3DXChat Community

Changing the 3DXChat folder (settings, screenshots) location

MiaSub

Hello everyone!

I've been trying to figure out how to change the location of 3DXChat folder which contains Settings and Screenshots files, but no one seems to have asked that here.

Right now the folder is in My Documents. Removing it to somewhere else doesn't help since a new one emerges in the same place again upon opening a settings menu in-game or taking a screenshot. This is a folder separate from the one that contains game assets and its code - the one I'm describing only has 2 folders inside: Settings and Screenshots. 

In other words, the folder that you are being redirected to when clicking a respective button in the screenshot overlay in-game is not where I want it to be. Is there a way to assign it to some other location?

Thank! <3

1. Download script from attachment (source code below in case you or your anti-virus software might be worried):

@echo off
set /p "folder=Drag and drop your real folder here: "
mklink /J "3DXChat" %folder%

2. Place downloaded script in Documents or My Documents folder (that part is very important).

3. Move 3DXChat folder from Documents to anywhere you want.

4. Run script.

5. Drag and drop previously moved folder from new location directly into window which will be open by script.

6. Enjoy new screenshots location.

This is not perfect solution but at least useful workaround. You still will see 3DXChat folder in Documents as a symbolic link/shortcut but screenshots won't take space from OS drive anymore.

If you'd like to reverse those settings simply delete symbolic link folder created by script from your Documents folder then bring back actual, original folder in its place.

Make symlink for 3DXChat.bat

Edited by StellaXOXO

On 8/26/2020 at 7:51 PM, StellaXOXO said:

1. Download script from attachment (source code below in case you or your anti-virus software might be worried):

@echo off
set /p "folder=Drag and drop your real folder here: "
mklink /J "3DXChat" %folder%

2. Place downloaded script in Documents or My Documents folder (that part is very important).

3. Move 3DXChat folder from Documents to anywhere you want.

4. Run script.

5. Drag and drop previously moved folder from new location directly into window which will be open by script.

6. Enjoy new screenshots location.

This is not perfect solution but at least useful workaround. You still will see 3DXChat folder in Documents as a symbolic link/shortcut but screenshots won't take space from OS drive anymore.

If you'd like to reverse those settings simply delete symbolic link folder created by script from your Documents folder then bring back actual, original folder in its place.

Make symlink for 3DXChat.bat 96 B · 1 download

Thanks!

It's not exactly what I would have liked to do, just like you mentioned, but I'm sure this would be very useful for people searching information on the issue!

Sure, if the husband/wife/gf/bf/ use the same computer and they are ultra jealous, it's understandable to need to "hide" the screenshots lol. Though, if they check a bit the icons and see 3DXchat icon and clic on it, it would become useless :D