3DXChat Community

Start rp chat without /me

I'm not sure if this has been suggested before, but I'd like to suggest that we start the rp chat in different ways. Currently, every single rp chat starts with your name. While that's fine for the most part, if you're writing a large block of text and you need to follow up in the next block, it becomes a bit weird to read.

Example:
If we start RP by writing /me
FutabaSakura reached out her hand and patted your head. She lowered herself into the water and sat down next to you.
Or if we could start rp with just writing /
I reached out my hand and patted your hand. My feet slowly slipped into the water, feeling out the temperature. The rest of my body quickly followed as I sat down next to you.

Another example is when you're out of characters and you have to start with the next sentence.
With /me, you'd have to follow up the next sentence like this:
(Whole bunch of rp, almost nearing the limit) She rubbed her shoulder against yours, looking --
FutabaSakura -- into your eyes as she blushed.
While if we could just start rp by writing /
(Whole bunch of rp, almost nearing the limit) She rubbed her shoulder against yours, looking
into your eyes as she blushed.

It's nothing major or anything, but I'd love to see a change like that. You'd be able to start the rp in different ways too, that'd be great.
What do you all think?

No matter what you do, the name will always be there I think. 
Because the system needs to show who is typing what. 

In your example of RP text without a name included yes?

Imagine this in a Threesome. 
“I stroke Name-A’s head lovingly”

If there’s no name before the Emote, how is A going to know who is stroking them. 

As for the running out of space, in your example there I’d cut at ‘yours’ then make the next post start with:

“ExampleName looks into your eyes with a blush after the shoulder rub”

The system is slightly awkward at times, I agree there. 
But not as awkward as those that just type like this:

/me I stroke your hair lovingly.

Which comes out in chat as:

”TheirName I stroke your hair lovingly.”

As for suggestions or improvements, how about a Chat that only activates with those you Partner with, and which has a bigger text limit. 
Something like a Team/Party chat in standard MMO’s?

Edited by Derai

Woah, you're right. I didn't think that far ahead o-o Now that you've mentioned it, that would be complete chaos without any names representing who's talking. In that case, I don't really think there's another option regarding how the rp chat starts.

Another chat section would be fantastic, one where the limit is increased by quite a lot. That way we can write out our scenes in one go instead of having it be cut off in two or three. I also made the suggestion earlier to increase the character limit on profiles too, or open up a new forum section for character profiles and allow it to be linked from your profile.

Anyways, guess I'll just continue writing the first sentence from the third person perspective. Thanks for the input Derai!

I read through your post, Xizl, and it looks like we were thinking about the same thing. The suggestion from people to just add a colon after writing /me, but I don't think that's any good either :<

Probably the best way to make this work is if we can do /me: or /me's that way it starts out with FutabaSakura: or FutabaSakura's. It'll shorten things down and won't make the first sentence so mondane every single time. The space isn't the end of the world of course, but I'd love to see something like that.

Also regarding the colors, I think that'd be great but certain people will need to learn which color can hurt eyes. There are some profiles for example that have this specific blue color that's barely readable and they write entire sections with it. But overall I'm not against a color slider for your rp text, or even regular text. If you could color regular text, that'd solve the colon problem instantly, just make it the same color as your rp text and it's done.

Guess we'll have to wait and see, thanks for linking your post, was very informative ^^

This is an annoying problem with all the different games Ive RP'd in, Star Wars, Elder Scrolls ect. I dont think ive ever seen any devs tackle it, well not in any ive seen. I would love the two variations as you said, from your name to a possessive, that would allow so much more freedom in ways you start a line.

"/me eyes widen and looks around the room" looks silly so you change it around to "/me looks around the room, her eyes widening"  That example was easy to change and its not too bad but theres plenty that are not so easy and very annoying to try and get the same impact in another way.

