3DXChat Community

Room Name Filter

Derai

Room Name Filter  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Automatically Filter offensive/upsetting terms from being used in Room Names

1 hour ago, curiousret said:

Unity actually has a Bad Word Filter and works again 25 languages.

No Filter will be 100%.  As has been pointed out by many, determined, umm "people" will go to great lengths to circumvent.  This is the same as a lock on your door, it will help keep the general bad people out, not the determined ones.

I do wonder about the 3 people who voted "No", and if they have any rational thinking behind that.

Derai, thanks for starting this thread and discussion.

Gizmo, thanks for giving it consideration.

I hope they will not block all "bad" words though.

In my opinion there is nothing wrong to use for example a word "slut" in a sex game. Even in a room name.

What should be blocked is stuff related to extreme/dark areas like: rape, underage, child, abuse, n-word, f-word and other words like that.

It all starts with room names, then it will be "words" that are typed in world chat... and after that who knows, so many different words can be deemed "offensive" to many different kind of people...

Once you start exercising control over what others can say or not then there is no way to know where it will stop, censorship was never a solution, it just hides the issues, it doesn't solve them.  Also if you get that seriously triggered by a word... then you might have bigger issues to take care of than wanting to police the words other people use.

The report system we currently have might not be perfect, but it works, which is why the owner of that rape room ya'll were crying so much about was SUCCESSFULLY BANNED.

That's gonna be a big fat NO from me, because I think it's important to preserve the ability to fully express yourself and yes that includes you and people I might completely disagree with to be able to express themselves without having to worry about what words they can or cannot use. Blocking one's ability to freely speak is the weapon dictators and tyrants use to keep their victims from ever being heard... think twice before you wish something.

Just now, Rondon said:

It all starts with room names, then it will be "words" that are typed in world chat... and after that who knows, so many different words can be deemed "offensive" to many different kind of people...

Once you start exercising control over what others can say or not then there is no way to know where it will stop, censorship was never a solution, it just hides the issues, it doesn't solve them.  Also if you get that seriously triggered by a word... then you might have bigger issues to take care of than wanting to police the words other people use.

The report system we currently have might not be perfect, but it works, which is why the owner of that rape room ya'll were crying so much about was SUCCESSFULLY BANNED.

That's gonna be a big fat NO from me, because I think it's important to preserve the ability to fully express yourself and yes that includes you and people I might completely disagree with to be able to express themselves without having to worry about what words they can or cannot use. Blocking one's ability to freely speak is the weapon dictators and tyrants use to keep their victims from ever being heard... think twice before you wish something.

Sorry, but this argument doesn't work.
3DXchat -already- has a System in place that monitors words and phrases in ALL chats. And this system Automatically Bans people when it finds some flagged words.

The report system now is REACTING to problems. So it's to late by that point, people are already upset, drama erupts and the Devs get swamped with reports and complaints.
The Filter system would PREVENT problems before they get out of hand like last weekend, where it took 2 DAYS, for a room with several hundred Reports against it, to be pulled down.

Furthermore, the Free Speech argument is also a non-starter.
3DX is not a Nation, the Devs are not a Government. They are a Business and they have set up rules.
Some words, phrases, and terms are not allowed to be used in Player Names or Room Names, and it is stated as such in the Terms Of Service that we all Agreed on when we made our accounts in this game.
And thus it is fully within their right to Filter said words from their game in accordance with the aforementioned Terms and Conditions.

23 minutes ago, Rondon said:

Don't complain, when there was ingame moderators, the word "black" in the name was forbiden by the moderatrors. 

One of my friends called his avatar "BlackMamba" and one of the moderator asked him to cancel his avatar and create another without the word "Black" in the name :)

1 minute ago, Derai said:

Sorry, but this argument doesn't work.
3DXchat -already- has a System in place that monitors words and phrases in ALL chats. And this system Automatically Bans people when it finds some flagged words.

The report system now is REACTING to problems. So it's to late by that point, people are already upset, drama erupts and the Devs get swamped with reports and complaints.
The Filter system would PREVENT problems before they get out of hand like last weekend, where it took 2 DAYS, for a room with several hundred Reports against it, to be pulled down.

