3DXChat Community

Gallery images | Price vs Quality

FutabaSakura

Henlo,

I'll get right to the point, I find the price for gallery slots compared to the quality images we can upload absolutely awful. Currently, I try to re-size my images to about 600-700 pixels in height in order to have a low quality image that's at least slightly clear. I understand that you don't want people to upload images that are 10+MB in size, but these image qualities are really terrible. My next gallery slot costs me about 38.000 gold which translates to roughly $50 (Getting the $25, $10,  $10, and $5 already brings up to 50 which is 37.000 gold) and it sounds crazy to me that it'll cost me $50 in order to upload an image that looks like it came from 1990.

Now for the more personal part, I love my characters. I've got custom art made for my 3dx character (you can find it at f-list.net/c/veronya/) which is already fairly expensive. Speaking of f-list, they allow you to upload an image that isn't larger than 2.000 pixels. I'm able to lower the file size to about 190 - 900 KB depending on the image height/width. To me, it sounds like a new gallery system should be put in place. One where you can click on the image, zoom in if you want to, and close the image when you're done looking. I'm no game developer so I won't go around screaming that this needs to be fixed now or that it's easy to do, it's a mere request. I'm currently having an artist work on comic/manga pages even though I'm aware that they won't be readable at all on the 3dx gallery. So I am forced to put my f-list link on my profile and hope that people will pay that a visit in order to see my custom art :<

I personally think that the whole profile system can get a massive overhaul, especially in terms of function. There's so much you can potentially add that'll help with some proper roleplay. The ability to fill out things about your character such as height, specific sizes, name prefixes, race, etc. I made another post a little while ago about a relationships tab where you can put some people into the spotlight that you appreciate, love, or anything else specific. Having all of this in other tabs will mean that it won't be forced down someone's throat, you create more free space so you can actually create a description/bio for your character, and you give people the ability to bring their character more to life. All of this combined with better looking galleries and image quality would make the profiles near perfect!

Hopefully this hasn't been discussed a hundred times already, but I felt the need to make a topic about it so... here it is o-o

Yes, the quality of images we get is straight up mocking considering how much xgold gallery slots cost. No need to decrease the quality of images if they are less than 1 mb. 99% avis don't have more than 10 slots. Is 10 mb of server space for every avi is too much pressure on a server? No, it's not! In reality - many avis, especially alts or just some thrown away avis of people who was playing the game for a month - don't have more than 4-6 slots. 

7 hours ago, FutabaSakura said:

I made another post a little while ago about a relationships tab where you can put some people into the spotlight that you appreciate, love, or anything else specific. Having all of this in other tabs will mean that it won't be forced down someone's throat, you create more free space so you can actually create a description/bio for your character, and you give people the ability to bring their character more to life.

Along with the image quality in the gallery, I like this idea.  I have a core group of people that I enjoy being around whenever possible.  To call them out without using up profile real estate would be cool. 

For the overall profile overhaul.  I see the point where your character is highly specialized for a role you want to play or portray.  Even though I am a rabid profile clicker, I enjoy a bit of mystery.  If an avi catches my eye, and the profile is written well and doesn't call a person out like me to not bother, I will try to work my way into a conversation with them.  I love meeting people and seeing where it leads.  To me, additional profile sections would be a little more than I find necessary, but I appreciate the points you make.

2 hours ago, Xizi said:

Yes, the quality of images we get is straight up mocking considering how much xgold gallery slots cost. No need to decrease the quality of images if they are less than 1 mb. 99% avis don't have more than 10 slots. Is 10 mb of server space for every avi is too much pressure on a server? No, it's not! In reality - many avis, especially alts or just some thrown away avis of people who was playing the game for a month - don't have more than 4-6 slots. 

Agreed, I also think that giving each character a specific amount of MB is a good and calculatable solution. They can judge ahead of time if they need more space depending on the players that arrive. If the need rises, they could even opt to remove inactive characters their art if there's a real problem with disk space. 

