3DXChat Community

3DXChat City Build Competition

Ashbash

Why are you separating people? This is a contest for everyone, and everyone here (in 3dxchat) has equal rights to participate. There are no amateurs or professionals here. More than month to show a quality work Is enough.

Edited by ☙𝔼𝕩❧

Yes ....You are right.....even a two-tier system would fail because all they would have to do is get a new acc name since almost everyone knows who the professioanls are anyway.

In my eyes the contest is already rigged in their favor but I will wish the professsionals luck.......even though they don't need it   :)

I dont know exactly what you call profesionnal, but people using the world editor as good as Redji there is a bunch and they are not profesionnal. We all have the same tool to build,. What makes the difference is how good you are with the tool but more than that, how creative you are.

It is a bit unfair to say great player create poses and clothes for us, and now say like, we should exclude them from this contest when they help the community. They are players as we are, they werent hired by 3dx.

1 hour ago, Ashbash said:

There is no limit to the map size, but as EX above quoted my original post, we're looking for quality, rather than quantity. As there is only around 44 days left until the deadline, I am not too sure how fast users are able to build, which was why I set up a month and a half deadline. To give everyone of different build speeds, time to build their creations. So do not feel rushed, take your time, and let those creative juices flow. (Giggity)

Well, i was not speaking about making ten thousand buildings, but even with, for example, a small bathroom, it's easy to reach 2Mb. I guess i should have asked if the map should be performances friendly and i take that answer as a no 😛

Also we all are gonna be using the same tool... which is the world editor... and that levels the playing field... and all will be judged based on their taste and skill with said in game tool... would be unfair if  a "professional" graphic designer/3d modeler was able to use outside 3d modelling tools...
What's unfair is trying to exclude Redji from the competition just cause we know he's so good with the in game tool.

Also

On 5/25/2020 at 8:54 PM, Ashbash said:

Elements your submission will be judged on:

- Creativity
- Presentation
- Quality
- Atmosphere
- Effects
- Build Methods

to me the inclusion of build methods meant that it has to be user friendly.

20 minutes ago, jadekhali said:

Yes ....You are right.....even a two-tier system would fail because all they would have to do is get a new acc name since almost everyone knows who the professioanls are anyway.

In my eyes the contest is already rigged in their favor but I will wish the professsionals luck.......even though they don't need it   :)

Any contest is like that. Whenever someone starts an art contest, a music contest, hell even a "Talent show" is rigged in your eyes. A contest exists to see who can make pretty things. Going in with the idea that the "professionals" will win anyways isn't how you should go about things. If everyone thought like that then there'd be no contenders at all.

Same goes for gaming tournaments, you think people would pass on a tournament just because professionals are joining in? Create something pretty, put in your time and efforts and who knows, maybe you'll create something that'll shock the judges. Remember, you miss 100% of the shots you don't take~

3 minutes ago, Raichu said:

Any contest is like that. Whenever someone starts an art contest, a music contest, hell even a "Talent show" is rigged in your eyes. A contest exists to see who can make pretty things. Going in with the idea that the "professionals" will win anyways isn't how you should go about things. If everyone thought like that then there'd be no contenders at all.

Same goes for gaming tournaments, you think people would pass on a tournament just because professionals are joining in? Create something pretty, put in your time and efforts and who knows, maybe you'll create something that'll shock the judges. Remember, you miss 100% of the shots you don't take~

Yes .....You are right ....I just wish there was a way to separate the professionals from the amatuers like other sporting events do......but it is probably not possible here.....so you will have to excuse me if I don't get too excited about this "contest"    :)

And my last point, it is thanks to people like Redji, Manyasha, Anaganda, Paulina, LukeM, Icarus and many others that impressed me, inspired me, and push me to be better each time I build. And I am sure many started to build cos of what they saw from others. This is less a contest to se who is the best than a way to see how people express there talent. I hope all submissions will be visible on forum cos I am sure it will be inspiring.

Edited by Torax

14 minutes ago, ☙𝔼𝕩❧ said:

This is how good beginnings end. I hope that these words will not affect our judges in any way.

Not to worry, we're all OK and are looking forward to seeing what members of the community will come up with. :D

Yes all except the judges are allowed to enter. Do your best, don't be discouraged because someone who has done some cool stuff may enter, we're all capable of doing some epic stuff! So don't be alarmed and I, personally look forward to seeing everything you guys can do. As some stuff I've seen already are amazing in game. And get's me super excited as Level Design is one of my guilty pleasures 👀

1 hour ago, ☙𝔼𝕩❧ said:

This is how good beginnings end. I hope that these words will not affect our judges in any way.

I don't know of ANYONE that takes things OUT OF CONTEXT more then you.......when YOU quote me PLEASE QUOTE THE ENTIRE QOUTE ......thank you   :)

I will show you the original quote.......then the troll's way of picking it apart OUT OF CONTEXT to be rude and annoying   :)

Screenshot_1.png

Screenshot_2.png

Edited by jadekhali

1 hour ago, jadekhali said:

I don't know of ANYONE that takes things OUT OF CONTEXT more then you.......when YOU quote me PLEASE QUOTE THE ENTIRE QOUTE ......thank you   :)

I will show you the original quote.......then the troll's way of picking it apart OUT OF CONTEXT to be rude and annoying   :)

Screenshot_1.png

Screenshot_2.png

Everyone are able to see all of your text because your text is in the topic as it is (if you didn't change that). I quoted exactly the moment i don`t like. 