Furthermore, the Free Speech argument is also a non-starter.
3DX is not a Nation, the Devs are not a Government. They are a Business and they have set up rules.
Some words, phrases, and terms are not allowed to be used in Player Names or Room Names, and it is stated as such in the Terms Of Service that we all Agreed on when we made our accounts in this game.
And thus it is fully within their right to Filter said words from their game in accordance with the aforementioned Terms and Conditions.

Aight I get ya, makes more sense now, you convinced me, I even gonna go further and go ahead to ask that the following words be added to that list, cause they trigger me real bad and actually makes me suffer every time I read them.

Here is my list: Cunt, cock, rod, whore, slut, sissy, futa, pussy, spitroasted, gangbang, orgy, horny, lewd, filthy, bitch, sex, love-making, cunnilingus, blowjob, rimjob, oral sex, vagina, gender, gagging, swallowing, penis, bull, tits, nipples, weiner, dildo...

I think you get my point?

I know the devs can already control what we can say in their game and what we can't we all know what words are forbidden to say already, but that is up until now mostly been limited to names of a certain website that we should not talk about that offers some kind of alternative to 3dxchat, though I disagree the way the devs are controlling these kind of things and understand they can do whatever they want with the game doesn't mean I can't express my opposition to it.

It took 2 days to ban the player that opened that room that triggered you, so what? The user was banned yes? That means it WORKS. And lets be real most of the people did not cared about that room, it was one of the most visited rooms during the whole time it was opened I would argue it was successful until the owner got banned. Do you have any proof that there were more than hundreds of players reporting that room? Because I highly doubt it. Show me the proof.

You don't get to decide what words are offensive to others, you don't got the moral right or enlightenment to do so. I stand by my vote, this is a bad idea.

1 minute ago, Rondon said:

You don't get to decide what words are offensive to others, you don't got the moral right or enlightenment to do so. I stand by my vote, this is a bad idea.

You are absolutely right.
I don't decide.
This does.

Certain content for names, avatars, images/video, signatures & clan logos, have no place on the 3DXCHAT forums or within the 3DXCHAT game, due to their extremely offensive, annoying or inappropriate nature. The following list is only a summary, but it gives some idea of names, images, signatures, avatars and clan logos which are not accepted with the 3DXCHAT environment:

Names, Avatars, Images/Video, Signatures & Clan logos ....

3.01 that contain profanity, including its abbreviated form.
3.02 that contain insults, personal attacks, abuse or harassment.
3.03 that contain unprintable words or abbreviations, or which are unattractive and/or unreadable.
3.04 which either in whole or partly contain copyrighted or registered trade mark elements.
3.05 which have (in any way) racist or nationalistic implications which may create offense to a certain nation, ethnic, religious or racial group.
3.06 that contain an allusion of racial or national supremacy, as well as discriminative propaganda on any level.
3.07 which contain insults or derogatory comments based on race, nationality, religion, culture, mental stature, sex, or sexual preference
3.08 which have an association with pedophilia, sexual abuse; or have an offensive connection to the human body or bodily functions.
3.09 which contain content that is otherwise deemed inappropriate.
3.10 which contain excessive gore or violence, or are obscene/vulgar.
3.11 which make reference to addictive or illegal substances or their use, or any other illegal activities.
3.12 that contain Logotypes, symbols, emblems or figures connected in one way or another with organizations, that violate or were violating existing laws and rules; i.e. anything that may provoke strong negative reaction/association or promote national/ethnic/religious hatred. (For example, using different variations of Nazi symbolic, abridgments and signs [88, 14, 420, SS], or similar stylizing [such as, 55] as well as credentials, names and surnames of Nazi leaders.)
3.13 that contain reference to current mainstream religions that may create offense, i.e. names such as God, Jesus, Allah, etc.
3.14 that are connected with negative historical or political personalities, first of all those who are judged by international courts for crimes against humanity, those that generally arouse feelings of suffering or disgust in the majority of people, as well as members of currently existing terrorist organizations;
3.15 that negatively portrays the projects staff, or administration.
3.16 which in any other manner violates the End User License Agreement or local laws.

