3DXChat Community

3dxChat on Parallels 16 / Mac M1

• 1 month later...

IMPORTANT! GAME WORKS WITH WINDOWS ARM ON PARALLELS DESKTOP 16.5 WITH MACBOOK M1.

ONLY SOME VISUAL BUGS MAYBE FOR THE DOUBLE EMULATION (PARALLELS + NATIVE MICROSOFT EMULATION FOR GAMES ON WINDOWS ARM).

IT WORKED WITH ME.

SOLUTION:  INSTALL ON A COMMON WINDOWS INTEL MACHINE AND THEN COPY THE GAME DIRECTORY C:\GAMES\3DXCHAT ON THE WINDOWS ARM COMPUTER.

IT WORKS!

SADLY THERE'RE SOME VISUAL BUGS BUT MAYBE THEY ARE ONLY ON PARALLES VIRTUALIZATION AND MAYBE NOT ON SURFACE PRO X FOR EXAMPLE

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/1/2021 at 10:12 PM, Levis said:

IMPORTANT! GAME WORKS WITH WINDOWS ARM ON PARALLELS DESKTOP 16.5 WITH MACBOOK M1.

ONLY SOME VISUAL BUGS MAYBE FOR THE DOUBLE EMULATION (PARALLELS + NATIVE MICROSOFT EMULATION FOR GAMES ON WINDOWS ARM).

IT WORKED WITH ME.

SOLUTION:  INSTALL ON A COMMON WINDOWS INTEL MACHINE AND THEN COPY THE GAME DIRECTORY C:\GAMES\3DXCHAT ON THE WINDOWS ARM COMPUTER.

IT WORKS!

SADLY THERE'RE SOME VISUAL BUGS BUT MAYBE THEY ARE ONLY ON PARALLES VIRTUALIZATION AND MAYBE NOT ON SURFACE PRO X FOR EXAMPLE

What kind of visual bugs are you talking about?

I'm getting some under Parallels in an Intel Mac.

https://3dxforum.com/index.php?/topic/13053-help-with-buildings-not-rendering-in-some-camera-angles/

• 4 months later...

Another option might be Wine 6.0.1 (use PlayOnMac or CrossOver for a more user-friendly wrapper for Wine). Wine now supports M1 Macs with Windows 64-bit Intel apps. I use my Windows PC for 3DX but did try it briefly and was able to open 3DXChat. I got to the 3DXChat login screen and then went to log on, but it hangs on the connecting screen. I also tried known apps in PlayOnMac and the installer got an error on the download section, so I am guessing there is a network issue and my firewall is blocking it or something rather than a 3DX issue.

3DXChat uses the Unity engine which in theory allows easy cross-platform. I would just like 3DXChat to provide an official Mac application (Apple Silicon and Intel versions - or at the very least an Intel Mac version that runs in Rosetta 2). And regarding ARM CPU's, now that Apple has made the transition from Intel to ARM, I am sure other companies are going to follow and Snapdragon, Samsung etc are going to start offering desktop-class ARM CPU's and system on a chips. Intel and AMD will probably become less relevant over time. The world's most powerful supercomputer is now ARM, by some distance and large data centres are also moving to ARM and most phones are becoming more powerful than the average laptop these days.

Edited by Mulan

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/16/2021 at 5:58 PM, Mulan said:

Another option might be Wine 6.0.1 (use PlayOnMac or CrossOver for a more user-friendly wrapper for Wine). Wine now supports M1 Macs with Windows 64-bit Intel apps. I use my Windows PC for 3DX but did try it briefly and was able to open 3DXChat. I got to the 3DXChat login screen and then went to log on, but it hangs on the connecting screen. I also tried known apps in PlayOnMac and the installer got an error on the download section, so I am guessing there is a network issue and my firewall is blocking it or something rather than a 3DX issue.

3DXChat uses the Unity engine which in theory allows easy cross-platform. I would just like 3DXChat to provide an official Mac application (Apple Silicon and Intel versions - or at the very least an Intel Mac version that runs in Rosetta 2). And regarding ARM CPU's, now that Apple has made the transition from Intel to ARM, I am sure other companies are going to follow and Snapdragon, Samsung etc are going to start offering desktop-class ARM CPU's and system on a chips. Intel and AMD will probably become less relevant over time. The world's most powerful supercomputer is now ARM, by some distance and large data centres are also moving to ARM and most phones are becoming more powerful than the average laptop these days.

These are good and valid comments. Many years ago I use to run 32bits 3DX with Wine (PoM) and it was rock solid. But it took ages to get it to work by installing and fine tuning plugins and other components. Years later and with more modern (Intel) Macs I wasn't able to achieve the same, but was trying with other versions of Wine. Never got it to work properly with the 64b client :(

Now I use Parallels or BootCamp. BootCamp is smoother and Parallels more convenient, but as the camera pans, some walls and house elements disappear!!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Final solution, but it costs a little!

I use Shadow streaming service on my m1 macbook and i love it.

I've a better graphic then a windows pc with high specs and if you have a modern internet connection there's no lag.

It's incredible! 

Search on google "Shadow Cloud Computing".

With this service you've a windows 10 virtual machine with top specs for gaming.

The only "problem" is the monthly cost

• 1 month later...
On 2/16/2022 at 3:11 PM, Maxive said:

Final solution, but it costs a little!

I use Shadow streaming service on my m1 macbook and i love it.

I've a better graphic then a windows pc with high specs and if you have a modern internet connection there's no lag.

It's incredible! 

Search on google "Shadow Cloud Computing".

With this service you've a windows 10 virtual machine with top specs for gaming.

The only "problem" is the monthly cost

I've tried Shadow and it does work well. I even used it on slow Wi-Fi at an AirBnB somewhere and it kept up pretty well. As you point out, $30 a month is expensive. However, if you have an old underpowered PC or a Mac then $30 a month is going to take a while to break even with a $1500 gaming PC. Plus Shadow will automatically update to the latest hardware and stay maintained over time.

Edited by Mulan