3DXChat Community

Let's Talk KB

DJSpicySweetZ

The size is mostly made up from the amount of blocks used, its that simple.

There are some things that can bring up the count unknowingly, like a worn mouse double clicking and lag when copying items so you end up with a lot of duplicate items, you can check this by going around clicking and moving a lot of random items then using the undo tool.

Things like custom furinture when used a lot in a big room will start to add up quickly, so try and use the default furniture where possible on bigger places that have a lot of it.

Just try and use less blocks for the desired outcome, the more you play around with the builder, the better you get at it, especially from a design point, because thats where you will save a lot, by a design that needs less blocks but still looks good.

On 7/1/2020 at 11:48 PM, SpicySweet said:

I can't seem to keep my rooms under 3000kb. They are not super detailed either. How do you get the kb down and keep the look nice?

its very simple ill say that ...some ppl to build 4 walls might need 20 props some might need 4 :) 

what i mean is whatever u try build u have to optimize it in using the less possible amount of props 

On 7/1/2020 at 4:48 PM, SpicySweet said:

I can't seem to keep my rooms under 3000kb. They are not super detailed either. How do you get the kb down and keep the look nice?

Note that the number of items, not their size, is relevant. Each object in the room takes about the same amount of space in the file (location, rotation, scale, color), but a bigger item doesn't take more space than a smaller one.

And as JenC mentioned, accidental duplicate copies of things wastes space. I recently accidentally duplicated my entire world on top of itself, that sucked!

I made a little utility to find duplicate items in world files for myself (I'm a programmer), may push it out to a public website, though I think I saw there are other similar tools out there for this as well, though I'm not personally familiar with them.

33 minutes ago, MeiLing said:

There is still @chloe 's tool 

https://www.3dxchatsharing.com/tools

One of the most useful tool. by selecting your whole world, you can find out some "unwanted" objects... most often lost merged objects

Ahh, that's the one I'd heard of! I hadn't realized that existed before I made one. Should have figured I wasn't the first to think of it. :D

1 hour ago, TylerMatthews said:

Note that the number of items, not their size, is relevant. Each object in the room takes about the same amount of space in the file (location, rotation, scale, color), but a bigger item doesn't take more space than a smaller one.

And as JenC mentioned, accidental duplicate copies of things wastes space. I recently accidentally duplicated my entire world on top of itself, that sucked!

I made a little utility to find duplicate items in world files for myself (I'm a programmer), may push it out to a public website, though I think I saw there are other similar tools out there for this as well, though I'm not personally familiar with them.

u made a mistake here a example a 10x10 m cube with a texture isnt same file size with a 50x50 m cube with same texture :) 

22 minutes ago, Aliviax said:

u made a mistake here a example a 10x10 m cube with a texture isnt same file size with a 50x50 m cube with same texture :) 

A 10x10 cube with a texture should take up as much room (in the file) as a 99x99 cube! Even a 1000x1000 cube should be about the same file size. Making an object bigger will have almost no effect on the file size. The file just tells the game how big to make it, like a recipe. The game itself has to deal with the ingredients. :)

8 minutes ago, TylerMatthews said:

A 10x10 cube with a texture should take up as much room (in the file) as a 99x99 cube! Even a 1000x1000 cube should be about the same file size. Making an object bigger will have almost no effect on the file size. The file just tells the game how big to make it, like a recipe. The game itself has to deal with the ingredients. :)

well it does have tho i have tested it many months ago :) 

short storry i wanted to create a list with every object and their file size so i start put down props onr by one saving and watching the file then another then another  then i tested bigger cubes with bigger textures and this is how i know i stopped that project cause i couldnt make a proper list since file size change with how big a texture is :) 

Dont belive me ? go test it  have a ampty room put down a 10 x 10 cube with a texture save it measure then put a cube again 100x 100 with texture check the file size and u will see its different 😉

Edited by Aliviax

1 minute ago, Aliviax said:

short storry i wanted to create a list with every object and their file size so i start put down props onr by one saving and watching the file then another then another  then i tested bigger cubes with bigger textures and this is how i know i stopped that project cause i couldnt make a proper list since file size change with how big a texture is :) 

Huh, I wonder if they changed it at some point? Maybe it used to be like that? I don't think it'; that way anymore, at least! :)

Just now, TylerMatthews said:

