3DXChat Community

****Streaming Audio Issues*** Resolved, kind of.

SerenityWillow

I am having trouble with setting up my private stream from my own server that is on my VPS that I rent for my web services.

I  am having an issue with the servers that I am using.

Shoutcast, Icecast & Rocket Streaming Audio Server, all free versions. I don't think there is any difference in the paid and free versions as I believe they work the same just the free versions have few limitations. Rocket server uses Icecast for the server code.

Shoutcast works ok but there is tremendous latency using it for a server - 20-35 seconds latency.

Icecast when it works is very fast as far as latency is concerned and very tolerable at 4-6 seconds latency.

rocket streaming audio server (rsas) works about the same as the Icecast server about 4-6 seconds.

I would like to use rsas or Icecast but the issue is a really weird one.

The 2 servers I believe is dropping the stream for just a millisecond, just enough to dc the listener and you have to go into your client settings and disable and re enable the radio quite often. I have tried all kinds of buffer settings on both the servers and the broadcasting software and just can't get rid of the dc issue.

I don't really know a lot about how Icecast works just what I have read on google.

Another thing that is happening and I am not sure if it is something to do with the previous issue I stated but once in a while the songs fast forward and I am not sure if it is on the server side or the 3dxchat client side.

I was just hoping maybe someone else was having the issue and had any recommendations for me, or if one of you genius streamers that know what they are doing could help I would be ever so grateful.

Software that I have tried just for info sake:

Encoders:

Winamp, Spotiamb, Mixxx, Proppfrexx (which works the best) VirtualDJ, RadioDJ & Foobar2000

Streaming Servers:

Shoutcast, Icecast, Rocket Streaming Audio Server & Spotiamb has it's own streaming server built into the app.

VPS Specifications:

Windows 2019 Data Center Edition

8 Core Xeon Processor

6Gb Ram

38Gb free HDD Space

SSD HDD

10GbE Ethernet

Unlimited Bandwidth

As you can see I have tried pretty much everything and all have the same issue so there must be some setting in the server software, or the VPS and I am at wits end as I can not determine which one is the culprit. Firewall and ports are not an issue as those are configured correctly to allow communications.

Update: Found out that 3DXChat only plays nice with Shoutcast V2 protocol.

My solution is as follows - use radioBOSS Advanced, it has the streaming sever built in. Configure the server to use Shoutcast V2 and it will work flawlessly with very little and completely tolerable latency. I have gotten it down to 4 seconds latency. This app can use Winamp DSP plugins as well.

Edited by SerenityWillow

• SerenityWillow changed the title to ****Streaming Audio Issues*** Resolved, kind of.
  • 4 weeks later...

Yep that is what I do with winamp, shoutcast DSP and it works perfectly on my stream server. also setting the bitrate of your audio should help with latency. not sure what your audio quality in bitrate is for your music but check to see if it isn't too high.