3DXChat Community

RP School

Whitesnake

I was reading a recent topic on RP and someone suggested it'd be cool to have a thread where RP tips are given by those who have experience with it. So how about we do it here?

I like to RP occasionally, but I don't know the unwritten rules of RP etiquette, so I'm willing to read about what otters consider to be the "right way to roleplay". So I can't really teach others much on the matter, but if there is one advice I could give is to never break 3rd-person when starting your line with the /me tag. Example below:

/me likes the way he kisses.

becomes

Whitesnake likes the way he kisses.

One wrong way to write this would be

/me I like the way you kiss.

which becomes

Whitesnake I like the way you kiss.

Each player has their own style and personal rules, some honed after years of doing roleplay, feel free to describe and perhaps explain why you do it the way you do it and why it works for you.

Keep in mind that the purpose here is to teach and learn from each other, not necessarily to yell at others that they are wrong, so please try to stay away from being overly critical and keep it civil and constructive.

Edited by Whitesnake
corrections, cleanup for clarity

If i can add a few of them :

- Try to act like you are your character, for example : don't talk to people who are far away from you, don't enter place you aren't supposed to be able to enter. Everything there is a bit about playing "reality". You probably wouldn't enter your neighbour house and goes to his bathroom to look at his wife taking a bath. Well, maybe you would, but be sure that's the RP you want to play 😂

- Try to find out if the room you are playing in (or your RP partners) are long term or short term RP. Long term mean that players are always playing the same character and remember what happened. Short term is more like playing small stories with no link between them. Both are entirely fine and can be fun, but the two can be hard to mix together when you come to some long term place and don't warn the others that you are a short term player.

- If you want to make a long term character, try to think about his/her background. Why did he/she come here ? What are his/her goals ? What define him/her ? An important question is also : what will create game and make the character interesting ? And there the possibilities are truely infinite. You can be a fortune teller, a nurse, a cop, a proctologist, a serial killer, a teacher, whatever you want, even if you dream is to play a rabbit who was turned into a human by a bad witch after having fed over some cauliflower in an enchanted garden and that now travel in space over a giant flying cucumber.

- Don't mix the things you know and the things your character know. For example, if you take a look at the forum, in the roleplay section, you will easily found it who is doing what in his/her room. Does reading that xXxBimbo666 is the official nurse around let your character instantly know that this girl is a nurse ? Absolutely no. A better example is the floating names over people head. Unless you do some weird Nickelback RP where stuff is floating over people head, it's simply gameplay, nothing to do with RP 😛 Your character don't know people's name before he asked them :)

- Don't play for the others. Everybody is free to chose how is character should react. Never force RP over someone. For example if you RP like : "Touch your arm and feel that you are excited." that might piss off a lot of players around here 😛

- In the same way, if you are going to have some serious impact over another character, please always ask him/her OOC (Out Of Character, as non RP) before doing the thing in RP. For example if you want to kidnap someone, the player should agree first, because he/she might not appreciate to stay stuck somewhere for a RL week.

There is no bad RP, you can play whatever you want, as long as you respect other players RP :)

A few things I’ve run into during my time RP’ing. 

- Try to approach someone you are doing an action towards to prevent the awkwardness of someone doing things like the following example 

Name puts his hands on your hips and caresses them gently (While their avatar is 25 meters away across the frigging room.)

- Try to word your introduction PM or Post in a way that makes sense and gives your ‘target’ a so called Hook to respond to. 

Example of not doing that:

Name looks at your ass wiggling so enticingly beneath that short skirt as you walk away from him. 
In that example, how am I or my character going to respond to something she can’t see. 
Addendum: It is possible to respond to that by glancing around and ‘catching’ the look, but this might be seen as ‘awkward’ 

My point with these examples is that Location and Situations Matter.

One last thing to note because it’s been mentioned before I think. 
If you pick a style. Be consistent. 
Don’t switch perspectives during the RP. 
Name strokes his hand along your cheek. I then trail that hand down to your breasts. I smile as I lift up Derai’s perky breast and kiss her nipple. 
This is something I’ve seen people do. And to me it’s awkward because it reads as if there are Two people fondling me and two of me in there too. 

- Be consistent with the perspectives and don’t mix them. 

That’s all I can think of this early in the morning. 
Cool thread idea though!

The makings of  a great and helpful thread!

How about this example:

Smiling up at you as I lock my eyes on yours, hand cupping your breast before my tongue encircles your nipple, feeling it tightening in arousal...

