3DXChat Community

Constant DC, anyone else

RustyD

@Norfolk N Waye

I got no issues at all today. Servers are up and stable as far as I experianced.

Discons appear probably due to packet loss. While you won't notice watching vids on YouTube, a game like 3DX reacts very sensible 'cos it can't buffer.

If you go online by WLAN try to connect with a cable. If this runs stable, you could try to improve your WLAN. Perhaps enhancing the signal with a repeater or sometimes it can even help to put some alu-foil behind the antenna of your router, which would act like a parabol reflector (and should be formed like such) and focus the signal more towards your computer. Worth a try.

Check for other sources, which could jam your WLAN. Remote control for garage door, baby phone, and devices like this.

Another solution could be to reconfigure your router. There are often options to chose between faster or more stable connections. Try a more stable configuration then, if possible.

Another point is the frequency on which your router broadcasts. If too many of your neighbours send on same band, it may lower your quality. You can most probably switch to another band then or configure your router, to look for the most empty band on it's own. But this may be a trap because, if it switches automatically, you get a short discon during the change for a new frequency. At least my router does. In this case 3DX will kick you out again. Therefore I configured mine stable for using a rather empty band. But most times I play via a solid cable connection anyway.

Last thing is your ISP. You may ask them to check your line. You can do a self test too on the webside I link here for example. But there are several more one can use. But I do not know how reliable this webtests really are. I suggest, your ISP could check more in depth. Anyway, it might give you a hint.

https://packetlosstest.com/

I suspect it is not an software issue, so reinstalling won't solve you problem supposingly.

I hope this helps.

regards

Pan

Edited by Pandorra

I pass on this question. I am no computer pro. But I'd try to find the error systematically. If your comp runs fine via cable, I would suppose it is due to WiFi connection and not a firewall or anything else interfering. Then I'd check for WiFi signal strength, packet loss etc. pp.

A defect WiFi card could be a reason, but I would think it would either work or not. But working just a bit seems not the most propable option in my understanding. But ofc, it could be. Perhaps you check for driver updates concerning your WiFi card too?

Nevertheless, I presume your repeater's signal is more prone to cause this issue. I can't tell you more unfortunately. It's simply about checking possible leaks or jams step by step. I can't do anything but leave this process up to you, sorry. Have you tried very close to your router? Maybe it's really just the distance between WiFi source and receiving comp. Inside a house 10-15m through walls can be already much for WiFi in a good quality. Steel armoured concrete would deflect a lot. In this case a repeater should do.

Good luck!

regards

Pan

Edited by Pandorra

Thanks Pan. Everything else that uses my WiFi is running fine, my tablet,laptop and phone. They're smooth and stable no matter what I do or what sites/apps I use.All except 3DXChat.Sometimes the game behaves well and doesn't DC for hours. But sometimes, I get DCed multiple times in a few minutes.Occasionally after I re-connect, my Friends that are online are greyed out even when I can see them in a room.

I have a 100/100M fiber connection and relatively capable pc (RTX2070, i7 6700k, 32G ram) and I've never experienced DC issues in 3dxchat.

IMO, you should never use wireless connections for gaming. There's always more latency with wireless connections. Latency creates problems for servers and also to other players you are playing with.

If you want to know how "good" your connection is try pinging google dns server (8.8.8.8) for example.

Open cmd and type "ping 8.8.8.8 -t" (without quote marks...). This command is a continous ping ("-t" in the end) and you need to stop it by pressing ctrl + c. Let it run for a good 30s to get several replies and then stop it. If you type the command without the "-t" it will only ping 5 times (like in the pic attached) and that's not enough to determine if your connection has latency issues. It's also adviced to do some regular tasks with your equipment while the ping is on. Use your phone and tablet to do whatever you use it. Use your pc to browse internet etc. That'll create some traffic and you want to know if the traffic creates latency.

When pinging has started it should start posting replies to your ping command. On every row there is a section called "time". This tells you what your ping/latency is between your pc and the google dns server (or what ever the destination of your ping is...).

In optimal situation you should ping the address of 3dxchat server but for obvious reasons it's not public information and by pinging it you would create unnecessary traffic and affect the performance of the server. (Google dns server will handle your ping just fine though because it's in a huge data center unlike 3dxchat server...)

ping-befehl-EN-4.thumb.jpg.a172ee5f2c65635cafbced92912f4dca.jpg

If you get values below 100ms that should be still fine for gaming but not optimal. 10 to 20ms would be great. If you see spikes occasionally, like 200-500ms or more, it tells you that you have issues with your network and those spikes are the cause of you getting disconnected. For a good connection the ping values should stay almost unchanged.

Be cautious with the ping command and don't start pinging to every single server ip you can find. Search internet to find out which servers are ok to ping if you want to do more diagnosing.

On 14.02.2021 at 7:33 AM, Norfolk N Waye said:

Thanks Pan. Everything else that uses my WiFi is running fine, my tablet,laptop and phone. They're smooth and stable no matter what I do or what sites/apps I use.All except 3DXChat.Sometimes the game behaves well and doesn't DC for hours. But sometimes, I get DCed multiple times in a few minutes.Occasionally after I re-connect, my Friends that are online are greyed out even when I can see them in a room.

Hackers. 

• 3 weeks later...

I've given up trying to fix my constant DC problem and just tried to re-install the game.After downloading it from the 3DXChat website, I started the install but that timed out while trying to download additional files. I tried again but got the same result.Then I used the link on this forum for the 430 update and that failed as well.Using an older version seemed to work until it stalled on unzipping an update. Needless to say, this is getting very annoying.

2 hours ago, Norfolk N Waye said:

I've given up trying to fix my constant DC problem and just tried to re-install the game.After downloading it from the 3DXChat website, I started the install but that timed out while trying to download additional files. I tried again but got the same result.Then I used the link on this forum for the 430 update and that failed as well.Using an older version seemed to work until it stalled on unzipping an update. Needless to say, this is getting very annoying.

Curious is it everywhere inside you get them or is it mainly in big rooms, because could be wireless and connection thing. I used to run on older dongle sorta wireless USB I am using for mine, which limited my total overall internet connection bottlenecking it. Then from advice of internet provider I got bigger one so I could make use my 5ghz now instead of sitting on 2.4ghz one.

Maybe is not that but if you're talking about checking PC and connection, maybe be a good place to look too if your net is not bottlenecking a newer network if your network receive upgrades runningly from the providers, as technology has been advancing. 

Back on my old dongle I did get lots of DC in bigger rooms because it bottlenecked for me then I guess lagged out eventually.

Edited by TashaTight

On 2/7/2021 at 12:57 AM, Norfolk N Waye said:

Thanks Pan. I'm using WiFi and I've tried the game on my wife's PC and it's stable. So I suspect the problem is with my computer. I've done a virus check and I'm clean there too.Maybe I need to upgrade/replace my WiFi card?

I have to come back to this info from you. ^^

Your wife's PC seems to run fine. Stupid idea, but do you have a long network cable to connect your PC temporarily with? Or can you move your PC to where you can use a network cable?
This way you could decide if it is your WiFi or some software / hardware issue.

On 3/6/2021 at 7:31 AM, Norfolk N Waye said:

Try see if link here works, seems to worked for others.