3DXChat Community

Explanation for all these random server crashes/reboots?

Tauri

So lately there have been a whole lot of server crashes, and yes it is crashes since everyone seem to get booted everytime it happens... So i was wondering if the devs would care to explain whats going on so we dont have to sit here and guess whats going on, which is getting us nowhere.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT:

To the ones that dont get their friendslist showing anything when logging in, just give it a few minutes or relog, should fix it.... its not gone :)

You guys do understand that the server downtown here is far less then in many other places. I am actually shocked it isnt down more. want a partial explanation?  i'll give you  a hint......   glowy people, tables on top of tables in rooms

You guys do understand that the server downtown here is far less then in many other places. I am actually shocked it isnt down more. want a partial explanation?  i'll give you  a hint......   glowy people, tables on top of tables in rooms

i don't think that influences server stability..well it's a sporadic event and happened for about 15 mins, i would not give it all this importance.

Are you really going to say VALUES that are changed into other VALUES that are often the same length make a powerufl server fall to its knees and crash? thats just nonsense

Are you really going to say VALUES that are changed into other VALUES that are often the same length make a powerufl server fall to its knees and crash? thats just nonsense

If you think it has nothing to do with server stabilty, I would suggest reading up on the subject.  I can provide links to helpful resources if you prefer. 

I would like to read those

but either way, its still just values that the server feeds the client so it can render it out, should in no case be an issue

some people have modified their houses to two stories using tables, like hundreds of tables, this affects my game to the point where if I go there, it is impossible to move, due to the lag,

so if there are ten people doing that sort of stuff ..............................

just sayin

just so im clear. i said partial explanation. not the only reason and i certainly dont want to bicker about it. Just throwing it out there

I would like to read those

but either way, its still just values that the server feeds the client so it can render it out, should in no case be an issue

Well, we don't know really.

The reason CE work it because the 3dxchat server trust too much the game client and there few value validation coming from the game server. The server should allow out of range value from the game client and even more to replicate them to the other players.

The game server in no way should trust the game client that much. It might seen harmless when it come to color range or placement... but it important to ask the question... what else the game client can send to the server that it will trust without making sure the value won't have a negative impact ? If the game server doesn't verified throughtly the values coming from the client, what else can be done and what windows it can open to exploited or even bugs.

I got nothing again CE really, but it bring a lot of questions about the game architecture and why does the client can fool the game so easily to display values he shouldn't. 

Well, I just find that it a interesting question on the technical side. 

I know everyone hates the boots but for us to grow these are things that will happen the Dev are working to make thing better , give us some of the things we ask for, and in doing so we get Booted they have to test, and the game is 24/7 so just give them a little break, I may not like being booted , but if there was No 3Dxchat Would be so unHappy

some people have modified their houses to two stories using tables, like hundreds of tables, this affects my game to the point where if I go there, it is impossible to move, due to the lag,

so if there are ten people doing that sort of stuff ..............................

just sayin

Just because your game lags Erika does not mean the server has a hard time handling it... Server wise all it sees are some values that it passes on for your game to render out, so the lag is on your end, not the servers. A server is made to process and handle said numbers and values effectively, so no, place a thousand tables in an apartment and the server should still run fine

Well, we don't know really.

The reason CE work it because the 3dxchat server trust too much the game client and there few value validation coming from the game server. The server should allow out of range value from the game client and even more to replicate them to the other players.

The game server in no way should trust the game client that much. It might seen harmless when it come to color range or placement... but it important to ask the question... what else the game client can send to the server that it will trust without making sure the value won't have a negative impact ? If the game server doesn't verified throughtly the values coming from the client, what else can be done and what windows it can open to exploited or even bugs.

I got nothing again CE really, but it bring a lot of questions about the game architecture and why does the client can fool the game so easily to display values he shouldn't. 

Well, I just find that it a interesting question on the technical side. 

I completly agree that the game and server accept values far too loosely, there should be some limits on what it will accept and what it wont, but in this discussion we are talking about avatar color changes and placing objects in places they shouldnt normally be able to be in, and THAT should not affect server performance... if there is something else out there that can affect it through the use of CE, that is possible for sure.

just sayin

Yeah i don't believe it stresses the server any more than two seperate rooms :) Rooms still have an item limit of 350.

And like Skar suggested I'm sure there are things any player could do to harm the server.. 

triple facepalm >.>

I completly agree that the game and server accept values far too loosely, there should be some limits on what it will accept and what it wont, but in this discussion we are talking about avatar color changes and placing objects in places they shouldnt normally be able to be in, and THAT should not affect server performance... if there is something else out there that can affect it through the use of CE, that is possible for sure.

when i said glowy people and rooms with tables i didnt actually mean those two things. I was talking about the CE. But i was told by someone in the know that you couldnt discuss the actual CE in forums without getting thread deleted, etc

when i said glowy people and rooms with tables i didnt actually mean those two things. I was talking about the CE. But i was told by someone in the know that you couldnt discuss the actual CE in forums without getting thread deleted, etc

I have no idea about that, but yes im sure there are some ways if you go really far out that would affect the server in some way, minor or major... idk, but for sure simple color change and furtinure mods dont do that