Huh, I wonder if they changed it at some point? Maybe it used to be like that? I don't think it'; that way anymore, at least! :)

well what i say i have tested it like 1 year ago :) maybe a lil less dont remeber but its a long time 

1 hour ago, Aliviax said:

well what i say i have tested it like 1 year ago :) maybe a lil less dont remeber but its a long time 

Good news then, it's not like that now! I made a world with a 1x1m cube and no texture (222 bytes), and also with a 500x500m cube with texture (260 bytes), and the only difference in file size is the addition of the texture name, and that 500 is 3 digits instead of 1 digit. So, you now don't have to worry about object size, just the # of objects. Yay! :)

We are on a 64 bit Game meows, so our poots are accessing more system memory to handle tha larger room files. Ive been to builders rooms with file sizes over 6Mb and ive had no lag.

Then again if youre purely making a room fo orgies with BBC in tha Room name then 100 Standers in spawn might cause sum laggins and ya might want to consider just 4 walls a floor, 30 beds and a roof. Orgy goers dunn care anyways, they there fo tha OOhs and AAhs, not tha Design or deco :P

7 minutes ago, Alliehotass said:

We are on a 64 bit Game meows, so our poots are accessing more system memory to handle tha larger room files. Ive been to builders rooms with file sizes over 6Mb and ive had no lag.

Then again if youre purely making a room fo orgies with BBC in tha Room name then 100 Standers in spawn might cause sum laggins and ya might want to consider just 4 walls a floor, 30 beds and a roof. Orgy goers dunn care anyways, they there fo tha OOhs and AAhs, not tha Design or deco :P

My previous room was ~ 3.2MB and seemed to handle (unexpectedly!) ~ 118 people without any reported problems by several of the people I was talking to. I did notice some spawn clogging because of how it was arranged (again, not expecting so many people!), but it also definitely wasn't an orgy room. :) I did redesign the room and it's down to ~2.7MB now, though I did have an issue with a friend reporting lag by the hot spring presumably due to the steam that I didn't yet find a good explanation for, but have made some changes there.

On 7/1/2020 at 10:48 PM, SpicySweet said:

@SpicySweet The tools mentioned in previous posts here are really helpful to prevent duplicants . But also try to avoid using animated objekts (fire, smoke, trees etc) In my experiance,  Animated objekts increases the KB usage alot moore than a ”regular” building  block and makes low-end PCs lag alot moore when  entering a room aswell.

Also I don’t think the KB size of the room is that important. The design of the rom effekts the lag alot moore than the size of it. 
Tip is to not put the spawn area where you expect most people to be at or where there is alot of stuff within the 3d rendering sphere.

Good luck and i hope you find theese  tips usefull.

Edited by VenomousVixens

Depends on how your pc can handle this. @VenomousVixens is right that any animated things includes reflections, glows, etc., decreases fps more than common objects. Materials with reflections, glows or animated textures decreases fps more than common materials.

I have never saw here in 3dx that a cube 1000x1000 will take more file size than a cube with 10x10. in 2018 i didn`t see that.

All tha effects such as...smoke, lightning and fire are tha worst fo fps drops. Tha lighting objects are very low, tha 90 degree spot light is like 2kb fo eg so ya can load up on them.

Building is a balancing game,  if tha room is just a project, not designed fo tha standers  🧍 thens ya can go big as ya wants. If youre building fo tha Herds  🐑🐏🐑🐏🐑 then ya gonna have ta optimize dat sucka fo performance.

Easy way to keep track is save regularly when creating your room and keep an eye on tha progression of ya room size. You will get an understanding how file size increases in relation to wot ya just made and saved, keep an eye on file size and you will start to understand tha tings that are heavy and those tings that are not.

As far as tha object size goes ah havnt chqed that out realleh but will give mah report in an upcoming post :P  mah feelz is that eet doesnt matter but we will see 🧐

Edited by Alliehotass
typo bandit strikes again Nuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

On 7/3/2020 at 10:34 PM, Aliviax said:

Dont belive me ? go test it  have a ampty room put down a 10 x 10 cube with a texture save it measure then put a cube again 100x 100 with texture check the file size and u will see its different 😉

that's because of the fucked up texture system not the cube, a cube 10x10 or 50x50 without texture contain Exactly the same amount of polygone so it's virtualy impossible to increase the size of the file by increasing the size of the cube (same goes for every primitives ingame there's no adaptative tesselation what so ever).

