3DXChat Community

Movement controls

Jamatrix101

For now we can only move by clicking, but yes, some keys set to move would be great, but not WASD as not everyone have them placed the same on their keyboard. In france, the corresponding positions are ZQSD. (W is placed under S and A is placed where Q is in QWERTY keyboards)

It would be better to set the arrow keys as they are all placed the same (i think) on every keyboard.

Edited by Leeloo

2 hours ago, Leeloo said:

For now we can only move by clicking, but yes, some keys set to move would be great, but not WASD as not everyone have them placed the same on their keyboard. In france, the corresponding positions are ZQSD. (W is placed under S and A is placed where Q is in QWERTY keyboards)

It would be better to set the arrow keys as they are all placed the same (i think) on every keyboard.

Wasd is good. 

WASD is good for owners of QWERTY keyboards, not for owners of AZERTY keyboards

Exemples the keys on both would looks this way on both keyboards:

Q W E R T Y U I O P    /     A Z E R T Y U I O P

A S D F G H J K L       /       Q S D F G H J K L M

Z X C V B N M < > ?  / <> W X C V B N  ,  ;  :  !

As you can notice, the WASD configuration would not be the best option for AZERTY owners

Edited by Leeloo

4 hours ago, Leeloo said:

WASD is good for owners of QWERTY keyboards, not for owners of AZERTY keyboards

Exemples the keys on both would looks this way on both keyboards:

Q W E R T Y U I O P    /     A Z E R T Y U I O P

A S D F G H J K L       /       Q S D F G H J K L M

Z X C V B N M < > ?  / <> W X C V B N  ,  ;  :  !

As you can notice, the WASD configuration would not be the best option for AZERTY owners

We already was talking about it. The Best solution is custom Keys. Arrows are not good for me. 

Other option that could be envisaged: 

Hold right mouse button = rotate the camera (as it is now)

Press left mouse button = move to the spot where the cursor is (as it is now)

Hold both left mouse button and right mouse button = move in the way the camera is facing and rotate the camera while walking

Few games i played have this feature and i find it really useful.

On 1/12/2021 at 4:31 PM, Leeloo said:

Other option that could be envisaged: 

Hold right mouse button = rotate the camera (as it is now)

Press left mouse button = move to the spot where the cursor is (as it is now)

Hold both left mouse button and right mouse button = move in the way the camera is facing and rotate the camera while walking

Few games i played have this feature and i find it really useful.

I like the sound of that but it also sounds as a bit awkward for anyone using a trackpad on a laptop.  Do you know if the other games you have played have a solution for this?

21 hours ago, Leopardus said:

I like the sound of that but it also sounds as a bit awkward for anyone using a trackpad on a laptop.  Do you know if the other games you have played have a solution for this?

Well, Dragon age have this option and the avatars can also move with keyboard, second life have this too and they also have the keyboard moving option, if i remember well , even mass effect (the first episod) have this option.

In DA and ME these are just usefull to free a hand if the player need the other hand free (anwser a phone call by exemple), in SL it's a bit more usefull as it allow to write in chat and walk in same time (with the option "typing a letter/number open chat" turned on). So this left+right mouse buttons option is just a proposition that, in 3DX, will give the advantage to have maybe a better control on where the avatar is looking and where it stop :)

I suppose that this would not cancel the need of a keyboard setting for the walk/run