3DXChat Community

Why alternative characters?

Guest MrRob

I think it's obvious that people will have differing opinions on this subject. It's only natural. But the very fact that there are 3 slots for character creation leads me to believe that this game almost seems to encourage alternative personas. Encourage might not be the right word to describe it, but at the very least 3DXChat gives you the option to do so, if you so desire, and I love that about this game. While I myself actually portray my real self through my character/avatar, I most definitely wouldn't mind that others don't. This, however means that I'd prefer to connect with those who would do the same as I, but no discimination here. I think having good conversation is way more important than whether or not your hair is really blonde in real life. Honestly though, you'll probably run into more fake people in real life than you would in any game.

3DX encourages you to be the person that you want to be. Some people want to be themselves, as they are in real life, and are accommodated by a single character slot. I feel it is profound - being content with who you are as an individual. Someone who has accepted themselves, found their inner peace or.. alternatively, come to terms with their inner turmoil. Someone who has no need for masks and disguises, one who does not feel compelled to explore their own individuality any further than they already have. I admire and respect their accomplishment, because I know it's not always a simple feat to merely be yourself.

Some people are more complex, and there are many reasons for why that might be. Some people are not satisfied with who they are, or perhaps aren't finished with figuring themselves out. We never have all the answers, and while it's true that no one knows you better than you do.. perhaps even you haven't unraveled everything about yourself. Perhaps you haven't explored everything there is to explore, or placed yourself in every situation for the experience, to see, to feel, to know. I don't think we are ever done, learning and evolving, changing and growing.. and it makes me happy that there are some who try new things, escape for a while and explore a new persona. I respect their insatiable curiosity and wanderlust.

Personally I'm just Poly. There is already many sides to me, and I'm complicated enough as it is. I have the one character slot and that will do. I'm happy changing my clothes like a chameleon shifts their skin, and meeting new people all the time, learning from them and their own ways, behaviors and personalities. Watching others interact with each other can reveal all kinds of interesting things. Even if most of the communication is private.. world chat has the occasional gem.

Your last point is interesting to me.. Real life is full of societies and cultures and countries, etcetera.. We are compelled.. lightly or heavily, weakly or strongly.. to conform to the norm. Peer pressure, associations, business, chemistry.. there are so many influences on us as people. Some don't mind, are not fazed. Some do, and rebel. Real life asks that we be a certain way, and that might mean simply being yourself. If so, you're a lucky one. It might mean pretending or blending into the crowd. Being yourself might be the hardest option available.

Games are a way for people to escape these pressures. Setting real life aside for a time can be a relief like none other.. and if wearing a blonde wig is a conducive or constructive means towards this end, it puts a smile on my face that they're doing what they need to do.

3DX encourages you to be the person that you want to be. Some people want to be themselves, as they are in real life, and are accommodated by a single character slot. I feel it is profound - being content with who you are as an individual. Someone who has accepted themselves, found their inner peace or.. alternatively, come to terms with their inner turmoil. Someone who has no need for masks and disguises, one who does not feel compelled to explore their own individuality any further than they already have. I admire and respect their accomplishment, because I know it's not always a simple feat to merely be yourself.

Some people are more complex, and there are many reasons for why that might be. Some people are not satisfied with who they are, or perhaps aren't finished with figuring themselves out. We never have all the answers, and while it's true that no one knows you better than you do.. perhaps even you haven't unraveled everything about yourself. Perhaps you haven't explored everything there is to explore, or placed yourself in every situation for the experience, to see, to feel, to know. I don't think we are ever done, learning and evolving, changing and growing.. and it makes me happy that there are some who try new things, escape for a while and explore a new persona. I respect their insatiable curiosity and wanderlust.

Personally I'm just Poly. There is already many sides to me, and I'm complicated enough as it is. I have the one character slot and that will do. I'm happy changing my clothes like a chameleon shifts their skin, and meeting new people all the time, learning from them and their own ways, behaviors and personalities. Watching others interact with each other can reveal all kinds of interesting things. Even if most of the communication is private.. world chat has the occasional gem.

Your last point is interesting to me.. Real life is full of societies and cultures and countries, etcetera.. We are compelled.. lightly or heavily, weakly or strongly.. to conform to the norm. Peer pressure, associations, business, chemistry.. there are so many influences on us as people. Some don't mind, are not fazed. Some do, and rebel. Real life asks that we be a certain way, and that might mean simply being yourself. If so, you're a lucky one. It might mean pretending or blending into the crowd. Being yourself might be the hardest option available.

