Jump to content
3DXChat Community

could not connect to the server


Valen
 Share

Recommended Posts

I don’t want to discredit or minimize what others have said or the feelings they have expressed. Your thoughts and options are valid. These are merely my thoughts based on what has been posted on this thread.

I do not understand how servers, programming, or (I’m sure) the multitude of additional tasks that are required to operate a program such as this. I know that it takes specialized skills/training/dedication. If it were easy to do, everyone would have their own programs and/or systems similar to or competing with this.

I have only been a part of this community for a few weeks. However, based on what I’ve learned from talking to those that have played for significantly longer, some since it’s creation, the program goes through periods of ups and downs. However, to put it in perspective, this is true of all programs that are in an “in progress” state such as Apple’s IOS program or Windows (pick a version). These are enormous companies with significantly larger budgets and staff.

The general consensus I have learned is that COVID-19 had a major impact on the server. The number of people that were playing before COVID-19 vs. now is something doubtfully could have been predicted and/or planned for. (I do not have exact numbers to support this claim and welcome this information if someone has it or has evidence to the contrary.) Again, I am not tech savvy enough to know if this is accurate and welcome education/evidence if it is incorrect.

Do I agree that it is absolutely frustrating, and a total mood killer, for the server to crash while you are in the heat of the moment? Absolutely. The frustration is even higher when it happens on a weekend. Do I think that there are things that need to be improved? Absolutely. However, posting “trolling” type comments is counter-productive. (Excuse my language) Bitching to bitch does nothing but create chaos, strife, and animosity. It is easy to criticize and point out flaws. It is harder to point out the positives and/or offer solutions.

While I don’t want to speak for the developers, I’m sure they are just as frustrated by the situation and want everyone to have an enjoyable experience. Otherwise, they would not have spent all the time, energy, and brain power to create this program and to keep it going for this long. Just as we are all people behind out avatars, the developers are people as well with their own lives and things that impact them. 

Despite all the crashes, I am thankful for the program and the incredible people I have been able to meet through this program. At a time when human contact, for the safety of everyone, has been severely restricted, programs such as this allow those of us with limited social circles or introverts to still have contact with others. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, peanutnut said:

I don’t want to discredit or minimize what others have said or the feelings they have expressed. Your thoughts and options are valid. These are merely my thoughts based on what has been posted on this thread.

I do not understand how servers, programming, or (I’m sure) the multitude of additional tasks that are required to operate a program such as this. I know that it takes specialized skills/training/dedication. If it were easy to do, everyone would have their own programs and/or systems similar to or competing with this.

I have only been a part of this community for a few weeks. However, based on what I’ve learned from talking to those that have played for significantly longer, some since it’s creation, the program goes through periods of ups and downs. However, to put it in perspective, this is true of all programs that are in an “in progress” state such as Apple’s IOS program or Windows (pick a version). These are enormous companies with significantly larger budgets and staff.

The general consensus I have learned is that COVID-19 had a major impact on the server. The number of people that were playing before COVID-19 vs. now is something doubtfully could have been predicted and/or planned for. (I do not have exact numbers to support this claim and welcome this information if someone has it or has evidence to the contrary.) Again, I am not tech savvy enough to know if this is accurate and welcome education/evidence if it is incorrect.

Do I agree that it is absolutely frustrating, and a total mood killer, for the server to crash while you are in the heat of the moment? Absolutely. The frustration is even higher when it happens on a weekend. Do I think that there are things that need to be improved? Absolutely. However, posting “trolling” type comments is counter-productive. (Excuse my language) Bitching to bitch does nothing but create chaos, strife, and animosity. It is easy to criticize and point out flaws. It is harder to point out the positives and/or offer solutions.

While I don’t want to speak for the developers, I’m sure they are just as frustrated by the situation and want everyone to have an enjoyable experience. Otherwise, they would not have spent all the time, energy, and brain power to create this program and to keep it going for this long. Just as we are all people behind out avatars, the developers are people as well with their own lives and things that impact them. 

Despite all the crashes, I am thankful for the program and the incredible people I have been able to meet through this program. At a time when human contact, for the safety of everyone, has been severely restricted, programs such as this allow those of us with limited social circles or introverts to still have contact with others. 

Best not to try and be reasonable here. The peasants won't understand it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, peanutnut said:

I don’t want to discredit or minimize what others have said or the feelings they have expressed. Your thoughts and options are valid. These are merely my thoughts based on what has been posted on this thread.

I do not understand how servers, programming, or (I’m sure) the multitude of additional tasks that are required to operate a program such as this. I know that it takes specialized skills/training/dedication. If it were easy to do, everyone would have their own programs and/or systems similar to or competing with this.