Tho there's no textureless stuff in the game. and the texture system itself is flawed cause when you increase the size of a cube the texture just repeat itself to match the shape and obviously increase the size of the file.

And since you can't fuse shapes and you're basicaly forced to apply texture to every single primitive it make your file skyrocket in size as soon as you try to do something more detailed.

Primitives are saved in a JSON formatted files (google JSON if you're interested in details), like that:

{ "n":"Box",

"p":[-38750,181653,-79498],

"r":[2700000,0,0],

"s":[22876,7000,-1000],

"c":[1000,669,455],

"m":"wood_1"}

Where:
n = primitive name ("Box" for a cube, i.e.)

p = position translation (basically it's the primitive's pivot coordinates relative to the starting point [0,0,0])

r = rotation translation (rotation around 3 axes)

s = scaling translation (scaling along primitive's *local* axes)

c = color in RGB format. I believe 1000 is equal to 100% (1000,1000,1000 = white)

m = material (texture + shaders associated to that texture)

Making your cube bigger you only changes the *s* field in your primitive's save file.

Here is an example of a red wooden cube (writing it right now  inside this comment, but you cn select the text and paste it into a text file, then rename it to .world and load into your WE).

"respawn" = starting square area where avatars are spawned
"ambient" = ambient lighing settings"oceanlevel":"0.0" = ocean height
"weather":"Cloudy" = weather in your world
"valuetype":"float" = instructs the client to use float values instead of integer/1000)
"objects":[....] = list of objects in your world

{

"respawn":{"p":[0.0,0.0,0.0],"r":180.0},

"ambient":[1.0,1.0,1.0,1.0,1.0,1.0,1.0,1.0,1.0],

"oceanlevel":0.0,

"weather":"Cloudy",

"valuetype":"float",

"objects":[{"n":"Box","p":[0.0,0.0,0.0],"r":[0.0,0.0,0.0],"s":[1.0,1.0,1.0],"c":[1.0,0.0,0.0],"m":"wood_1"}]

}

Edited by Losst

Main issue with JSON format is that it makes savefiles grow HUGE because a lot of values saved as strings of text. In example such things as "respawn" or "oceanlevel" are not needed at all. It could be just a first 3 floats inside the file used for xyz coord and 4th float  used for z-axis rotation of the respawn area. In a human-readable form
could be saved as

In fact it is not correct representation, but it gives you an idea.

Edited by Losst

14 minutes ago, Losst said:

Main issue with JSON format is that it makes savefiles grow HUGE because a lot of values saved as strings of text. In example such things as "respawn" or "oceanlevel" are not needed at all. It could be just a first 3 floats inside the file used for xyz coord and 4th float  used for z-axis rotation of the respawn area. In a human-readable form
could be saved as

In fact it is not correct representation, but it gives you an idea.

Hey, at least it's not XML - could be way bigger! 😂

On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2020 at 4:48 PM, SpicySweet said:

Also, if you are worried about lag, fewer animated objects is better.  Trees, bushes, etc all move constantly and the more of them you have, the more lag they produce.  Same with any other animated objects.

By the way, 3000 kb is 3 mb.  We're talking about mb here, not kb.  :)

Edited by pretty

2 hours ago, pretty said:

Also, if you are worried about lag, fewer animated objects is better.  Trees, bushes, etc all move constantly and the more of them you have, the more lag they produce.  Same with any other animated objects.

By the way, 3000 kb is 3 mb.  We're talking about mb here, not kb.  :)

Sighs..........must be that new core math everyone uses now. Today's math and computer lesson.

4 bits.......this is the number of bits per characters (letters, number, symbols, etc)

8 bits = 1 Byte

1,024 Bytes = 1 Kilobyte

1,024,000 = 1 Megabyte.....so 3MBs = 3,072,000 Bytes.

3000kb = 2.92969MB

And before everyone gets their panties in a wad....I am 52......did computer programming by hand using pencil and paper (Calculators were forbidden, and were too expensive at the time), using Binary, Base 6, Base 8, RPG III using punch cards on an IBM mainframe. Our computer class had 19 IBM PC's.......8086 Intel processors, 64KB of RAM, and  one 20MB 8" hard drive with 2 5.25" 360KB floppy drives with green screens. We had 1 PC that had a 1 bit Hercules graphics card in it, that had 16 colors, and we thought that was the best damn thing we had ever seen.