3DXChat Community

Jack's Dream Cabin in the Woods

JackPine

Yeah it is possible with the world editor. My only concern would be the size. It looks pretty small so for the avi to be able to move properly, it might be necessary to do it a bit bigger. Same, to go upstair with the limited space, it will need some little trick. But the structure itself is not an issue.

Edited by Torax

Question to the wonderful and talented builders in our midst.  When furnishing my little fantasy getaway, will I find furniture and decor somewhat similar to the pictures above in World Editor, or do I need to look outside?  I will not need very many pieces, but will be a challenge for me to learn how to put together.  

I hope to make this look great, and a place you would like to receive an invite to come see and explore!

26 minutes ago, JackPine said:

Question to the wonderful and talented builders in our midst.  When furnishing my little fantasy getaway, will I find furniture and decor somewhat similar to the pictures above in World Editor, or do I need to look outside?  I will not need very many pieces, but will be a challenge for me to learn how to put together.  

I hope to make this look great, and a place you would like to receive an invite to come see and explore!

nah world editor is kinda poor when it comes to default stuff , u will need to find from builders out there similar or slowly make ur self or order specific furnitures

16 hours ago, JackPine said:

Contact me in the game. I'll help you as much as I can. 

2 hours ago, JackPine said:

Wow.  3 hours in editor and I have been able to place a bed in my cozy cabin.  That's it. At this rate my room will be ready around Christmas, 2025. lol  You builders are rock stars!  Will keep plugging away as I have time!

Please show us a picture of your cozy cabin 🙂

5 hours ago, JackPine said:

Wow.  3 hours in editor and I have been able to place a bed in my cozy cabin.  That's it. At this rate my room will be ready around Christmas, 2025. lol  You builders are rock stars!  Will keep plugging away as I have time!

Argh Jack! The file I sent you is not final! I still need some work on the cabin. It was for you to test the ladder lol :)

4 hours ago, Torax said:

Argh Jack! The file I sent you is not final! I still need some work on the cabin. It was for you to test the ladder lol :)

Sorry Torax.  lol  It was a good exercise for me anyway.  I have a whole new level of appreciation.  The ladder worked for me.  I feel the loft may be too cozy.  The bed fits, but hard to get the zoom and angle just right so the view is not from the outside looking in.  I don't want to cause any more work to make it a bit bigger, since the cabin looks pretty spot on!

1 hour ago, JenC said:

Look out if you get the bug, we'll see you in 6 months with some huge forest world with dozens of huts and caves and all sorts of things. 😜

I can see this becoming an addiction.   But at my rate, best guess will be years, not months!  You builders rock! 

17 hours ago, Diana Prince said:

How about the Endor Ewok village? 😃

endor-ewok-village.jpg

I have a story about this, while not Endor specifically, I started building a village a little like the one pictured here, and it ended in tears.

Keep in mind I had done a fair bit of work on the forest floor already.. All the trees except one are animated so that excluded them from being used in the project, the one static tree I resized till I got the trunk around the diameter I required but it was way too short so I then reshaped it and pulled it up till I got the height I wanted and it looked great, so I start building around the tree and linked it up with a few others using rope bridges and It was starting to take shape and looking wonderful. I started adding some lighting and as usual when I do that I always move my avi to the locales to see what the lighting looks like on her and I discovered that I couldn't walk there as something was blocking me and after looking closer I realised that the tree suffers the same issue as the sphere does in that if you reshape it, it invisibly retains the size of the widest point, so you couldn't get within around 6ft of the trunk... After much swearing I though I'll try making the trees, but because of the way the textures work here and not being able to scale them, I couldn't get a look I was happy with so the project was shelved. 😢

Most difficult part aside from movements being crammed and camera likely gonna give you collisions against the objects will be the stairs. it's hard to impossible to make a completely vertical ladder that would work think you'd need to at least have it in a slight rotated angle is it's gonna work properly. Could be wrong however but have not had any good experiences with that not even with my pool ladder which is slightly diagonally rotated. Not sure about if the object collision with stairs would be a issue either it is when you're swimming but not sure if it is also walking.

P.S Devs if you're reading give up pool ladders and ladder objects with animations and grabbing crawl up/down.

Edited by TashaTight

6 hours ago, JenC said:

I have a story about this, while not Endor specifically, I started building a village a little like the one pictured here, and it ended in tears.

Keep in mind I had done a fair bit of work on the forest floor already.. All the trees except one are animated so that excluded them from being used in the project, the one static tree I resized till I got the trunk around the diameter I required but it was way too short so I then reshaped it and pulled it up till I got the height I wanted and it looked great, so I start building around the tree and linked it up with a few others using rope bridges and It was starting to take shape and looking wonderful. I started adding some lighting and as usual when I do that I always move my avi to the locales to see what the lighting looks like on her and I discovered that I couldn't walk there as something was blocking me and after looking closer I realised that the tree suffers the same issue as the sphere does in that if you reshape it, it invisibly retains the size of the widest point, so you couldn't get within around 6ft of the trunk... After much swearing I though I'll try making the trees, but because of the way the textures work here and not being able to scale them, I couldn't get a look I was happy with so the project was shelved. 😢

There is a relatively easy solution to the sphere bug: use an egg shaped object, stretch it the way you want, copy it and turn the copy 180° upside down. Now you have an object group that looks almost the same as a single stretched sphere object.

Here is an example: to the left you see the stretched egg and an upside-down copy above it. Move it up and down till it looks like the object group to the right.

2021-01-15 10-59-33_19749.png