3DXChat Community

Room Name Filter

Derai

Room Name Filter  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Automatically Filter offensive/upsetting terms from being used in Room Names

As the title says. 
A filter for the Room Names. 
Try to name your room anything that uses specific offensive words or terms. (Rape/Underage/etc.)

And the Interface just doesn’t allow you to share the room to public. Keeps the button inactive. 

This has to be possible from a technical standpoint because the server already filters and auto-bans specific words in chats. 

Edited by Derai

totally agree.. yes its a game but some people takes it beyond being a place for human... 

offensive, over violence, pedophile or anything related to it or similar should be banned..

those are not fun..  those are crimes

Edited by salemalex

Voting yes, kinda tired of having this discussion if it should be allowed or not everytime one those rooms get taken down. Devs already made it clear they don't tolerate it so see no point dancing about the discussion repeatedly. Think auto filter will save much of that for room titles, do I agree that word should be taken out of PMs or local chat I dunno.

Also think allowing titles that border at what be considered illegal activities in RL if fantasies are lived out there(which they may or may not), then I think it opens a doorway to what becomes acceptable for room titles. Creating even more debate and heated discussion if whatever room title is used next, I think policies devs put in place are good and what allows for this platform to exist. Allowing a door to where grey zone goes for titles is going to drive away payment providers as well as customers I think, we already saw it with paypal. Patreon changing policies on beastility and incest for adult games after pressure and paypal threatening to leave, I think naughty machinima suffered a lot of with finding advertising and sponsoring too due to content they allow, Rule34 had almost anything go but ended eventually banning Loli. I just think needs to be a line somewhere if you start going into grey of what acceptable outside consensual private RP or activities. It opens a flood game to discussion of how far rules can be pushed, I think it will make many customers leave if they see many extreme titled rooms.

If some solution can be come up with where you have auto filtered titles out like "R" word and user can put those filters to active if they wanna go or see those places, maybe there is some compromise in that. But still probably leave discussion open for where line goes for what is allowed then.

Edited by KimmyFox

I support this idea. If chats can be monitored for specific phrases and game names then I think it's perfectly possible to filter room names as well. Both specific phrases and variations / anagrams of them could be filtered. It would be much clearer for everyone what name they can and cannot give to their rooms and it wouldn't lead to any misunderstanding.

Edited by GaborX

18 minutes ago, ☙𝔼𝕩❧ said:

Support it 👍 It only still have to establish the list of names. I hope that things like "Jesus" or  "Marijuana" will not be in this list  ^_^

That would be up to the Devs to decide. 
The whole idea is to Prevent people from breaking the Game Rules on Room Names. 

It would save the Devs from a whole flood of reports and angry messages whenever someone opens a room with a name that upsets people. 

I don’t really see any downside to this myself. 
They want to enforce the rules, then this is a way to do so. And make it easy on themselves. 
Preventing instead of Responding. 

though it's maybe harder than it looks to do. Let me explain:

If they enter the word "rape" in the forbidden words in room names, they'll need to add to "viol" (french word for "rape"), and also the russian, spannish, italian , etc... word for this word.

Also if a french want to call their room "Salon du fromage rapé" the game must be able to différenciate as it don't mean "event of raped cheese" ("fromage rapé" is the strings of cheese you put on pizzas)

1 hour ago, Leeloo said:

though it's maybe harder than it looks to do. Let me explain:

If they enter the word "rape" in the forbidden words in room names, they'll need to add to "viol" (french word for "rape"), and also the russian, spannish, italian , etc... word for this word.

Also if a french want to call their room "Salon du fromage rapé" the game must be able to différenciate as it don't mean "event of raped cheese" ("fromage rapé" is the strings of cheese you put on pizzas)

I see what you mean. 
But how often in recent memory has there been a Russian or French room with offensive words in the name?

Most of the outcry has been about the English words because most rooms are opened with English Names.

Personally I’d say that for instance that French Cheese room is out of luck. 
It’s a very low possibility that anyone would open a French Cheese room so. Yeah...

Just some notice to tell you a part of your room title isn't allowed publicly when you try to make it public would be enough.

Adding this to the game shouldn't take long. When you click on "Open for all", you just have to check if the text entered in the room name input contains a word listed as banned, if so you stop right here and display a message to say "Your room name contains offended word, name it otherwise".

var fordbidden = ['Rape', 'Scat','Snuff','Child','Underage'];

var RoomName=document.getElementById('room_name_input').value;

for (var i = 0; i < fordbidden.length; i++) {

if (RoomName.indexOf(fordbidden[ i ]) > -1) {

alert("The word "+fordbidden[ i ]+" can't be used in a public room name.");

return false; // Prevent the room to be opened

}

}

Something like that in whatever language they use.