2 minutes ago, JackPine said:

Along with the image quality in the gallery, I like this idea.  I have a core group of people that I enjoy being around whenever possible.  To call them out without using up profile real estate would be cool. 

For the overall profile overhaul.  I see the point where your character is highly specialized for a role you want to play or portray.  Even though I am a rabid profile clicker, I enjoy a bit of mystery.  If an avi catches my eye, and the profile is written well and doesn't call a person out like me to not bother, I will try to work my way into a conversation with them.  I love meeting people and seeing where it leads.  To me, additional profile sections would be a little more than I find necessary, but I appreciate the points you make.

I fully agree with your statement about wanting to have certain mysterious when engaging with another player.  My only personal bother with the limited characters is that those who do want to present more, can't. I wouldn't want to read a massive wiki page about someone their character either, which is why I provide a link to my f-list page for those who are interested. There's no avoiding the trend of people placing other people their names on their profile to show their love and respect for these people. Putting this on a new tab within the profile could be really great both for the sake of clarity and space within the profile description.

When I tell people that I want more space for my profile description, I don't mean that I'm planning to write an entire novel. Yes, I'd like to write about my character, but sometimes there's more to tell. I won't go into detail about my character, Veronya, but she comes from a specific place which might be interesting to others. Imagine opening someone their profile and you read something about the place they originated from. The ways of entering a conversation with that person will multiply. In my eyes, a perfect description of a character looks as followed. A very short summary about who the character is which is the most important bit. After reading something like that, most people will have already decided whether or not to engage. Right behind the short summary, is a little bit about his/her background. This can help define this person's personality and help you see what you can expect. Last but not least is anything else you feel the need to share, could be other relationships, magic related things, likes and dislikes, etc. The most important thing that rounds all of this out, is a proper gallery. One that's holding quality images that can represent your character in a light that you want others to see him/her. With the current state of the image quality and size, this is impossible.

I'm sorry if I ranted a bit too much :< I love writing fantasy related things so things like these are very important to me. Looking at the general player of 3dx, I see that this doesn't apply to everyone. The pictures are still able to show something, the description still allows you to describe things, but all at the sacrifice of great detail. I do really apreciate those who read this and support it, thank you.

4 minutes ago, FutabaSakura said:

Agreed, I also think that giving each character a specific amount of MB is a good and calculatable solution. They can judge ahead of time if they need more space depending on the players that arrive. If the need rises, they could even opt to remove inactive characters their art if there's a real problem with disk space. 

I fully agree with your statement about wanting to have certain mysterious when engaging with another player.  My only personal bother with the limited characters is that those who do want to present more, can't. I wouldn't want to read a massive wiki page about someone their character either, which is why I provide a link to my f-list page for those who are interested. There's no avoiding the trend of people placing other people their names on their profile to show their love and respect for these people. Putting this on a new tab within the profile could be really great both for the sake of clarity and space within the profile description.

When I tell people that I want more space for my profile description, I don't mean that I'm planning to write an entire novel. Yes, I'd like to write about my character, but sometimes there's more to tell. I won't go into detail about my character, Veronya, but she comes from a specific place which might be interesting to others. Imagine opening someone their profile and you read something about the place they originated from. The ways of entering a conversation with that person will multiply. In my eyes, a perfect description of a character looks as followed. A very short summary about who the character is which is the most important bit. After reading something like that, most people will have already decided whether or not to engage. Right behind the short summary, is a little bit about his/her background. This can help define this person's personality and help you see what you can expect. Last but not least is anything else you feel the need to share, could be other relationships, magic related things, likes and dislikes, etc. The most important thing that rounds all of this out, is a proper gallery. One that's holding quality images that can represent your character in a light that you want others to see him/her. With the current state of the image quality and size, this is impossible.

I'm sorry if I ranted a bit too much :< I love writing fantasy related things so things like these are very important to me. Looking at the general player of 3dx, I see that this doesn't apply to everyone. The pictures are still able to show something, the description still allows you to describe things, but all at the sacrifice of great detail. I do really apreciate those who read this and support it, thank you.