I shouldn't have placed your response to my action, and let you describe your body's response, correct?  I think I have been guilty of this.

9 hours ago, GottaGo said:

You can be a fortune teller, a nurse, a cop, a proctologist, a serial killer, a teacher, whatever you want, even if you dream is to play a rabbit who was turned into a human by a bad witch after having fed over some cauliflower in an enchanted garden and that now travel in space over a giant flying cucumber.

Hey, have you met my alt Harvey? You nailed his backstory (a precognitive Nurse/Police instructor driven to kill by the heavy burden of anti-Lapine sentiment...he's a bunny on the EDGE, people)...I'm just trying to figure out how to build the space cucumber and the World Editor is kicking my ass! :D

1 hour ago, JackPine said:

The makings of  a great and helpful thread!

How about this example:

Smiling up at you as I lock my eyes on yours, hand cupping your breast before my tongue encircles your nipple, feeling it tightening in arousal...

I shouldn't have placed your response to my action, and let you describe your body's response, correct?  I think I have been guilty of this.

You’re correct. That could be seen as writing for your partner. 
Something you Could do in this case is to add this:

...hoping to arouse you and make your nipple tighten against my tongue. 

You kind of declare an intent. But leave the choice with them. 

Another suggestion which is sometimes kinda hard to handle :

- When in a crowded room try to find the good balance between local channel and private message.

For example, let's say my character is in a bar with someone, and another player is sat a few seats away.

You can do all your RP in pm and then, the other player will simply feel like he is in a silence room. It won't involve him at all.

Or you can, from time to time, type stuff like : "/me is whispering with the other girl", "/me laugh softly".

When others people are able to see the scene, it's always better to use local chat, that way it make things easier for others players willing to join the RP.

Oh this reminds me of one thing I Always find super awkward. 
People doing their RP in ‘you’ format in LOCAL

This is so awkward and kinda rude in a funny way. 

Example: 

I walk into a crowded room and on one of the beds a couple is having sex. 
They put; “Name spanks your ass while pounding away” into local.

And I’m like. Okay then... WHO of the dozen people in the room are you fucking dude? 

It’s just a pet peeve of mine lol. 

I've found some success using Group Chat for small "localized" conversations...three people chatting at a table or a group around the fire on a crowded beach. I like the idea of dropping references into Local, but that has the danger of "forcing" RP onto people that may not want it. It also pays to think twice about dropping hot and heavy descriptions into Local unless you are in an active sex room. PM is also tricky. It's nice to whisper in someone's ear, obviously, and it might be useful for a way to "text" or "call" someone that you're not in a room with. My ultimate goal though is not to be tab swapping too often, since it's so easy to miss conversations going by.

Continuing to evolve my thoughts on this...more to follow.

I’m not sure there’s a right or wrong way, just what works for those involved. I mix first and third person, use purple simply to delineate between speaking and describing more than anything.

Nothing wrong with <name> stands with a hand on my hip. In fact sometimes describing myself in third person separates “me” from the activity. Depends.

Nothing pisses me off more than “god mode” though. Assuming an action on behalf of someone where they haven’t cued it or already described. You may as well go off and write a story, you don’t need someone else there to simply be your sounding board.

ok so there is a wrong way, that one.

Additionally. Most (rp) rooms I’ve seen are fucking awful. I can’t buy into the premise of something supposedly based on a real situation in which no one acts even vaguely close to how a real person would. Fine if you set it up as planet of the plastic nymphomaniacs, sure, I’ll just avoid it.

Edited by vvVickivv

IDK what a school might do for someone because you have to really like what you're doing, and who you're doing it with- even if the other person is only a prop for you while you have sex with yourself. That may sound a little cold, but sometimes that's the mood I'm in. Kinda like when I have a crud day and just want to let someone else have my options and responsibilities for a while and just hide my face in a sofa cushion.

As angry as I've been with the servers and not being able to change clothes for a week, I bought a new account so I could let my boyfriend cheat on me- with me: 'I can't wait until she sees me for the first time and hates me' *squeezing your cock tighter with every word* so I can throw some artificial feelings out there too. So far I've been able to surprise him with something every evening and the Roleplay(TM) just comes out of that. I like to mix what I'm doing, how I'm doing it, and what I'm feeling. Sometimes it's just pillow talk while I push random buttons, like twirling my fingers in my hair while I ride him, to laugh and show him my pigtails, or suck my thumb while he slides into my .. ya. I especially love skrewing with their heads and underlying it all with just a little hint of danger or something contradictory so he O's and isn't even sure why. All of that is in the moment and if I tried to memorize lines or use a format then it would all fall apart. Especially if it was someone else's.