Games are a way for people to escape these pressures. Setting real life aside for a time can be a relief like none other.. and if wearing a blonde wig is a conducive or constructive means towards this end, it puts a smile on my face that they're doing what they need to do.

You pretty much nailed it Polte! 

I don't care how well resolved or comfortable with yourself you are, doing 10% of what you do or can do in 3DXChat in real life take a LOT of guts. But, thankfully, we live in interesting times and we have the internet to help us express/explore our inner desires and getting to know like-minded people in the process. That's one hell of a thing!

Sometimes, for whatever reason, we choose to portrait a different person or gender. And, if being an alternative character is a part of someone's desires or even if it's just helping you figure out yourself better, it's something I've absolutely no problem with.

And I've to admit; I admire who can actually portrait another person. Personally I'm just me. It's already too difficult trying to fully understand myself and I don't think I'm gonna ever do it :P

Anyway, the "being honest" question raised in this topic is a very difficult one! Telling people who you really are can totally ruin the fun for who's deep into alternative characters. But, on the other hand, people can get hurt in the process. Being well-resolved, comfortable with who you are don't make you immune to feelings. We are all humans after all, even if you just want to have fun. 

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting topic.

I have only one main char, made to look like myself and that's the only one I'll ever play. I made a male char just to strip it naked and leave it on character select screen to get in the mood upon signing in.

I find it somewhat easy to guess when its a male controlling a female toon looking for lesbian sex. I really dislike that and cut out as soon as noticed. I'm not saying I dislike sex with women; I do it in game and IRL, but I like honesty.

From where I stand there are 2 separate things closely linked to each other, or more precisely a line one must not cross.

On the one hand, you got players just looking for random fun with no involvement whatsoever.

On the other, you have players that get involved as people on whatever they do in game.

Between them lies the line that one must be careful not to cross. That spot where the difference between characters/avatars/RP and people gets blurry...

• 2 weeks later...

The boys where pushing, shoving, shouting, and competing. The girls were quiete, laughing, helping and sharing. Im not ashamed to say I liked playing with the girls more than I enjoyed playing with the boys. I still do. I think this experiance can help shed more light on my playing female decision.

Well I've wondered long time if I should put my tuppence worth to this discussion about male playing as female.

To be honest I don't care as what people are playing in here, because an online game should give people the opportunity of being what they want to be. I'm pretty sure no one asks what your neighbour is doing when the door is shut or ask for this personal things. The reason is simple and should be obvious: It's not your business.

So I don't know why it should be different in 3dx. Calling the community tolerant and accepting is one thing but it seems like you can't be what you like to be, because players need to be protected from males playing as female. (Like it's a infectious illness <_< )

And bringing the argument of lying to your friends isn't right, because if you don't lie about yourself as person, just about the gender (which in some matters got rationalized) there no harm happened. If it's a good going "friendship" of accepting and understanding this "lie" is forgiveable or you have to accept the consequences.

But let me ask if all of you would react the same way if a girl would play as a male? :huh:  I don't think so.

Where is the equality in that case then? (Or are only women allowed to ask for this?)

Wow, old thread revival FTW  :)

Let me see if I can wrap my brain around this one at some point. To put into perspective I currently have 2 avatars. Me (Mikey) and my alter ego DJ Boxers(who has never been out to play yet). Both are male but that is my choice, to represent my gender correctly. However what we all get out of 3DX is very very different and at the end of the day it is a "Fantasy". That is the KEY word here:

Fantasy, means a few things at the end of the day...

1. The creative imagination; unrestrained fancy.
2. Something, such as an invention, that is a creation of the fancy.
3. A capricious or fantastic idea; a conceit.

People can choose to match their Gender, or they can choose to live out being another Gender. It can work both ways too. A guy can play a girl, and a girl can play a guy. Some like to experience how the other sex lives, some want to experience same sex interactions. It is not for us to judge what/who/how/where/why etc. Remember that when you point a finger, there are many pointing back at you. Imagine yourself in somebody else's shoes before you judge. There is no harm nor foul in playing the opposite sex if you so choose, and if you play it well, UNLESS it becomes a moral issue where you use it to trick somebody (lie to them) on purpose for whatever reason be it getting into their pants or learning things about them they would otherwise not have told you. Remember, the truth ALWAYS comes out eventually, nothing can be hidden forever. If you use the Avatar for fun (Male as Female or Female as Male) then I see no harm, but when it is used maliciously there is bound to be harm i.e. losing your integrity in front of friends or strangers, being branded as a liar and the worst punishment, losing friends because of it.

