3DXChat Community

could not connect to the server

Valen

1 minute ago, pretty said:

DDoS attack...

Yeah but surly if it has been out for years this isn't the first time it has been attacked.. usually people learn from mistakes and beef up security

Just now, NicciW said:

Yeah but surly if it has been out for years this isn't the first time it has been attacked.. usually people learn from mistakes and beef up security

This is part of an ongoing thing.  The server was hit with a DDoS attack about two months ago, I think, maybe less than that.  And, now it is hit again.

I agree, it should have better security in place, but it seems either the security is not so good, or the hackers are better than the current security.

1 minute ago, NicciW said:

I subscribed to the game prior to the forums but then I came here when I couldn't connect... so I've been on the forums days before playing the game so we are kinda in the same boat? 😅

Careful which boat you jump into.  You are going to need a paddle in mine.  And expect to get wet, since she leaks like sieve. 🤪

1 minute ago, NicciW said:

True indeed...This bein 2nd DDoS attack in recent times. Bumpy madness we are havin !

2 minutes ago, JackPine said:

Careful which boat you jump into.  You are going to need a paddle in mine.  And expect to get wet, since she leaks like sieve. 🤪

Like a sieve? You need to invest in a new boat 🤦‍♀️

2 minutes ago, Sinful said:

Perhaps he'll get one as compensation after update / fix  :D

I will be happy to shipwreck this on the beaches of 3dx and burn it, if it means access to the game again. 😃  Well, as long as it isn't on one of the deserted islands without access to even Betty. 🤪

5 hours ago, NicciW said:

How have I:

• Paid for a years sub on Saturday
  • Gone from newbie to a member on the 3dxforums on Sunday
  • Worked from 8-4 today...

And still not played this game 🙄😞

Really over hyping it for me 🤞

If after this I find it's not to my liking I'm just going to find that funny 😅

When it comes back on have fresh batteries in your vibe, some lovely clippies for your nippies and be sitting on 2 towels  :)

8 minutes ago, pretty said:

This is part of an ongoing thing.  The server was hit with a DDoS attack about two months ago, I think, maybe less than that.  And, now it is hit again.

I agree, it should have better security in place, but it seems either the security is not so good, or the hackers are better than the current security.

Weird that they don't know who was reponsible for the first attack. Chances are these are the same people.

Though I don't really know much about that topic. Maybe someone who knows programming can tell me if DDoS attacks can be easily tracked or not. xD

and this will most likely happens again. They need to get their act together. Somewhere in a poorly lit, stinking basement live a dork on a massive powertrip.

You guys need to hire competent people who know about network security.

Distributed denial of service is what is stands for, no, it can not easily be tracked, nor prevented, the best prevention is making people actually patch their home PCs and keep them up to date on anti virus and anti malware.... bot networks doing DDoS attacks typically consist of several thousands of compromised home pcs on broadband, the compute needed to launch an attack is not much and no server in the world can withstand the targeted traffic. So you see, backtracking the DDoS ultimately only leads you to a compromised home PC being controlled by a malicious third party, and with enough bot machines in your control you do not even need to have the compromised pcs send a lot of data, likely not even noticed by the owner of the machine. 

One typical attack type type is a reflection attack where they craft a payload that looks like a heavily fragmented packet with spoofed sources making the target server go request a bunch of packets from a place that never sent them, keeping them in its memory buffers trying to reassemble the fragments for a reasonable time out....

Typically networks and network related resources are overwhelmed long before servers, but maybe theirs are on the edge of their network? I do not claim to know their architecture but I do understand security and compute and I feel for them because I know how hard it is to defend against this type of attack successfully, and even the likes of AT&T and Microsoft and Amazon do not have the resources to prevent degradation or interruption of service against an attack of this nature so please all of you saying they "should have learned" go educate yourselves a little, if this is a DDoS attack directed at them... its likely an attempt to extort money from them, which will ultimately kill the game completely unless they can work with their service provider who I guarantee is also being hurt just as badly if not worse, if it is not directed at them but they just happen to be using a provider that is also hosting someone else that it is directed at.... well moving to a new provider is a great move.