Instead of a course, you could smoke some Strawberry Cough, engage him while you're up, and keep it going while you're coming down. Coming down is the best for me.

Skrew a lot of etiquette, because I'm here to please myself first. I don't need anyone else to understand.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, here are a few things I'd like to add in terms of RP tips:

-As others have mentioned, there's a difference between what your character knows and what you know. If I were in a very large city room and was seated inside one building, I am not going to be able to see or hear events happening in another building across town.

-Try to be clear in separating between actions, dialogue, and OOC comments. Most people use /me for actions and normal white text for dialogue. I've seen a few different formats used for OOC comments, most using some form of parenthesis, like so:

(This is OOC)

((This is also OOC))

and this is also OOC))

-No one likes someone who does god-mode RP. Examples of this are miraculously coming up with ridiculous and unbelievable ways of avoiding being stopped/damaged, knowing and reacting to things there is no IC way of knowing about, and essentially just being an "I always win" type. If you try to jump a girl in a dark alley and she pulls a taser out of her purse, don't go claiming that you have some kind of rubber suit on under your clothes that makes you immune to it.

-Very intense, dramatic scenarios should be done sparingly. A very intense and dramatic event can be a good way to pull people into a story, but done too often it can become tiring and suck the fun out of things

20 hours ago, SamuelDunn said:

-No one likes someone who does god-mode RP. Examples of this are miraculously coming up with ridiculous and unbelievable ways of avoiding being stopped/damaged, knowing and reacting to things there is no IC way of knowing about, and essentially just being an "I always win" type. If you try to jump a girl in a dark alley and she pulls a taser out of her purse, don't go claiming that you have some kind of rubber suit on under your clothes that makes you immune to it.

I entirely agree with you. PVP is always complicated.

I love to think that here it's more a matter of fair play rather than some RP rule. In my mind the attacker, no matter how strong he is supposed to be, should always let the other player decide wether or not he want to be defeated. A man try to jump on a girl in a dark alley for some non consensual action, he should accept whatever way the other player choose to use to get out of this RP.

To keep things interesting, players should also discuss how far they are willing to go under theses circumstances. For example, if a girl is kidnapped and that the kidnappers intend to do some nasty stuff to her, they should ask the player how far he is OOC ready to go. The attackers can keep play like they want to go much further, but once the player limit reached, he will have some opportunity to flee.

Well, even if during theses RPs, if a player refuse it, it won't happen. But agreeing on stuff tend to evade the RP escalation where characters end up flying in the air with yellow hair and lthrowing planets at each other because both of them want to be the strongest thing alive.

Players should also pick strength and weakness for their character. It can ruin a RP when a so called character is strong everywhere. I encountered a few ones with hacking skills, magic abilities, black belt in almost all art martial and, of course, they were rich or had some royal family somewhere. Most of the time i chose to evade theses characters as much as possible. A quick example to make my point : We had an RP map and were in a really long term story. At one point, one of the club was under some business man attacks that tried to make them close the club. The players had to found an helluvah big amount of money. Then one of theses overbuffed characters showed up. "What ? You need to pay one million ? Ho wait, here, take two. I'm rich, it's nothing to me". And then instead of spending two weeks to find money by various RP ways, everything was solved by snapping fingers.

The big ones.
- Use second-person in 1 on 1 roleplay. But in group or local where the reader may not be your target, use third person. (/me tickles your ear. 2nd /me tickles Xaufin's ear. 3rd)
- It's happening right now, as I read it. Use present tense. (/me tickles Xaufin's ear. YES /me tickled Xaufin's ear. NO)
- In any situation, "my" won't work with emote narration, because the sentence will start with the narrator's name. Xaufin bends over and exposes my ears to you. This implies that I am not Xaufin, but some disembodied recipient of Xaufin's unusual methods.

Note: A game I played had a complex tagging system built in that converted pronouns like $his and $her to the reader's perspective automatically. Additional people could be added to the sentence by using $his2, which would match the second person tagged. It did help to clarify group interactions a lot, sometimes preventing confusing modifiers. A bit of mental gymnastics, but the effect was:
/me pats $John on $his head, while pointing a finger at $Sally and $his2 dog while $his2 dog sniffs $John.
John sees: Xaufin pats you on your head, while pointing a finger at Sally and her dog while her dog sniffs you.
Sally sees: Xaufin pats John on his head, while pointing a finger at you and your dog while your dog sniffs John.
Others see: Xaufin pats John on his head, while pointing a finger at Sally and her dog while her dog sniffs John.

