3DXChat Community

Fyrefly

Fine, maybe I'm suddenly nuts...I wouldn't put it past 2020 to turn me completely barking mad just for a lark...but is something busted in the coordinates system for the World Editor?

I could have sworn that if I created an object and used the Transform Tool to declare exact position of X0, Y0, Z0, that the object's center would lay at the intersection of all three vertices. Suddenly, a new object created and dropped at 0,0,0 is NOT at dead center. If all of the Rotation fields are set to 0,0,0 the object will be split 50/50 above and below the Y axis, but X and Z are still out of alignment. The default rotation of X=270 rests the object on top of the grid. This is based on my grid Y height being set to 0, and my grid scale being set to 1 meter.

In the example attached, all of my settings are at default except for ocean level, which I keep at 0 rather than the default -1. I prefer to start all of my projects from Zero Point, and will zero out any objects I get from share sites to make it easier to find them when building. It's also useful for building items that need exact proportions. Obviously, this isn't a deal killer for using the editor...it just means that now when building I have to do math...and I HATE math...

So am I the only one seeing this, or this there some other strange voodoo going on? Please share your thoughts...

Thanks!

Lazlo

2020-09-25_16-49-09_143240.thumb.png.62093d5e9f8b639d716ae0a3b9091844.png

Nope,

The pivot point of the sphere is not in the center of gravity of the object. But at the base of the object. Do not confuse the pivot point of the object (grid anchor point with the center point).

If you want to center a sphere at point 0, you will have to create 1 1/8 of a sphere and make 8 symetries in pivot snap leng = 1

1 hour ago, TheJoy said:

Nope,

The pivot point of the sphere is not in the center of gravity of the object. But at the base of the object. Do not confuse the pivot point of the object (grid anchor point with the center point).

If you want to center a sphere at point 0, you will have to create 1 1/8 of a sphere and make 8 symetries in pivot snap leng = 1

correct answer 

4 hours ago, TheJoy said:

Nope,

Does that only apply to spheres, though? When it was working correctly, I could drop in a 1 meter square prim at 0,0,0 and have it divided equally a half meter positive and negative along each axis. Also, I thought the position of the object along your grid was independent of the gizmo view of Center or Pivot?

11 hours ago, Fyrefly said:

Does that only apply to spheres, though? When it was working correctly, I could drop in a 1 meter square prim at 0,0,0 and have it divided equally a half meter positive and negative along each axis. Also, I thought the position of the object along your grid was independent of the gizmo view of Center or Pivot?

As long as I can remember, hanging with space bar or shift + space bar has always worked with the pivot point of an object.