3DXChat Community

An appeal to the devs for more glass options in the room editor.

Problem: The glass reflection is too extreme. That said, sometimes it works, depends on what you are building. However, any brightly colored room is going to have very bright reflections off the glass, making it difficult to see past, especially if the outside is dark. I realize this is what happens in real life, but in real life the reflections are much more dynamic than what can be achieved in the scope of 3dx.  

Proposed Solution: PLEASE include an additional material for "Glass: Minimal Reflection", where the reflection off the glass is drastically reduced but still visible.

There may be some reason that makes it more difficult than it sounds, but I'm hoping that the opposite is true and that this addition would be relatively trivial.

Thanks! ❤️

Edited by AmyTrubblemaker

The problem comes from screen space reflection. Although even that doesn't work well on the reflective surfaces of the game, since objects aren't rendered correctly on the surface, so only local light sources are rendered. Basically any reflection is simply a duplication of local light you have at any given time on your screen, applied to the reflective surface.

Those effects we apply to objects are reflected on the glass also like light sources, and not as objects. (blinking lights on objects make windows light up in ugly ways)

You are also decorating your build with invisible light sources for better ambience and visibility. Try to make sure, you don't put those close to the windows, because the local invisible light will be duplicated also on the surface of the window causing that effect. Place those a bit further away or above, so these invisible lights don't fall in your camera space whenever you walk close to that window. The game has really basic reflection, so we have to work around it. I doubt that stuff like Ray Tracing will ever be part of this game

So far the bottle glass has a weird sort of screen space reflection, where the objects are also reflected, and the glass doesn't shine up on the entire surface, but looks weird since it also duplicates it's own self on the surface of the glass. Well, some people made use of this awkward effect for artistic purposes in the game and looked really interesting.

So not the reflection itself is aggressive here. it simply doesn't work correctly. Only light is reflected and spread along the surface, and not the objects in front of it.

There are many deficiencies we have in the builder. Light shining through walls, local light doesn't cast shadows, reflection doesn't work correctly. You take a walk at Saloon for example, it looks so much better. local lights dynamically cast shadows, the mirror has a good reflection, windows have reflection applied more correctly.

Edited by Tsela

well in any case. Until then we can share some ways to work around it. I was experimenting with a few measures like for example placing the invisible light in the builder inside a wall or another object, so it isn't captured by my screen space on it's own, and applied on the surface of the window. Objects don't have light collision for the invisible light so it shines right through. But the object itself isn't reflected. Sometimes I masked blinking light effects too from a certain camera position

Edited by Tsela

• 7 months later...

Ich denke auch, dass es Glas ohne Reflexionen geben sollte. Weil es voll betont, dass ständig itgenwar unkontrolliert irgenwas reflektiert. Es stört mich wirklich so sehr, dass ich jetzt eine große Schleife um normales Glas mache. Bauer eigentlich nur mit Blurglass.aber da nerft it me irgenwo auch, dass alles ständig verschwommen ist. Letze Alternative ist nur Flaschenglas und hier ist es interessant. Wenn Sie in der Nähe des Flaschenglases stehen, ist es wie normales Glas. nur ohne Reflexionen und die Möglichkeit es super zu färben. Eigentlich eine gute Alternative, wäre diese verpeilte Bothleglas effeckt nicht. BÄHHHHHHH ist das Hässliche, wirlich nicht zu ertragen. Es wäre so einfach. Blurglass, ohne den Blur Effeckt. Aber wirklich, bitte normales Glas ohne Reflexionen einführen. dadurch würden sich wirklich super neue Baumöglichkeiten ergeben und wären sicherlich auch etwas leistungsfreundlicher. :)

I also think that there should be glass without reflections. Because it stresses full that constantly itgenwas uncontrolled irgenwas reflected. It really bothers me so much that I now make a big bow around normalglass at. Bauer actually only with Blurglass.aber da nerft it me irgenwo also that everything is constantly blurred. Letze alternative is only bottle glass and here it is interesant. if you stand close to the botle glass it is like normal glass. only without reflections and the possibility it super to color. Actually a good alternative, would not this verpeilte bothleglas effeckt. BÄHHHHHHH is the ugly, wirlich not to endure. It would be so easy. Blurglass, without the blur effeckt. But really, please introduce normal glass without reflections. this would really super new construction possibilities arise and would certainly also be somewhat more performance friendly.  sorry for the doublepost fck auto translate sorry.

On 2/12/2022 at 4:45 PM, TruthHides said:

I also think that there should be glass without reflections. Because it stresses full that constantly itgenwas uncontrolled irgenwas reflected. It really bothers me so much that I now make a big bow around normalglass at. Bauer actually only with Blurglass.aber da nerft it me irgenwo also that everything is constantly blurred. Letze alternative is only bottle glass and here it is interesant. if you stand close to the botle glass it is like normal glass. only without reflections and the possibility it super to color. Actually a good alternative, would not this verpeilte bothleglas effeckt. BÄHHHHHHH is the ugly, wirlich not to endure. It would be so easy. Blurglass, without the blur effeckt. But really, please introduce normal glass without reflections. this would really super new construction possibilities arise and would certainly also be somewhat more performance friendly.  sorry for the doublepost fck auto translate sorry.

EVERY glass in 3dx has reflections. Bottle glass as well. It will not be a glass without reflections. You can simply test it in the world editor. 

7 hours ago, ☙𝔼𝕩❧ said:

EVERY glass in 3dx has reflections. Bottle glass as well. It will not be a glass without reflections. You can simply test it in the world editor. 

Think he was aware of that and asking like some of us done before to have reflection less glass which should be possible, since it's basically transparency texture. Also whole reflection to me seems kind of redundant since reflections on surface including the mirror one is horrid, compared to the glasses you can wear just as one example.

Would even be possible RL without reflection, since scientist figure out a way to make wood transparent.

https://www.usda.gov/media/blog/2020/10/01/transparent-wood-could-be-window-future

Edited by TashaTight