I have only been a part of this community for a few weeks. However, based on what I’ve learned from talking to those that have played for significantly longer, some since it’s creation, the program goes through periods of ups and downs. However, to put it in perspective, this is true of all programs that are in an “in progress” state such as Apple’s IOS program or Windows (pick a version). These are enormous companies with significantly larger budgets and staff.

The general consensus I have learned is that COVID-19 had a major impact on the server. The number of people that were playing before COVID-19 vs. now is something doubtfully could have been predicted and/or planned for. (I do not have exact numbers to support this claim and welcome this information if someone has it or has evidence to the contrary.) Again, I am not tech savvy enough to know if this is accurate and welcome education/evidence if it is incorrect.

Do I agree that it is absolutely frustrating, and a total mood killer, for the server to crash while you are in the heat of the moment? Absolutely. The frustration is even higher when it happens on a weekend. Do I think that there are things that need to be improved? Absolutely. However, posting “trolling” type comments is counter-productive. (Excuse my language) Bitching to bitch does nothing but create chaos, strife, and animosity. It is easy to criticize and point out flaws. It is harder to point out the positives and/or offer solutions.

While I don’t want to speak for the developers, I’m sure they are just as frustrated by the situation and want everyone to have an enjoyable experience. Otherwise, they would not have spent all the time, energy, and brain power to create this program and to keep it going for this long. Just as we are all people behind out avatars, the developers are people as well with their own lives and things that impact them. 

Despite all the crashes, I am thankful for the program and the incredible people I have been able to meet through this program. At a time when human contact, for the safety of everyone, has been severely restricted, programs such as this allow those of us with limited social circles or introverts to still have contact with others. 

Well said ....and I totally agree, as frustrating as it can be the game is amazing for the price and everything included in the game play ... poses , clothes etc unlike other games similar.

I appreciate the fact that those who need to know will know and will be trying to sort it ...I'll just remain patient until they do.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have seen 3 sites change servers in the last 4 weeks these guys have been saying they have a new server but all I see it the same garbage server if they really cared they would stop counting these day on our membership and reset us to day one meaning the day we paid for our last sub if they did that i would not have anything to complain about the bottom line is I paid for something and have not received what I paid for!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

To be honest i dont know why we can't get on.  I doubt any of us really do.  Im frustrated yes.  Watching Netflix and checking back between episodes. I'm good with tech but im not to the level of the people running this system.  I REALLY dont think they like having to listen to us bitch.  Im going to assume they're doing their best and have another dove bar.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Loxy said:

Well said ....and I totally agree, as frustrating as it can be the game is amazing for the price and everything included in the game play ... poses , clothes etc unlike other games similar.

I appreciate the fact that those who need to know will know and will be trying to sort it ...I'll just remain patient until they do.

Part of the reason I have stuck with this, and yes I have tried others, is because everything is "all inclusive." I would rather pay a flat fee. 

As they say, patience is a virtue. :) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, peanutnut said:

I don’t want to discredit or minimize what others have said or the feelings they have expressed. Your thoughts and options are valid. These are merely my thoughts based on what has been posted on this thread.

I do not understand how servers, programming, or (I’m sure) the multitude of additional tasks that are required to operate a program such as this. I know that it takes specialized skills/training/dedication. If it were easy to do, everyone would have their own programs and/or systems similar to or competing with this.

I have only been a part of this community for a few weeks. However, based on what I’ve learned from talking to those that have played for significantly longer, some since it’s creation, the program goes through periods of ups and downs. However, to put it in perspective, this is true of all programs that are in an “in progress” state such as Apple’s IOS program or Windows (pick a version). These are enormous companies with significantly larger budgets and staff.

The general consensus I have learned is that COVID-19 had a major impact on the server. The number of people that were playing before COVID-19 vs. now is something doubtfully could have been predicted and/or planned for. (I do not have exact numbers to support this claim and welcome this information if someone has it or has evidence to the contrary.) Again, I am not tech savvy enough to know if this is accurate and welcome education/evidence if it is incorrect.

Do I agree that it is absolutely frustrating, and a total mood killer, for the server to crash while you are in the heat of the moment? Absolutely. The frustration is even higher when it happens on a weekend. Do I think that there are things that need to be improved? Absolutely. However, posting “trolling” type comments is counter-productive. (Excuse my language) Bitching to bitch does nothing but create chaos, strife, and animosity. It is easy to criticize and point out flaws. It is harder to point out the positives and/or offer solutions.

While I don’t want to speak for the developers, I’m sure they are just as frustrated by the situation and want everyone to have an enjoyable experience. Otherwise, they would not have spent all the time, energy, and brain power to create this program and to keep it going for this long. Just as we are all people behind out avatars, the developers are people as well with their own lives and things that impact them. 