....... either implicitly or explicitly are prohibited (This also contains links to websites containing the above). If names (player or clan), avatars, signatures, images/video, clan logos within the forums or within the game violate these rules the offending account may be changed and/or the accounts may be sanctioned or suspended. Moreover, the administration reserves the right to delete, update or modify any names (player or rooms) and avatars, images or clan images which are considered inappropriate on the forums or within the game environment.

12 minutes ago, Derai said:

You are absolutely right.
I don't decide.
This does.

Certain content for names, avatars, images/video, signatures & clan logos, have no place on the 3DXCHAT forums or within the 3DXCHAT game, due to their extremely offensive, annoying or inappropriate nature. The following list is only a summary, but it gives some idea of names, images, signatures, avatars and clan logos which are not accepted with the 3DXCHAT environment:

Names, Avatars, Images/Video, Signatures & Clan logos ....

3.01 that contain profanity, including its abbreviated form.
3.02 that contain insults, personal attacks, abuse or harassment.
3.03 that contain unprintable words or abbreviations, or which are unattractive and/or unreadable.
3.04 which either in whole or partly contain copyrighted or registered trade mark elements.
3.05 which have (in any way) racist or nationalistic implications which may create offense to a certain nation, ethnic, religious or racial group.
3.06 that contain an allusion of racial or national supremacy, as well as discriminative propaganda on any level.
3.07 which contain insults or derogatory comments based on race, nationality, religion, culture, mental stature, sex, or sexual preference
3.08 which have an association with pedophilia, sexual abuse; or have an offensive connection to the human body or bodily functions.
3.09 which contain content that is otherwise deemed inappropriate.
3.10 which contain excessive gore or violence, or are obscene/vulgar.
3.11 which make reference to addictive or illegal substances or their use, or any other illegal activities.
3.12 that contain Logotypes, symbols, emblems or figures connected in one way or another with organizations, that violate or were violating existing laws and rules; i.e. anything that may provoke strong negative reaction/association or promote national/ethnic/religious hatred. (For example, using different variations of Nazi symbolic, abridgments and signs [88, 14, 420, SS], or similar stylizing [such as, 55] as well as credentials, names and surnames of Nazi leaders.)
3.13 that contain reference to current mainstream religions that may create offense, i.e. names such as God, Jesus, Allah, etc.
3.14 that are connected with negative historical or political personalities, first of all those who are judged by international courts for crimes against humanity, those that generally arouse feelings of suffering or disgust in the majority of people, as well as members of currently existing terrorist organizations;
3.15 that negatively portrays the projects staff, or administration.
3.16 which in any other manner violates the End User License Agreement or local laws.

....... either implicitly or explicitly are prohibited (This also contains links to websites containing the above). If names (player or clan), avatars, signatures, images/video, clan logos within the forums or within the game violate these rules the offending account may be changed and/or the accounts may be sanctioned or suspended. Moreover, the administration reserves the right to delete, update or modify any names (player or rooms) and avatars, images or clan images which are considered inappropriate on the forums or within the game environment.

Do not kid yourself, if the moderators actually followed these rules to the letter then a lot of people frequently hosting rooms would be banned, the mods are probably smarter than what you give them credit for and know that things are not black and white.

Coming back to the situation that caused you to have this bad idea... they saw what was happening and decided it was worth a ban. My point still stand, the current system WORKS. If they had failed to ban the player then you could argue is not good, but it didn't.

I get that you are suggestion this maybe with a good intention. But if you really cared about people that may have gotten triggered by that word or hurt by it, then maybe you should stop shoving the subject again and again in their face in the forums since the last few days. This is all I have to say in this matter, my vote remains a no, I am not convinced about this suggestion and I firmly oppose it.

1 minute ago, Rondon said:

Do not kid yourself, if the moderators actually followed these rules to the letter then a lot of people frequently hosting rooms would be banned, the mods are probably smarter than what you give them credit for and know that things are not black and white.

Coming back to the situation that caused you to have this bad idea... they saw what was happening and decided it was worth a ban. My point still stand, the current system WORKS. If they had failed to ban the player then you could argue is not good, but it didn't.