I have a question about this.  Should I use "my" or "his"?

EX:  /me stroking his cock   or  /me stroking my cock 

/me slapping his ass  or  /me slapping my ass

/me shoving his cock into your xxx  or /me shoving my cock into your xxx

/me sliding his fingers into your xxx  or  /me sliding my fingers into your xxx

36 minutes ago, westt said:

My personal preference would be 'his'
Because /me turns into your name.
So /me stroking etc  > Westt stroking etc

Point is -you- aren't the one you're writing that for.
You write for your partner, so they see 'him'(you) stroking his cock.

But then again, that's a matter of taste at the end of the day.

13 hours ago, westt said:

I for one would prefer "my".

The reason is, that I feel its more personally. If you write "his" you are describing what your avi does with your partner.
But if you write "my" then you describe what you are doing with your partner and for me, that is more deeply. More connected to each other

But honestly. For me it doesnt really matter if "my" or "his/her". I write in "my" form because I just like it more.
The important thing though is, to get your emote right. I think this "my" or "his/her" thing shouldnt be that big of a deal.

I personally hate reaaaally much two things when it comes to RP and emotes:

1. When people starting to write for me. For example, when my partner writes in his emote that I moan louder as he thrusts harder. Why should I even put effort in this, when he does all the work for me. Boring as hell

2. When my partner doesnt wait until I am finished writing. It makes me uncomfortable when my partners doesnt wait for me to finish my emote. Because that can lead into awkward situations. Like this: I send an emote that says "Loruna grabs my both nips and playing with them" but then my partner, just before I can send my emote, sends "xxx bends forward and sucks on the left nip". Which one is now the emote you are continuing on? I guess you get what I am saying

5 minutes ago, Loruna said:

1. When people starting to write for me. For example, when my partner writes in his emote that I moan louder as he thrusts harder. Why should I even put effort in this, when he does all the work for me. Boring as hell

2. When my partner doesnt wait until I am finished writing. It makes me uncomfortable when my partners doesnt wait for me to finish my emote. Because that can lead into awkward situations. Like this: I send an emote that says "Loruna grabs my both nips and playing with them" but then my partner, just before I can send my emote, sends "xxx bends forward and sucks on the left nip". Which one is now the emote you are continuing on? I guess you get what I am saying

In the 2nd case there, if it’s the first time he does it, I’ll use it. But not as he intended. 

XXX bends forward and sucks the left nip

Derai giggles as she accidentally pokes her finger into your eye as you bend forward. Moaning out an ‘oops’ before stroking your hair.

I do agree though that it’s kinda rude if they keep doing it. But it could be a heat of the moment thing. 
In essence, and this might make some of the guys go ‘hey now...’ the emoting for a partner and being hasty is like a overeager guy just pumping away to finish in 2 minutes with no regard for his girls pleasure. 
(Disclaimer: Guy / Girl pairing picked as a general example, it’s not just the guys that do it though)

I just have to be in a proper role mood, sometimes i'm chilling but you can tell who the RP'ers are in a room, they distance themselves from the herds, they want you to read their profiles before they even come close to you, I only answer messages within talking distance anyway, so when I'm in character, I am my avatar.

A true Rp'er on the server will dress and act like they are their avatars, the way they sit, stand, prop up against a wall, you can see their moods, there are alot of talented role players on the server for sure. 

On 6/28/2020 at 10:57 PM, AlissaTemple said:

I just have to be in a proper role mood, sometimes i'm chilling but you can tell who the RP'ers are in a room, they distance themselves from the herds, they want you to read their profiles before they even come close to you, I only answer messages within talking distance anyway, so when I'm in character, I am my avatar.

A true Rp'er on the server will dress and act like they are their avatars, the way they sit, stand, prop up against a wall, you can see their moods, there are alot of talented role players on the server for sure. 

Heh. Rereading this reminds me of another little gripe. 
The way you make your avatar Act during the approach. 

What I dislike:

- People that RUN everywhere. Looks ridiculous. And breaks my immersion.  
- People joining me in a pool and only taking their clothes off after they entered the water. 

21 minutes ago, Derai said:

Heh. Rereading this reminds me of another little gripe. 
The way you make your avatar Act during the approach. 

What I dislike:

- People that RUN everywhere. Looks ridiculous. And breaks my immersion.  
- People joining me in a pool and only taking their clothes off after they entered the water. 

or popping in a bed from way across the room lol