A way that would solve everything, don't make sentences that are 3 pages long

This way you will not have to finish it in a second sentence. And to me, too long sentences can kill the rhythm of the rp

I mean, if i write an action and i heve the time to drink a coffee while my partner write her 3 pages sentence, it's no use

Edited by Leeloo

I love to do long sentences to. When i need to do that or to describe something that doesn't start with my character name i usually surround the text with [ ], like :

SuzieFakenberg [The wind blows hard and makes the leaves fly away.]

Not perfect but it does the trick.

16 minutes ago, Leeloo said:

This way you will not have to finish it in a second sentence. And to me, too long sentences can kill the rhythm of the rp

I mean, if i write an action and i heve the time to drink a coffee while my partner write her 3 pages sentence, it's no use

Well sure we should all stop doing long sentences because you don't like it.

I’ve ‘downgraded’ my style in RP like that. 
In previous Games I averaged something like 5 text posts per ‘turn’ for lack of a better term. 
Because I had to describe everything, in 3DX the animations and poses make it easier. Less to describe. 

Now my average is 2 posts with very rarely 3. 

Just now, Derai said:

I’ve ‘downgraded’ my style in RP like that. 
In previous Games I averaged something like 5 text posts per ‘turn’ for lack of a better term. 
Because I had to describe everything, in 3DX the animations and poses make it easier. Less to describe. 

My average post is around one 3dxchat paragraph. Sometimes even half, sometimes 1.5. But sometimes some action requires extended description, especially the ones that are not provided by poses and I end up with giving 2, 3 or (very rarely) even 4 paragraphs.

Well all that when I am with another descriptive partner who are into it.

In other mood and with other partner who are not into long sessions with a lot of text, I can just throw oneliners and dirty talk :P 

It's clearly not a very good system, but it's all we've got for the foreseeable future. For what it's worth, I try to always point my /me text to the reader's perspective, not mine (no "I" based statements). It makes for a little more formal convos but it reads better in my mind. I also take advantage of "/me 's" for possessive statements, i.e. "Lazlo's hand brushes your face", or "Lazlo's eyes close as he kisses you." I'll also use names in the /me text when RP'ing around multiple partners so that people know who is in the area of affect  of my action. ("Lazlo kisses Jane as he reaches over to bring Sarah closer.")

The thing I wonder about is where or if there has ever been a good conversation here about RP etiquette (and if it needs to be in another forum, no worries.) Mainly if people remember never to do the Big 3 to a partner: Don't put words in their mouth, thoughts in their head, or feelings (physical or emotional) in their bodies. There's a few other preferences I have like not using /me to directly state what I'm thinking (I try to show emotion on my face and body language instead), and not including speech in /me. I'd be curious to see a bigger discussion of favorite ways to get the point across.

Thanks for letting me pitch in my 2 centavos...

- Lazlo

3 minutes ago, Fyrefly said:

The thing I wonder about is where or if there has ever been a good conversation here about RP etiquette (and if it needs to be in another forum, no worries.) Mainly if people remember never to do the Big 3 to a partner: Don't put words in their mouth, thoughts in their head, or feelings (physical or emotional) in their bodies. There's a few other preferences I have like not using /me to directly state what I'm thinking (I try to show emotion on my face and body language instead), and not including speech in /me. I'd be curious to see a bigger discussion of favorite ways to get the point across.

I've literally halted and even walked out of some Sexual Encounters because my partner was suddenly Emoting FOR me.

One that I now remember was a girl deciding on her own, that the orgasm I -just described- myself, involved me squirting and 'drenching her face' while nothing in my description mentioned that, because I personally ain't really into that. She got upset, and told me It was 'normal' for her to take liberties with MY responses.

Similarly was a Dude during foreplay deciding FOR me that I was wet enough to soak my G-string... Well, even if I leaned toward it, him doing that led to it NOT being the case.

