3DXChat Community

Dreams and Nightmares

Guest Doll

I know this might seem totally random and pointless but please don't shoot me down...there's more random and pointless threads out there honest :P

...but...

...I had a horrible nightmare last night...it actually ended in a kinda lovely way but since it's fresh in my mind I thought I'd solicit you lovely people's views, (don't worry not gonna tell you the nightmare lol).

I know there's plenty of literature out there on the subject but do you think dreams and nightmares serve any more purpose than to just re-organise the mess of thoughts and experiences from our day?

Why are some Dreams and some Nightmares if it's just re-organisation of memories and such?

I have a bad habit of analysing everything so I was trying to pick it apart but do you folks do this too or do you think it's pointless trying to examine them for anything useful to waking thought?

Not expecting direct answers lol...just wanted to start a discussion and see what other people fink :)

(Feel free to ignore ofc) :)

I believe dreams to be some kind of caricatures of what is going on deep on our minds. That's how I rationalize my dreams not making any sense most of the times. Take this night for one, my dog chewed off the tap I use to fill his water, and I dreamt that there was a waterfall in my house... and I was swimming in it with my dog...

I believe dreams to be some kind of caricatures of what is going on deep on our minds. That's how I rationalize my dreams not making any sense most of the times. Take this night for one, my dog chewed off the tap I use to fill his water, and I dreamt that there was a waterfall in my house... and I was swimming in it with my dog...

Lol...so you think maybe an anxiety dream about your house flooding because of the broken tap? Or if it felt fun maybe a re-assurance that the anxiety was unfounded?

I guess it's all about how the dream felt to you? Can any of it help you understand yourself...life...your dog any better? Or is it just a jumble of what was last in your thoughts...replayed in caricature as you say?

Too many questions lol

Dreams are the hidden part of our mind (in subconscious) . Moreover , this part of us but there are not working laws of logic . Do not try to understand dreams based on logical reasoning .

Here works associative reasoning.This is our first of what we had before the birth . And it work always . People who practice lucid dreaming and out of body experiences (deep) , they use associative reasoning , this is for those who want to understand themselves and to understand why life is not so "good" .

For example , you can't have some opinion on whole 100% until you didn`t see the hidden half of yourself . It reminds lie to yourself . Most part of us living in illusions that we have some opinion . Its normal for this moment . Anyway this is a question of personal practice , scientists can't explore and explain everything , they explore only the external world . Respect to them , their works are open to all .

Lol...so you think maybe an anxiety dream about your house flooding because of the broken tap? Or if it felt fun maybe a re-assurance that the anxiety was unfounded?

I guess it's all about how the dream felt to you? Can any of it help you understand yourself...life...your dog any better? Or is it just a jumble of what was last in your thoughts...replayed in caricature as you say?

Too many questions lol

Questions, questions.. go on, I'm all horns (kudos to whomever gets the reference).

My dad fixed the tap while I was out at work, so I don't know how bad of a flood it caused. I do know however that my dog loves water during Summer.. and boy... he also does love to swim. So I guess the dream was kinda of an exaggerated idea of how much it must have been for him to be bathed by the water leak

It takes practice to control dreams. To me they are very random. The interesting is once i realized i was dreaming i soon had full control of everything. Once u get good at that, its like a playground for your mind. No worries of bad premonitions or stuff like that, your in tune with your own choices and the so called destiny. Just think of it as your mind doing its daily stretches and workouts. The mind is an amazing tool.

It takes practice to control dreams. To me they are very random. The interesting is once i realized i was dreaming i soon had full control of everything. Once u get good at that, its like a playground for your mind. No worries of bad premonitions or stuff like that, your in tune with your own choices and the so called destiny. Just think of it as your mind doing its daily stretches and workouts. The mind is an amazing tool.

Lucid dreaming? I've tried it for my whole life lol. What's your secret yun?

Lol first i Listen to music and just let myself emerge in it. Helps create the environment. If i do fall asleep and dream i tought myself over time to look for any signs or numbers, since in that state your brain cant produces those images very will in dreams. Once u notice i guess the best way to discribe the feeling is that your mind feels like theres an extensive reach from your body thats created in the dream and the area around you. I dont know why but the feeling comes from my spine, all the way up to the brain.

I started this in same way , but to me this is was difficult . 

This man has a lot of practice and teaches courses on lucid dreaming and out of body traveling .

l_e471df04.jpg

I had the first experience on the fifth day (accidentally popping out lol ) . It was great .

Here his book (eng version) if u interested ----> School of Out-of-Body Travel (SOBT) A Practical Guidebook

10275491_650066931714449_552916072877225

I didn't even know this was something you could learn to do...dunno if I really believe you can control your dreams if you're truly in certain cycles of brain activity because conscious control has shut down but I'm not dismissing it out of hand.

I think maybe a dreamlike waking state could be different to dreams during our sleep but I guess that could just be a matter of definition.

Thanks for your thoughts :)

I don't have knowledge of how the brain works, but it's commonly assumed that dreams are messages your subconscious self tries to tell you, and that they have a meaning. (now a little bit upset about a nightmare that someone I care had lately).

Hey, I think that dream analyse is important for ourselves and helps to understand our worries better. 

