3DXChat Community

Why politics

TheDonald

I for the life of me really do not understand the need to put political views on profiles.  For that matter in the  game period.  Unless its a room expressly title for it in which i will stay the hell away from it.  Its not a "Hater" thing that's just a justification people use in my view to elicit hate from others.  I don't know maybe i am just an old man rambling on about things i cant control, but let face it, yes the world would be Utopia if everyone was equal financial, social and racially.  However Human nature being what it is it will not matter the system of government that is being practiced it will never be a perfect world there will always be haves and have not, not being a pessimist mind you just being a realist.  Well that's my rant for now and not sure what reaction i will get but sure it will garner a few emotionally fueled responses. 

This perplexes me as well. While I of course have my political views, when I log on I leave them firmly in meat-space. The last thing I want to think about while giving head is if my partner shares my views about the city's latest zoning proposal.

First off, your comment surprises me a bit since you have called yourself "TheDonald".  When I first started on the game I had stated "Trump supporters need not apply." on my profile.  It certainly helped me weed out people I knew I'd not have anything in common with.  I still feel that way but have removed that statement since I stopped taking applications. lol  But in these days who you support politically really does sum up who they are.  So I understand completely why some put it on their profiles.  As long as it is not disrespectful I think it is fine.

Edited by SusanLouisa

It has gone beyond profiles too in rare occasions. 
I remember a room that proudly displayed a ‘Thin Blue Line’ Flag.

And I’ve heard about, but not personally seen, that there had been rooms with political statements included in the build. ‘MAGA’ wall art and such. 

I personally feel those have no place in 3DX but they’re impossible to enforce. 

When I run into rooms like that I just hop on over to the next. Left, right or center, IDGAF. I'm here to listen to music, talk to friends and to do unmentionable things. 

I know, these are some of the most polarizing times politically in a long time. I'm glad people are passionate about their cause and taking action. But it's okay to take a break for a few hours. The world will still be awful tomorrow.

41 minutes ago, Nektar said:

When I run into rooms like that I just hop on over to the next. Left, right or center, IDGAF. I'm here to listen to music, talk to friends and to do unmentionable things. 

I know, these are some of the most polarizing times politically in a long time. I'm glad people are passionate about their cause and taking action. But it's okay to take a break for a few hours. The world will still be awful tomorrow.

Rooms, yes. Easy to identify and avoid.  People not so much. I remember dating a man on another site who informed me, a few months into the relationship, that he was a white supremist. He told me how his grandfather had figured out a way to keep certain people from sticking to the walls of the ovens by lining the walls with a different type of people....and he was laughing as he said it.  I was so offended that offended did not even qualify.  These types of people walk amongst us and I prefer to weed them out of my circle.  I don't need to discuss politics with everyone I meet but I sure am a bit more careful about who I hang with since then.

Edited by SusanLouisa

9 hours ago, Nektar said:

Oh my God :( I don't know what to say @SusanLouisa I won't fault you for being careful about who you interact with.

Yes, but sadly it takes talking politics in order to find out.  However, those discussions should be private. Not in WC or in public rooms.  I can't begin to tell you how long it was till I felt I had washed him off of me or purged myself of him and his words.  I felt so disgusted....ugh just no words for it.  To some it might be "Just Politics" but to me it is much more.  It does not require a long in depth discussion....just enough for both parties entering a potential relationship to be sure about the person they are with. 

Sadly 'values' all to often get confused (and excused) by 'politics'.  To me important values are tolerance, acceptance, inclusion, diversity, learning, understanding, celebrating differences, etc etc. These things define who I am, what I believe and influence my politic choices when combined with opinion on economic models.  But what I often see is people expressing vastly different values and doing so in the name of politics.  E.g. I am an 'xxx party' follower therefore I hate..., I despise..., I exclude..., etc.  Few mainstream parties actually really stand for those extreme views.  I think what is really happening here is people are expressing their values of intolerance, exclusion, isolation, bigotry, etc , and using the name of politics to hide behind in an attempt to give legitimacy to extremism.  Not helped of course when political leaders demonstrate the very same values.

...and why it is so important for successful personal relationships to be founded on shared values (not necessarily shared political beliefs).

Edited by Leopardus

Hmmm think i see problem with my rant.  Forgot people actually come here to make a "Connection" not just for distraction and escapism.  And really a name means that much to you hmmm interesting.  To be honest the name was like my 5th or 6th avatar and well no one under 40 had a sense of humor at the time imagine that.  Oh the profile is nothing like the original it bombed but hell its just a name when all is said and done.  In the 5 yrs i have had the name i have seen way more offensive names and they get no flack.  But your right your profile did keep me from approaching so in the end your method worked for you Kudos.  Guess it was a night like to nite where i am tired and let things that normally I dont give a tinkers Dam about get to me but only to a point.  Hmm i am trailing of here with all this so TTFN.