Despite all the crashes, I am thankful for the program and the incredible people I have been able to meet through this program. At a time when human contact, for the safety of everyone, has been severely restricted, programs such as this allow those of us with limited social circles or introverts to still have contact with others. 

Just signed up to say that I totally agree with your point. o7

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I can be patient. All I wish for was more involvement. I work Tech Support for a small company and I am up my clients butts with updates for their computers or issues and literally try to educate them why it was not working or it is down. Even if it is borderline simple like. The PC went to sleep therefore it can not communicate on the network." I am by no means incredible with servers or a sysadmin ,but I would wager a good bit of update on what the issue might be or is would set more people at ease. If the server had an update and did not come back say so. If it had hardware go bad say so. If at the very least we are informed of what the heck is going on even if it is complicated, we can all be on the same page and just work through it. It takes like 5 minutes to say something like that. So you cant use the..'they dont have time'...right now we have plenty.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, rimaki said:

I can be patient. All I wish for was more involvement. I work Tech Support for a small company and I am up my clients butts with updates for their computers or issues and literally try to educate them why it was not working or it is down. Even if it is borderline simple like. The PC went to sleep therefore it can not communicate on the network." I am by no means incredible with servers or a sysadmin ,but I would wager a good bit of update on what the issue might be or is would set more people at ease. If the server had an update and did not come back say so. If it had hardware go bad say so. If at the very least we are informed of what the heck is going on even if it is complicated, we can all be on the same page and just work through it. It takes like 5 minutes to say something like that. So you cant use the..'they dont have time'...right now we have plenty.

I agree more communication and/or acknowledgement would be nice. I think it would also help calm the masses :) And as you stated, it only takes a few moments. It doesn't need to be overly complicated. Even a simple "we appreciate your patience" every so often would be nice.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, peanutnut said:

Despite all the crashes, I am thankful for the program and the incredible people I have been able to meet through this program. At a time when human contact, for the safety of everyone, has been severely restricted, programs such as this allow those of us with limited social circles or introverts to still have contact with others. 

So am I. I wouldn't be so angry if i didn't like the game and the people I met. I would have just try a month and then forget about it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, peanutnut said:

The general consensus I have learned is that COVID-19 had a major impact on the server. The number of people that were playing before COVID-19 vs. now is something doubtfully could have been predicted and/or planned for. (I do not have exact numbers to support this claim and welcome this information if someone has it or has evidence to the contrary.) Again, I am not tech savvy enough to know if this is accurate and welcome education/evidence if it is incorrect.

Peanut, I would normally agree about dev's not knowing about that the game would become overloaded due to stay at home orders, but they are also the ones that put up a 1/2 price sale on subscriptions. For them to not be ready for all that might take them up on their offer is ignorant on their part then.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Ms.Dani said:

Peanut, I would normally agree about dev's not knowing about that the game would become overloaded due to stay at home orders, but they are also the ones that put up a 1/2 price sale on subscriptions. For them to not be ready for all that might take them up on their offer is ignorant on their part then.

I agree. I didn't remember/failed to account for that.I think, like most of the world, they were not prepared/had a plan in place for a situation of this magnitude.  I hope they will take it as a learning point in the future. I would also hope that if numbers drop as the world resumes, they do not revert back to old ways of functioning/servers. However, again, I am not tech savvy enough to know how this works.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sadly, in a week's time I have been able to play 1 day. I am not someone who whines about the game or badmouths it, threatening to leave. BUT I will say this. My patience is running out. I paid for a service and am NOT receiving the service, NOR am I getting any sort of communication as to why. As someone who owned his own business and worked management before that, customer service is extremely important, probably the most important part of a business. If your clientele is experiencing problems with your service, the professional responsibility is to convey an honest and sincere reason as to why and offer a solution equitable for both sides.

Ignoring the issue is extremely unprofessional and leave people with a very bad experience, to the point where the word of mouth will kill business and repeat business will be hard to maintain. 

Right now, this is the worst possible time for this to happen, the pandemic has us all at home with nothing to do, in the US we have a megalomaniac that would rather burn the nation than lose his precious election.

PEOPLE ARE DESPERATELY SEEKING THE ESCAPE THIS GAME PROVIDES AND YOU CAN'T EVEN BE HONEST AND OPEN WITH THE PROBLEMS, BY ANSWERING QUESTIONS ON THE FORUM?????? VERY POOR BUSINESS MODEL YOU HAVE. IF SOMEONE IS ATTACKING YOU AND THIS IS NOT YOUR FAULT, YOU ARE MAKING IT FAR WORSE BY NOT RESPONDING TO YOUR CLIENTELE.