If I understood Freud correctly, he was telling that you should take a look on what happened on a day before the dream. Usually we in dream we see doings of previous day but they are depicted in completely another form. For example, you could hear word "fox" which in dream will transform into a real fox. So you need to remember what happened on a day before dream and try to find a reason why you have seen particular creature or scenery. In this way you will be able to understand what was the reason which caused your bad dreams. 

Lol first i Listen to music and just let myself emerge in it. Helps create the environment. If i do fall asleep and dream i tought myself over time to look for any signs or numbers, since in that state your brain cant produces those images very will in dreams. Once u notice i guess the best way to discribe the feeling is that your mind feels like theres an extensive reach from your body thats created in the dream and the area around you. I dont know why but the feeling comes from my spine, all the way up to the brain.

This looks a lot better then alcohol.

If you are interested in dreams and how they relate to our journey through life, I recommend that you pick up a copy of a book called Man and His Symbols, edited by C. G. Jung.

Dreams are a complex, bewildering, and sometimes overwhelming subject to discuss for me. But I have been sporadically recording my own dreams for more than 40 years, and at least in terms of personal growth, consider the "experiences" I've had in my dream life to be just as significant as those in my waking life. In Man and His Symbols, Jung and his colleagues attempt to explain in non-technical language why dreams can be so baffling and so fascinating, and how they form a most valuable source of self-knowledge.

HTH

I didn't even know this was something you could learn to do...dunno if I really believe you can control your dreams if you're truly in certain cycles of brain activity because conscious control has shut down but I'm not dismissing it out of hand.

I think maybe a dreamlike waking state could be different to dreams during our sleep but I guess that could just be a matter of definition.

Thanks for your thoughts :)

Hmm, I don't know if it is something that you could learn to do. I know I have controlled dreams before. An example is being attacked and suddenly changing the tables by flying or a weapon appears out of nowhere. LOL. Anyway, some of the older people in my family would spend time breaking down dreams and their meanings. If you dreamed of this, that  would happen. Blah blah, all that it amounted to were superstitions. I used to analyze my dreams but I don't anymore (won't get into it but some were really vivid. I had the whole sleep paralysis, waking from one dream and into another). They are not as vivid as they used to be and I do not remember them most of the time, unless it is something really disturbing that sticks with me for a couple of days.

I do believe that sometimes they have meaning based on what is happening in life. I once dreamed that I was sitting on the porch talking with my dead grandmother. It was very vivid. We used to sit on the porch on Sundays drinking lemonade and talking. In my dream we were just swinging and talking. No lemonade, the sun beating down on our faces. It was peaceful.  I was going through a challenging time, was at a crossroads. She was someone I could always talk to. She had a way of telling you not what you wanted to hear but what you needed to hear. In that dream it was like I was talking to her. I thought about it. Some people would say that she was speaking to me in spirit form. I don't know if I believe that or if it was just that I had learned so much from her, that somehow I knew what I needed to do. I just needed to get it out somehow and really think it through. That dream helped me do that. The brain is complex, I do believe that a lot goes on in our subconscious that can sometimes come out through a dream.

As a chronic insomniac I have had this explained to me several times and it might help clear things up a little.

There are three main areas of our brain.

And three main types of sleep. The average sleep cycle belief it or not is just 90 mins on average.

During the drifting off phase your body is mostly just shutting down to rest and ur brain activity lessens.

Next comes the non-REM sleep. During non-REM sleep The grey matter (or cerebral cortex) can no longer associate with other parts of the brain (white matter) dreams at this time are less complex or boring . They cover mundane activities such as those u experience everyday. Like if you've ever dreamt of doing laundry or driving ur car to work. It's important to help you file and store information that yu have already learnt even if it was long ago.

The final period of sleep is known as REM sleep. It’s the time when you're almost awake again.

In rem sleep  the grey matter becomes active again,  communicating with other parts of ur brain. The brain is as active as when u are awake.  It is at this point that our brains create narratives that last around 30 minutes. Your most   realistic , most sexual and most emotional dreams occur here.

During this time the brain sorts through information that we received while we were awake. Like a filing system it sorts it into useful; memories and memories we can forget or supress. This is the time our bodies deal with many emotions that the waking body isn't ready to handle, we create scenarios for us to test those emotions in a way that feels real. People who cant experience REM sleep are more likely to develop other psychiatric disorders as the intake of information and emotions (that aren't being filed) become over cluttered in a sense. Good dreams and nightmares are all a way of testing what we have learnt in a safe environment.

Even during normal REM sleep a small part of ur brain called the prefrontal cortex however stays dormant. Basically this area  is responsible for planning. Rem dreams can be weird for this reason.. Ur brain cant plan or anticipate what will happen next. you have no control over anything you see.

During REM sleep sometimes this small area activates and can even be called to activate as these testimonies in this thread show. This is called Lucid Dreaming. We are able to influence our dreams at this point. This influence may be as small as just knowing we are asleep or being aware what is likely to happen in the next minute of our current dream. With practice a person regains more control over the narrative of the dream. Skilled lucid dreamers have been said to use their dream time to do some profound things such as self healing from diseases and astral travel , but that's probably discussion for another thread.

rem-sleep-gif-o.gif

Hope I helped and didn't bore you to sleep