So I don't know why it should be different in 3dx. Calling the community tolerant and accepting is one thing but it seems like you can't be what you like to be, because players need to be protected from males playing as female. (Like it's a infectious illness <_< )

If I can be honest about what I have seen, the community discuss it in depth at times. I have seen 2 conversations about this. I do not necessarily agree with what they said because I fully believe that "To each his/her own" but there is a stigma being created about people playing as other gender characters. If you think about it carefully it is very hard for people to be "protected" from Males as Females, and I think the same would apply if it is Females as Males. If it is done properly and in fantasy the other person will not really know, and is there really any harm if it is done in the spirit of fantasy ? Can the Moderators and Admins really protect you if they don't know the persons real gender and they are keeping to the spirit of the fantasy ? Some people are trapped in another body and we should respect their choice as long as it is not malicious or conceited. I will honestly say, from my observations, that the community overall is very accepting IF it is done in the spirit of fantasy, but also, sometimes, only if they don't find out (i.e. the girl that a guy was with was actually a guy).

But let me ask if all of you would react the same way if a girl would play as a male? :huh:  I don't think so.

If I have to be honest here I have a feeling the reaction would be different. Unfortunately it is down to how people are programmed. Think about it like this: I am not stereotyping nor am I speaking for every single person on the planet, its just an example: Straight Guy does not mind seeing 2 Girls kiss but does mind seeing 2 Guys kiss. Straight Girl does not mind seeing 2 Girls Kiss or seeing 2 Guys kiss. Bi Girl also does not mind does not mind seeing 2 Girls Kiss or seeing 2 Guys kiss. Bi Guy does not mind seeing 2 Girls Kiss or seeing 2 Guys kiss. Lesbian Girl does not mind seeing 2 Girls Kiss or but might mind seeing 2 Guys kiss. Gay Guy does not mind seeing 2 Guys Kiss but might mind seeing 2 Girls kiss. The reaction to your comment above would be different from person to person so it is hard to say.

And bringing the argument of lying to your friends isn't right, because if you don't lie about yourself as person, just about the gender (which in some matters got rationalized) there no harm happened. If it's a good going "friendship" of accepting and understanding this "lie" is forgiveable or you have to accept the consequences.

This I think I covered quite neutrally  :) As long as it is not a malicious lay and is only about fantasy, then there cannot be any harm except maybe to the ego  :) However if you cause hurt you need to be prepared for the consequences.

Sorry there I go with a snorefest of a post again. Whether we choose to be ourselves or choose to be somebody different, it is up to us, and nobody should judge. We should be accepting of peoples reasons to choose to be who they want especially if they are living a fantasy or are doing a Role Play. How you deal with things speaks volumes for the kind of person you are, and remember too that your true colours always come out.

This image speaks wonders: It applies to people too, not just objects. How we choose to act is how it will be returned to us.

anYRvmV_700b_zps18902c6c.jpg

I've been trying a new approach to this game. I've created two new characters, one female (Catherine) and one male (Silhouette). I updated my profile to show that they exist and I have Catherine described as my 'female self'. In Catherine's profile I clearly state that it is really me.

I haven't played Catherine on her own yet but I have been suprised how much interest I have got for her. People have asked to meet her and have been willing to go further. I think this shows just how open minded people can be in this game and how it allows you to express different aspects of your personality.

Silhouette is supposed to represent the darker side of me (and I'm not sure what I mean by darker), but I have barely explored that yet.

• 2 weeks later...
please excuse my english! 

He went out to buy cigarettes and never came back.

then I'll use the translate.google. hope you can understand something.

Raise your hand if you've made ​​an alternative character, just to make Trick-or-treat.  o/

When I started this game I also found odd the amount and ease with which it creates and deletes chars. till I sent a suggestion to (informer.com) talking about this

But now I think it does no harm, quite the contrary. allows each person may release a bit of his alter ego, or of himself.

Allowing it to be more daring for example.

We have to remember that many main chars is the reflection of his players. Can anyone really be offended in the game!

Also has many players who just want to enjoy without any commitment! Provided it does not have the purpose of offending others, who can tell me what's wrong?

I am in favor of freedom!

for me the downside of all this are Simply by the Trolls, and people who take pleasure in mistreating others.! The ease of changing and deleting char, may allow a Troll cross your path several times in different skins.

have some people that I do not really like to see more in any form!

Already exists a blacklist to chars. 

Should have a blacklist for accounts!