I get that you are suggestion this maybe with a good intention. But if you really cared about people that may have gotten triggered by that word or hurt by it, then maybe you should stop shoving the subject again and again in their face in the forums since the last few days. This is all I have to say in this matter, my vote remains a no, I am not convinced about this suggestion and I firmly oppose it.

I get where you are coming from.
And I respect your view on this.
Ultimately it's not up to any of us to decide.
That rests with @Gizmo

All I did here, was to offer a Suggestion, and offered it up for a Vote.
We're having a civil discussion about this and we can agree to disagree.
That's the beauty of Free Speech right there no?

You are free and entitled to your opinion.
Same as me with my viewpoint.

40 minutes ago, Rondon said:

Aight I get ya, makes more sense now, you convinced me, I even gonna go further and go ahead to ask that the following words be added to that list, cause they trigger me real bad and actually makes me suffer every time I read them.

Here is my list: Cunt, cock, rod, whore, slut, sissy, futa, pussy, spitroasted, gangbang, orgy, horny, lewd, filthy, bitch, sex, love-making, cunnilingus, blowjob, rimjob, oral sex, vagina, gender, gagging, swallowing, penis, bull, tits, nipples, weiner, dildo...

I think you get my point?

I don't think that this is about what triggers personally you or me, or Derai. 

Yes, everyone of us can have personal triggers. 

But do you see a lot of drama on forum or in world chat about BBC, gagnbang, slut, orgy, sissy, futa rooms? 

I don't. But the rape room have put the forum on fire. WC probably too, I did not check the WC these days myself, but heard that there was drama as well. Rape room did not trigger just a few people, it triggered a large part of community. Threads about this room would still have drama in it probably if they would not be deleted. 

Shamelessly bumping the thread because the topic was broached in another thread recently. 

I thought of a good analogy for this idea. 

There’s a sign on the grass saying Stay of the grass but people just walk on the grass anyway. 

Lets put a fence around the grass, so people can’t walk on the grass. 
The fence just makes it so people Stay of the grass

Which was the rule anyhow.

Of course people will find ways to climb the fence, but nobody can say they accidentally stepped on the grass if they had to climb a fence to get there. 

People will argue that walking on the grass is no big deal. But the sign already said Stay of the grass.

It’s not our grass, and we didn’t put the sign there.

1 hour ago, Leathium said:

The current system is fine leave it alone. No one cares if you have a lazy finger to scroll down.

Not sure I understand what you’re getting at here. 
How does scrolling down relate to someone using terms in a room name that are against the TOS?

22 minutes ago, Leopardus said:

Is another approach to this is to give users the ability to mark a room as "ignore" so that it no longer appears in their room list?

That would also be a good idea yes.
Would basically have the same result in practice.

5 hours ago, Derai said:

That would also be a good idea yes.
Would basically have the same result in practice.

It would put the power into the hands of the user to filter what they find offensive, or not wanted to be seen for any other reason...like cold only rooms...futa rooms...BBC/BWC rooms...brothals...hide and seek rooms...friendly chat rooms...dance rooms...beautiful tropical island rooms...whatever you don't like rooms!

1 hour ago, Leopardus said:

It would put the power into the hands of the user to filter what they find offensive, or not wanted to be seen for any other reason...like cold only rooms...futa rooms...BBC/BWC rooms...brothals...hide and seek rooms...friendly chat rooms...dance rooms...beautiful tropical island rooms...whatever you don't like rooms!

Think only difference is ignore system as been a little wonky in terms of working effectively, not sure it be possible to implement in a way where it wont cause issues compared to a autofilter. Since with ignore some may eventually change their mind on a room they originally ignored, then be asking to have options of getting it unignored which I imagine can be kinda hard to do in practice leave a option to undo it especially if rooms close and open. Also leave question if ignore should stay if room closes and reopen, which may also make it hard to regret a ignore if it's going to be account wide.

Another question would be if it was made as ignored system, would it them also ignore all room person make or just that specific room. I see so many ways that implementing it as ignore would work much worse than a filter for room titles. But then again I am not programmer so what do I know 😄