This issue isn't exclusive to 3DX though.

Before social media and "playgrounds" like 3dx were readily available, we only knew people's political convictions as long as they were friends, co-workers or family. And that made it somewhat easier to deal with, because there was a deeper / more intimate connection in the first place. Now we roam a world, where complete strangers have their worldview on display for everyone to see. That naturally triggers responses we'd normally avoid, because it can be tempting to go after people, as long as they're faceless pixels we'll never meet in the real world. It's always been easier to yell at strangers.

And a certain amount of people sadly exhibit the attitude of "If I yell at you, that's criticism - if you yell at me, that's hatespeech"

Another element, that comes into play, is the fact that society in general is more or less obsessed with the idea of looking at said strangers and asking ourselves "What about that individual could potentially offend me?" I wish we could hit that reset-button and return to a world, where we are mostly occupied with just minding our own business. 

But I guess the go-to method is still just trying to avoid interactions with rooms & individuals that display a worldview one might find "problematic" or "offensive". You might not agree with how these people see the world, but it's their subscription-given right to enjoy themselves here, just like everyone else ;) 

Edited by lePatrick

On 9/8/2020 at 2:31 PM, Hikikomori said:

If people can't accept that someone else is from another political side, then they are dumb.

It's the same with religion, sex or race, you HAVE TO accept that the other is different than you. If you don't, then you are just an extremist.

I agree to a point. 
However I am not about to interact with someone whose beliefs are upsetting to me. 

Personal example. 
I had a friend who I had a lot of fun with over the course of a year, but then it turned out she was an avid supporter of a certain President whose policies I Strongly disagree with. 
She was very vocal about praising him during some heated arguments and that made me (and a few of my friends) decide to cut her out of our social circle. 
I still say Hi when greeted, but I can no longer say she is a friend or even someone I like. 
By supporting a politician that hurt people I care about, she became part of the problem. 
Hope that makes sense. 

11 minutes ago, Hikikomori said:

No, no sense to me.

Because you were friend with that person for who she was, for how you feel around her, not for her political/religious/sexual/... views. Why looking for the acceptance of your friendship by the others ? It's you who are friend with her, not the other. If the other don't accept that, it's because they are not real friends. If she accepts that you are a democrat, then you also have to accept that she is a republican. Tolerance is a 2 way street.

I don't say that to be rude, just saying my point of view, that if you are upset because she has a different opinion, then for me you're a soft skin who don't accept difference. For me it's the same that not wanting to be around someone because he's white, black, straight, gay, religious or not having an imaginary friend, 15 toes or 3.

I'm a right wing in my country, straight and atheist, and are friend with a left wing man, and an homosexual and big into religion girl. Why ? Because I don't care and they don't care about our difference of opinions, we respect each other when we argue about that points.

My tolerance stops where others are damaged. And only a stupid Trump voter could claim that he does not harm a whole country, if not the whole world.

7 hours ago, Hikikomori said:

No, no sense to me.

Because you were friend with that person for who she was, for how you feel around her, not for her political/religious/sexual/... views. Why looking for the acceptance of your friendship by the others ? It's you who are friend with her, not the other. If the other don't accept that, it's because they are not real friends. If she accepts that you are a democrat, then you also have to accept that she is a republican. Tolerance is a 2 way street.

I don't say that to be rude, just saying my point of view, that if you are upset because she has a different opinion, then for me you're a soft skin who don't accept difference. For me it's the same that not wanting to be around someone because he's white, black, straight, gay, religious or not having an imaginary friend, 15 toes or 3.

I'm a right wing in my country, straight and atheist, and are friend with a left wing man, and an homosexual and big into religion girl. Why ? Because I don't care and they don't care about our difference of opinions, we respect each other when we argue about that points.

Right wing to me has always represented hate.  I don't hate those of different religions or skin colors or genders. I do not find those who hate attractive or fun. I will not be friends with those who hate.  Period. Our president supports the KKK and the KKK supports him. 

Edited by SusanLouisa

7 hours ago, Hikikomori said:

No, no sense to me.

We disagree on this, indeed.
It wasn't about Republican or Democrat, heck that's not applicable to me, as I'm not even American like she was.
She voted for a guy, and praised a guy as being the 'greatest president in history', a guy that has literally cost me a friend by way of his Politics.
By actively praising this guy, she shows that she supported his politics, thus supported him.
Which to me, personally makes her either an idiot, or a true believer.
And thus she cannot be my friend any longer, as her Beliefs, Her Choice, is counter to MY beliefs.
I'm not trying to explain myself, not even sure why I'm responding to you.
Probably bored, eh I dunno.

Have a nice life.

Honestly talking about politics is at least partly banned under the games rules including in private messages.

2.17. Discussion of social, religious, political, illegal or other controversial topics that may create offense is prohibited. This includes but is not limited to negative portrayal of religious and political figures is prohibited.

Edited by Niblette