For example. if i put the char from someone in my blacklist all the other characters on this account would be blocked for me too.

for me the downside of all this are Simply by the Trolls, and people who take pleasure in mistreating others.! The ease of changing and deleting char, may allow a Troll cross your path several times in different skins.

have some people that I do not really like to see more in any form!

Already exists a blacklist to chars. 
For example. if i put the char from someone in my blacklist all the other characters on this account would be blocked for me too.

I think this is a great idea. Both I myself and several of my friends have been trolled repeatedly, and it's a very unpleasant experience. Of course, since I have used a number of different characters myself, there might be those who will say "serves you right." But there is a difference between wanting to explore different alter egos and maliciously stalking someone. 

I've actually identified three different parties who were trolling me, and their motivations were each entirely different. In two of these cases, it would be fair to say that the motivation was spitefulness or the desire to play mind games, which I suppose makes it partly my own fault for having done something that upset them. One, however, was a person who actually had a crush on my character and just couldn't move on after I said I wasn't interested. 

In any case, there are many different motivations and probably there are some people who do things without realizing that what they were doing might be considered trolling, which makes this is an issue that I think ought to be discussed more openly and more thoroughly.

Not going to make any comments on the rest, it has been discussed extensively.

But on the accoutns, I have to add something. Accounttns are private and confidential, and no one but Admin and the user have access to them. By blocking one avatar and having the account blocked, one could easily discover who is who. Each avatar here, played for whatever reasons, represent a person, and its that combo you Block, not the account. You have no right to that person's other avatars, this is what you agreed to, when you wanted multiple slots for multiple avatars to live out whatever fantasies or ...

When players make a choice to have 3 slots, options to create additional avatars, these are the risks we run. Nothing can be done, only caution advised and after the usage of the Block Button, or whatever is required if harrassement takes place.

When playing multiple avatars, and not making some sort of reference to your main or your true gender, one always runs risks of trolling, offending others, with or without intention to do so, merely cause  of human nature; what IS for you might NOT be for others.....very simple.

• 4 years later...

Here my short story n what I realised.

I started this game with me wanted to see how is to have a relationship with a girl since I'm straight in real life, so I started my lesbian journey at some point I didn't feel good cause learned n experienced that many men played females n that was ruining my fantasy I was kinda mad cause I was thinking look in what lengths men go to just have sex.

Anyway I was lucky to meet some lesbians n got taught many stuff n had fun n experienced what I was looking for.

I also realized n knew this is a game n that everyone has the right to be whatever as long us they respect other ppl choices n many did n others didn't so some friends I have now are the ones respected my fantasy n didn't try fool me.

So bottom line is respect others

LMAO and that just after two pages :P  We should take this as an example, and I don't exclude myself!

Anyway.... why resurrect such an old thread? 

LMAO and that just after two pages :P  We should take this as an example, and I don't exclude myself!

If Gizmo would just make a clear statement that 3DXChat accounts have always had and always will have three character slots, he would save some of us a lot of typing. :P But actually I think he enjoys reading the drama. :D

If Gizmo would just make a clear statement that 3DXChat accounts have always had and always will have three character slots, he would save some of us a lot of typing. :P But actually I think he enjoys reading the drama. :D

Well I don't think that having three character slots is the issue here... I also use them, but not for role playing or mind fucking... just for building or to be private with my love so nobody can disturb us with pm's :) 

I would even say leave out the 10k and add a marker to all additional characters (like RP for role playing). If someone likes role-playing and others too, then they can find each other perfectly and make each other happy. In this case I would not need an account wide ban either.

But on the accoutns, I have to add something. Accounttns are private and confidential, and no one but Admin and the user have access to them. By blocking one avatar and having the account blocked, one could easily discover who is who. Each avatar here, played for whatever reasons, represent a person, and its that combo you Block, not the account. You have no right to that person's other avatars, this is what you agreed to, when you wanted multiple slots for multiple avatars to live out whatever fantasies or ...

When players make a choice to have 3 slots, options to create additional avatars, these are the risks we run. Nothing can be done, only caution advised and after the usage of the Block Button, or whatever is required if harrassement takes place.

When playing multiple avatars, and not making some sort of reference to your main or your true gender, one always runs risks of trolling, offending others, with or without intention to do so, merely cause  of human nature; what IS for you might NOT be for others.....very simple.

Accounttns are private and confidential

Thats all we need.

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder why a topic that has been dormant since 19th January 2014 should come active again on 6th August 2018. People use alts for many reasons. It seems, from other threads and posts, that a few people use alts to cause trouble. Alts aren’t the problem, although I do like to know who i’m talking to.

• 4 weeks later...