Edited by Kazze

2 hours ago, pretty said:

It is sad how so many players are quick to abandon ship, and encourage other players to abandon ship so they will not feel bad for doing so themselves, instead of picking up a bucket and helping to bail the water out... and when the ship goes down they complain for lack of a ship to keep their asses out of the water.

When it works correctly, they say "I love 3DXChat! It's the best game ever!", but every time even the slightest problem comes along, they shout "ABANDON SHIP!  ABANDON SHIP!" and jump right into the life boats.

Yes, the server issues have been big problems for some time, but we have survived such things before and we will survive this.  I understand many of you have no lives and totally lose your minds when 3DXChat goes down, but if 3DXchat is all you have then you should not be in 3DXChat.  You should be out getting yourselves lives.  The few of us who have lives, do not lose our minds when 3DXChat goes down, and we actually pick up buckets and bail water out to save this ship from being claimed by the briny deep.  We do that by supporting the 3DXchat staff and by continuing to pay for our memberships so they are being paid for the jobs they are no doubt doing to fix the good ship 3DXChat.

Well, rather then sit here and get mad I go to another MMORPG, put poison on my daggers and gank as many Alliance types as i can.  Artful assassination really DOES relieve stress.

katrill.png

21 minutes ago, Kazze said:

well moving to a new provider is a great move.

You think 🤣

Constant server crash. Instability. Major desync and 'ghost'. Just wheezing in the server direction is probably enough to crash it.

Also thanks for educating us on what DDoS is about. It not like people can't read wikipedia. Also an antivrus does not protect from stupidity and this is how people get their PC infected.

3 minutes ago, Rhaelce said:

You think 🤣

Constant server crash. Instability. Major desync and 'ghost'. Just wheezing in the server direction is probably enough to crash it.

Also thanks for educating us on what DDoS is about. It not like people can't read wikipedia. Also an antivrus does not protect from stupidity and this is how people get their PC infected.

That is correct.  Many stupid people click "go to site anyway" or "accept download anyway", even when their anti-virus warns them it may infect their computer.

Edited by pretty

9 minutes ago, JustinCredible said:

Nah...  Just gotta make her not want to leave.  Give her exactly what she wants... Over side-ways and under

I always want a man to do what he wants.  That's what turns me on and keeps me going.  Yet, I have found almost all men are so lacking in self-confidence they only want to do what I want (despite me already having told them I get off on them doing what they want), because they're afraid I won't like what they want to do.  "Yeah, well, your total lack of self-confidence (and manliness really) just killed my mood.  Bye."

Edited by pretty

3 minutes ago, pretty said:

I always want a man to do what he wants.  That's what turns me on and keeps me going.  Yet, I have found almost all men are so lacking in self-confidence they only want to do what I want (despite me already having told them that them doing what they want is what I want), because they're afraid I won't like what they want to do.  "Yeah, well, your total lack of self-confidence just killed my mood.  Bye."

I usually interpret 'just do what you want' as just lazy. Just like 'I don't care, you pick where to go for dinner.'
We're kind of coded as men to interpret this as a trap. Inevitably it always ends with, 'well that's not what I wanted for dinner.'

1 minute ago, rhet said:

I usually interpret 'just do what you want' as just lazy. Just like 'I don't care, you pick where to go for dinner.'
We're kind of coded as men to interpret this as a trap. Inevitably it always ends with, 'well that's not what I wanted for dinner.'

Just like everything it comes with balance, being needy is bad... not caring is worse. There needs to be a middle ground

perfectly-balanced-as-all-things-should-

14 minutes ago, pretty said:

That is correct.  Many stupid people click "go to site anyway" or "accept download anyway", even when their anti-virus warns them it may infect their computer.

Well, I think the quote is actually, "You can't fix stupid!"  But yeah, generally, if they keep up with patches and AV signatures and the like they are mostly protected from accidentally infecting themselves, but if they just invite the vampire in so to speak.... well you get the idea!