Edited by ☙𝔼𝕩❧

I'm not sure who all here has seen AsherRains builds like Inferno and his cabin but they're a work of art.  While I've seen other rooms those rooms took it to a whole different level.  Inferno blew a lot of minds when it was open, his cabin had so many coming in to see the work.  I know that Rob's GreySkull and other builds you can get lost in as well.  There are so many great builders out there with such amazing rooms.  These tools are easy to work with if you really want to make something awesome.  I always think my builds are shitty as that's just me but I've been told to stop doubting myself as my builds are wonderful, but that goes in one ear and out the other so I don't really show my rooms.

20 hours ago, Pandorra said:

What will happen to the submitted world files? Will they become public? Available for download? Or will the judges delete them after making their decisions? I would perhaps participate, but only if I am able to decide what will happen with the world file afterwards.

hello. The best thing to do is that the builder of the room open it to be juged in immersive.. screens or videos are not enough because you can hide some parts of the room... The best way is to open the room and be juged in real immersive visit

8 minutes ago, Mar Mohan said:

I'm not sure who all here has seen AsherRains builds like Inferno and his cabin but they're a work of art.  While I've seen other rooms those rooms took it to a whole different level.  Inferno blew a lot of minds when it was open, his cabin had so many coming in to see the work.  I know that Rob's GreySkull and other builds you can get lost in as well.  There are so many great builders out there with such amazing rooms.  These tools are easy to work with if you really want to make something awesome.  I always think my builds are shitty as that's just me but I've been told to stop doubting myself as my builds are wonderful, but that goes in one ear and out the other so I don't really show my rooms.

You should show your rooms :)

What's the worst that could happen?

2 hours ago, Mar Mohan said:

Don't feel discouraged Mar! You should enter, I've recalled seeing some of your builds in the past pre-world editor with the old school .dll hack and they were fantastic! So don't feel down on your ability, it's fantastic. Go for it!

Edited by Ashbash

Honestly, I like the idea the judges visit the submitted rooms personally, maybe having a walk through with the builder. They could make fotos of details themselves for remembering after vitsiting a lot of builds and get an impression about the scene you barely get from screens. Try different sunsets, whatever.

But I suppose it will not happen due to lack of time, right?

1 hour ago, Pandorra said:

Honestly, I like the idea the judges visit the submitted rooms personally, maybe having a walk through with the builder. They could make fotos of details themselves for remembering after vitsiting a lot of builds and get an impression about the scene you barely get from screens. Try different sunsets, whatever.

But I suppose it will not happen due to lack of time, right?

I think it's the better way to juge a complete build.

It's the same if you look pictures of an object or a location but it's realy better an objective to se it in real.. 2D is not 3D : ))

If we are gonna talk about that judges need to see the build live (which is correct), then we need to give up on our prejudice that we shouldn't give the file...

Depending on the number of submissions it can be inconceivable for the judges to be able to walk in file by file depending on the owner's availability to show it... we just give the files and they can inspect them on their own time for whenever fits them.

In actual real creativity driven competitions in whatever field, you do all the work, even pay from your money for whatever aid stuff... and you submit all that... and you get nothing if you lost.. you don't send photos of your design or the model that you made or the painting or whatever...

I for one would have totally supported the idea that submitted work should be in form of world file in pm to one of the judges... if person is too protective of their file to even send to the devs then tough shit.

No, I would not mind to send it to a jury.

As long as it is guarantied that those files will only be used for making a judement and not offered for further download or whatever I am fine with it. I just wanted to know the whatabouts in advance.

I am thinking of a world I use only privately and I would not like each and everyone to look inside all my drawers. Understandable? 😉

Edited by Pandorra

I think that the files should be sent as they have been done before to the judges so they can see the room for themselves virtually to explore.  There's no better way to see the rooms and what they offer if you don't see it.  Pictures say a thousand words but there's nothing like seeing something directly, so to speak in a virtual world.  I hope the judges take that into consideration.

Thank you to those that gave me compliments but I don't think mine are good, that's just how I think of them.

2 hours ago, Pandorra said:

No, I would not mind to send it to a jury.

As long as it is guarantied that those files will only be used for making a judement and not offered for further download or whatever I am fine with it. I just wanted to know the whatabouts in advance.

I am thinking of a world I use only privately and I would not like each and everyone to look inside all my drawers. Understandable? 😉

What FUN it would be…

To get a peek in those drawers

Would you make me blush?  :)

Back to topic… I’m not a builder but do appreciate imaginative, innovative, quality builds with attention to detail. Though I suspect the qualities you are looking for in a Judge include extensive W.E. experience and either an engineering or architecture degree, none of which I possess… If you can’t find enough qualified volunteers I’m willing to be an “unqualified”, but fair, alternate/back up.

What I lack in building skills I make up for in others... with perfectionist tendencies and a sprinkle of OCD I got an eye for detail. And a gift for keeping secrets… ;) at Pan. Andrea's the only one capable of opening this vault.

Regardless, look forward to this event as a judge, bench warmer or spectator. I’ve already been blown away with some of the builds in game, I’m excited to see the wonders of the imagination that this event will surely produce.

ohhh, not sure what you’re doing for prizes either, but I would be willing to contribute… I have a thing for artists. :D 

1 hour ago, Mar Mohan said:

Thank you to those that gave me compliments but I don't think mine are good, that's just how I think of them.

I must admit, I have never seen any of yours (knowingly). However, I am almost certain you underestimate your own skills. And even if not? What could you loose? At least you would get the chance to get an evaluation from others. From my experiance this is not the worst thing to get, if you wish to improve.

In addition, I'd like to point to the Olympic spirit in this regard: the most important thing is taking part.

So perhaps you overthink your decision and make it a bit harder for Anaganda to win this contest? 😉