the priority is not on privacy.
(Which i personally find a bit sad, because the focus in this game is on sex, where privacy should have much higher attention, but who am i... to point at that)
But at least i can say, i tried :)

Edited by Janet