HOW HARD IS IT FOR YOU TO COME INTO THE FORUMS AND EXPLAIN WHAT THE TRUE ISSUES ARE? I WOULD VENTURE TO SAY 90% OF US WOULD UNDERSTAND AND BE SATISFIED WITH HONEST REPORTS OF WHAT IS GOING ON. SILENCE IS DEADLY TO A BUSINESS BECAUSE YOU ARE TELLING THE CLIENTELE AND CUSTOMER BASE YOU DO NOT RESPECT THEM ENOUGH TO TELL THEM WHAT IS GOING ON. AGAIN, THAT IS A PISS POOR BUSINESS MODEL.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So here's a few questions I have...somebody, tech knowledgeable or otherwise, developer/owner here or otherwise, could maybe shed some light on this.

I've been here for 5 years, and have gotten very attached to a lot of people. I stick around because it's fun, it's sexy, it's a great social environment (for the most part) and the graphics and quality of the game itself seem to be better than most of the alternatives out there. No, it's not perfect, but overall, I enjoy it enough to keep coming back (or I'm too addicted to quit...it could be that too.)

What I want to know is...who actually runs this place? I see the names Gizmo and Lisa. I hear about an artistic or technical team but don't know who's on it. I remember some moderator types like AshBash from many years back and I'm not sure who else is still around. And I know there are builders and programmers among the community that produce awesome shared content for us. But is this a big team, with resources and money...or a handful of people in over their heads? And why, since we seem to have a lot of smart people here, with skills, who really seem to love this game for whatever reason, will they not hire us, listen to us, open things up to user support and content, etc.?

I agree with Peanutnut about giving the benefit of (some) doubt to the people in charge. I think in most cases, there are more reasons other than malice for why things go wrong. I'm not naïve enough to believe that they don't just want to take our money and run, though, but if that's truly the case, then that model is collapsing before their eyes.  And if that's true, then our only solution is vote by wallet. Cancel...suspend...abstain...starve the place out and let it die. If they care about nothing but money, use money to get the service we want.

And if that doesn't work, support other services that are more responsive, or help them get better. Hell, at the end of the day, get a group of our bestest smart people together who happen to love this place and let's create our OWN game. With blackjack...and hookers! Maybe it's a pipe dream, but the community is the power of this place. How can we make that work to solve the problem? Simple complaining isn't cutting it.

'jus sayin.

-Laz

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Fyrefly said:

So here's a few questions I have...somebody, tech knowledgeable or otherwise, developer/owner here or otherwise, could maybe shed some light on this.

I've been here for 5 years, and have gotten very attached to a lot of people. I stick around because it's fun, it's sexy, it's a great social environment (for the most part) and the graphics and quality of the game itself seem to be better than most of the alternatives out there. No, it's not perfect, but overall, I enjoy it enough to keep coming back (or I'm too addicted to quit...it could be that too.)

What I want to know is...who actually runs this place? I see the names Gizmo and Lisa. I hear about an artistic or technical team but don't know who's on it. I remember some moderator types like AshBash from many years back and I'm not sure who else is still around. And I know there are builders and programmers among the community that produce awesome shared content for us. But is this a big team, with resources and money...or a handful of people in over their heads? And why, since we seem to have a lot of smart people here, with skills, who really seem to love this game for whatever reason, will they not hire us, listen to us, open things up to user support and content, etc.?

I agree with Peanutnut about giving the benefit of (some) doubt to the people in charge. I think in most cases, there are more reasons other than malice for why things go wrong. I'm not naïve enough to believe that they don't just want to take our money and run, though, but if that's truly the case, then that model is collapsing before their eyes.  And if that's true, then our only solution is vote by wallet. Cancel...suspend...abstain...starve the place out and let it die. If they care about nothing but money, use money to get the service we want.

And if that doesn't work, support other services that are more responsive, or help them get better. Hell, at the end of the day, get a group of our bestest smart people together who happen to love this place and let's create our OWN game. With blackjack...and hookers! Maybe it's a pipe dream, but the community is the power of this place. How can we make that work to solve the problem? Simple complaining isn't cutting it.

'jus sayin.

-Laz

 

 

 

oh..... really.... I dont want to pay $ 1000 a year so that they lick my heels =)))))

Link to comment
Share on other sites

----•.¸¸.•*¨¨*•.¸¸.•*¨¨*•.¸¸.•----

 SERVER DOWN PARTY 
                          --------------------------------------                          
----•.¸¸.•*¨¨*•.¸¸.•*¨¨*•.¸¸.•----

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Lisa locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...