Edited by GottaGo

9 minutes ago, HazyRays said:

You'd still be able to report the room and host as you do now for those.

A filter wont stop someone who's determined, it will just make it a bit harder and remove any doubt as to whether they only intended to open a cheese room.

Well on that note it will kinda make it harder for them to make excuses then too, if they intentionally had to circumvent system and rules to do than otherwise.

2 hours ago, Diana Prince said:

I'm all for it, too.
But how about the technical aspect? How effectife can a filter be, I mean there are limitless variations of how to write something.
For example "_r*a**p_e^^^^".

I think if someone goes to those lengths to create a room using any format to circumvent the room name filter .. the account holder needs to be permanently banned / terminated.

It's one thing to post something or act in a way when the rules are not clearly defined (for example the recent advertising issue in WC) .. but when you blatantly go against them .. No pity.

1 hour ago, Stellania said:

I think if someone goes to those lengths to create a room using any format to circumvent the room name filter .. the account holder needs to be permanently banned / terminated.

It's one thing to post something or act in a way when the rules are not clearly defined (for example the recent advertising issue in WC) .. but when you blatantly go against them .. No pity.

That's not exactly what I meant. I meant the problem that there can't be an "automatic filter". That room would have to be reported manually to the devs.
And that's not different to what we have now (= no improvement).

And what about a room name like "Diana's Dance Club, rape forbidden". An automatic filter would immediately ban me.
Don't understand me wrong, I'm just brainstorming here to find a workable solution to it.

11 minutes ago, Diana Prince said:

That's not exactly what I meant. I meant the problem that there can't be an "automatic filter". That room would have to be reported manually to the devs.
And that's not different to what we have now (= no improvement).

And what about a room name like "Diana's Dance Club, rape forbidden". An automatic filter would immediately ban me.
Don't understand me wrong, I'm just brainstorming here to find a workable solution to it.

No you would not be punished. 
The room would simply fail to open. 
You click Share to Public, and nothing happens except maybe a ‘Room Name includes forbidden words’ pop up. 

The filter would just block those terms so nobody ever has to report that room. 
Because it’ll be impossible to Open that room with that name. 

In the case of people going to extreme lengths to get around the Filter. Then yes. Those would need to be manually reported. 
But in that case a permanent ban would be justified. Because they cannot claim they did it by accident

Edited by Derai

3 minutes ago, Diana Prince said:

that would make sense, @Derai. An automatic ban would make matters worse, but if you just can't open the room, that would work.

I used the Automatic Ban system as an example in my opening post. 
Because it shows that the 3DX server Is capable of scanning and responding to specific words and such.

And as GottaGo posted above, there are ways to Code this idea. 
It is possible to do.  

And in my opinion would prevent a lot of drama. 
Not to mention save the Devs a Lot of work in the future. 
No more Riots in World Chat and hundreds of Reports to Lisa and Gizmo due to a room with an offensive name. 
If they simply cannot open with that name. 

30 minutes ago, Derai said:

No you would not be punished. 
The room would simply fail to open. 
You click Share to Public, and nothing happens except maybe a ‘Room Name includes forbidden words’ pop up. 

The filter would just block those terms so nobody ever has to report that room. 
Because it’ll be impossible to Open that room with that name. 

In the case of people going to extreme lengths to get around the Filter. Then yes. Those would need to be manually reported. 
But in that case a permanent ban would be justified. Because they cannot claim they did it by accident

Most likely it won't open and there will likely be a message popup like "One or more words used are in violation of our policies" or something along that lines I imagine.

9 minutes ago, KimmyFox said:

Most likely it won't open and there will likely be a message popup like "One or more words used are in violation of our policies" or something along that lines I imagine.

“This Room Name contains Restricted Words. Click Here for the Rules and Regulations.”

If they want to go fancy and include a link to the TOS 

Unity actually has a Bad Word Filter and works again 25 languages.

No Filter will be 100%.  As has been pointed out by many, determined, umm "people" will go to great lengths to circumvent.  This is the same as a lock on your door, it will help keep the general bad people out, not the determined ones.

I do wonder about the 3 people who voted "No", and if they have any rational thinking behind that.

Derai, thanks for starting this thread and discussion.

Gizmo, thanks for giving it consideration.