My view on behavior like that is that it's kinda disrespectful, BUT, I can understand that some might do it by accident in the heat of the moment, trying to work in their own kink and favorites into the scene. But doing so in a awkward or kinda rude fashion.
Several people I called out on that, actually learned from it, and much fun was had by all in following encounters ^^

40 minutes ago, Fyrefly said:

The thing I wonder about is where or if there has ever been a good conversation here about RP etiquette (and if it needs to be in another forum, no worries.) Mainly if people remember never to do the Big 3 to a partner: Don't put words in their mouth, thoughts in their head, or feelings (physical or emotional) in their bodies.

Wholeheartedly agree! 

It gets even worse if you are sexually submissive because some doms tend to think that if they are dominant it gives them a right to decide what sub feels or thinks and how sub or sub's body will react. But it's a bullshit. Being doms does not make them some kind of Gods. For example... Dom can order me to orgasm/not orgasm, but they can't directly control my body and just write in their turn that some action of theirs made me cum. It's my virtual body, only I am the one who decides how it works. 

What I'd like to see is a possibility to RP in chat with placing the mandatory /me anywhere and it would replace it with your name right there. This would make expressing your role more flexible, as not all phrases would require to have your name at the start.

On 6/4/2020 at 5:33 PM, Xizl said:

Well sure we should all stop doing long sentences because you don't like it.

If you have nothing better than being agressive when you post something, just don't post it. Especialy when you like a post just after explaining exactly what i meant

Edited by Leeloo

1 hour ago, Leeloo said:

If you have nothing better than being agressive when you post something, just don't post it. Especialy when you like a post just after explaining exactly what i meant

Exactly what you meant? 

Your words: 

On 6/4/2020 at 8:16 PM, Leeloo said:

This way you will not have to finish it in a second sentence.

Derai's words:

On 6/4/2020 at 8:40 PM, Derai said:

How is that "exactly what you meant"? 

People asking for improved RP possiblities because they want and need it. If it's not your style – fine, but why you trying to teach other people about how they should RP? 

This is a good thread!  Let's try to learn from one another and keep positive. 🙂  I feel I am a pretty darn good RP'er myself, just ask Betty. 🤪  Seriously though, I like to be very descriptive.  The poses can highlight the action, but there is so much fun to have between them.  Some of your posts are a great help in how to have those conversations and how to be mindful about my partners feelings and actions. 

19 hours ago, Xizl said:

How is that "exactly what you meant"? 

People asking for improved RP possiblities because they want and need it. If it's not your style – fine, but why you trying to teach other people about how they should RP? 

Ok i've misread (english is not my first language) but: 

1- i didn't try to teach other peoples how to rp it was just my thoughs in the post. And, unless it changed, we are free to give our thoughs in this forum right ? (unless it changed and you became 3DX dictator and anyone who don't think like you is a piece of s**t)

2- This don't give you the right to be agressive about it and you could show some respect to others. But maybe it's to hard for you to show respect exept to yourself.

Edited by Leeloo

I didn't say that they should shorten their sentences because i don't like it. I told them that if having their sentences cut in middle of a phrase, by lack of space, annoy them, they should think to shorten their sentences so they are not cut in middle of a phrase. And after this i added that personally i was doing this way. It don't mean that they MUST do like this but that they COULD do like this to solve their problem. So yes, it was respectful compared to your anwser

On 6/4/2020 at 7:40 PM, Fyrefly said:

The thing I wonder about is where or if there has ever been a good conversation here about RP etiquette (and if it needs to be in another forum, no worries.)

You actually inspired me to create a post for such a discussion, feel free to contribute.

Awesome! Thanks so much for compensating for my debilitating laziness...;). I had been browsing some of the older forum chats about it as well, and it might be a good idea to pull together the older posts and find the common elements that still apply to 3DX. There are a LOT of more experienced online RP'ers here than this old fool, and I know a lot of different opinions and ways to approach the subject. But I don't think it would hurt at all to get a pinned topic at the top of the RP Forum about what's best practice for 3DX (personal preferences aside, and all that.)

C ya!

Lazlo