You explain this well, and there are many more that would like this feature.  Good luck!  Along with clothing, poses, editor enhancements, etc.  the work at 3DX will never end. :)

5 minutes ago, FutabaSakura said:

If I'm reading this correctly, one quick and easy way to give additional options, would simply be by adding another 'page' to the Profile.
So you get the profile we have now on click, but there's a 'Additional Info' tab besides the 'About me'
That could be used by people to put their Relationship Lists and or Links(I don't think we'll ever get clickable links in Profiles though, to easy to abuse methinks)

But one thing to consider is that doubling the text fields in our profiles, by default also doubles the file size of said Profiles.
While each might be small, it would add up after a while...
I mean, it's all data that has to be viewable and such.
I'm sure more tech savvy folks would be better at wording this...

8 hours ago, Derai said:

If I'm reading this correctly, one quick and easy way to give additional options, would simply be by adding another 'page' to the Profile.
So you get the profile we have now on click, but there's a 'Additional Info' tab besides the 'About me'
That could be used by people to put their Relationship Lists and or Links(I don't think we'll ever get clickable links in Profiles though, to easy to abuse methinks)

But one thing to consider is that doubling the text fields in our profiles, by default also doubles the file size of said Profiles.
While each might be small, it would add up after a while...
I mean, it's all data that has to be viewable and such.
I'm sure more tech savvy folks would be better at wording this...

That's right! I've made another post a few months ago about that extra page https://3dxforum.com/index.php?/topic/12200-in-game-profile-tab-relations/. Regarding your statement about the file size of profiles, I feel like this is a problem they need to fix anyways. If they're already having trouble with disk space because of profile descriptions, then the idea of getting higher quality images is faaaaaaaaaaaar away :c Either way, discussing about what problems it may give the developers is odd since only they will be able to tell us what they can and can't do.

1 minute ago, FutabaSakura said:

That's right! I've made another post a few months ago about that extra page https://3dxforum.com/index.php?/topic/12200-in-game-profile-tab-relations/. Regarding your statement about the file size of profiles, I feel like this is a problem they need to fix anyways. If they're already having trouble with disk space because of profile descriptions, then the idea of getting higher quality images is faaaaaaaaaaaar away :c Either way, discussing about what problems it may give the developers is odd since only they will be able to tell us what they can and can't do.

One can hope that one of the updates they hinted at involves some form of server infrastructure 

I just think all profile should have access to something like 10 photoslots by default, to be honest.
Profile gallery and editing is fundamental in a social game like this one. 
Maybe in future would be also cool to see pics organized in photoalbums.

I agree a profile should have a maximum number of photoslots, but I never understood the meaning of paying for photoslots.

While I'd love to see 10 gallery slots to be open by default, I highly doubt that's ever going to happen. Since they're just pictures, and it's not 2001 anymore, I believe that they can be a much higher quality these days and the slots should be considerably cheaper than they are now. Paying 50+ for a single image slot is not okay, especially when you consider the time and money it costs to create a picture.

An argument could be made that not every player has their own art pieces, or cares enough about their profile to put up some decent quality pictures. No matter how you look at this problem though, it's something every single person deals with. As someone who cares about profiles and characters, I love to read people their descriptions and see their pictures. It allows me to get a complete picture of who their character is and what their personality would be like. Seeing the neat tiny details that went into an image is now lost due to the low quality. 

I do like the suggestion of photo albums, but do keep in mind that the reason these slots are so costly is most likely due to the developers not having much space to work with. Even f-list has a limit on how many pictures you can upload, 50. Dividing these into albums isn't really possible either. I don't remember what the default slots are, but I'd say a healthy start would be up to 4 or 5. That way you can have a dedicated profile picture and 3 or 4 pictures that can visualize your character. If you'd like to have more slots, purchase them as they do end up taking space. Like mentioned before though, it'd have to be considerably cheaper.