3DXChat Community

World Editor - loading file ignores ocean level

Apologies if this is either already known, or should be in the World Editor forum (that looked to be more for tips & sharing).

When I load a .world file with an ocean level not 0, the editor seems to ignore the value. If I immediately save the loaded file and look at the JSON, the ocean level in the file is 0. Thus, I need to remember to manually reset the ocean level every time I open the file in the editor.

In my case, I do this because the wave tips sometimes poke through my beach, and it's much easier to lower the ocean to -0.04m than to move hundreds of objects up by that much.

Edited by TylerMatthews

9 minutes ago, Meica said:

You can just mark your whole island and move it up a little bit. But right, it should be fixed also.

I tried that on a previous version of the island, and the editor did *not* seem to appreciate being asked to move so many objects at once. 😅

Certainly not the highest-priority item to take care of, but probably not a complicated one to knock out between bigger issues. :)

Not that I use the water often, but when I do I always build around it at the default because of this issue.

If trying to move your whole map up or down, there is a limit Ive found, not sure what it is but its there, a point where it cannot be moved no matter how long you wait. 

To get around this, you can use Step Snapping, set the value you wish, then move it in pieces, or in halves, depending on the layout of the map, its best to look down from above to do your grouping and try to draw your line through areas where theres not a lot of tightly grouped objects.

Edited by JenC

• 3 weeks later...

Ill post this again....maybs ya dont know this but before you exit your World Editor and LOAD tha Room tha very last click of tha mouse you should make is on your OCEAN LEVEL in SETTINGS and PRESS ENTER! Then dont click anything else except the Load World. Next time you load this .world file in World Editor tha Ocean Level will be where eet was last time you followed tha above procedure.

Every time you EXIT Editor follow this procedure or tha Ocean Level will revert to  0. Eets a pain but eet works.

• 3 years later...

Yep. MeiLing is right. You have to input the value to your non-zero ocean level every time you load it to "configure" something.

Which is why I "moved" my entire city of Ancient Rome a meter, last month, because I originally had my ocean level set to 1, not knowing a thing about this issue. Took me four days, because I wanted to do it methodically, not screw up with things I had grouped, or ungrouped. Pain in the ass, but it also allowed me to get rid of the water canals in the Cloaca Maxima, the sewers of Rome, and now it just takes in the ocean's water by default.

I had recently an issue with ocean level as I needed to raise it to bring it near my building (a downloaded world file I adapted to my needs).

As I was aware of the ongoing problems setting the ocean level, my first attempt was to select the whole building and move it down.

All I achieved was my laptop hanging and no movement at all (I'm talking about almost 20 000 objects).

After several unsuccessful attempts I remembered an Excel-based tool that has a "move" function but unfortunately it didn't work for me (I got a macro error, probably due to an Excel version mismatch).

Then I tried something more "radical"... I applied a formula to decrease all the Y-coordinates by the amount I needed to bring the building to ocean level... and it worked! That's the beauty of being an Excel-based tool.