3DXChat Community

WASD

Whitesnake

Would WASD (or custom keys) be better than clicking for movement?  

83 members have voted

1. 1. Would WASD be better than clicking for movement?

• Yep!
    • Nah...
    • Both methods should be in the game for the player to choose.

Full WASD movement isn’t even necessary if we simply had the function to Turn our Avi in place. 
The point and click is fine to move around, but often you’d want to be facing a specific way, and you’re doing the awkward shuffle to walk Away from someone to turn back and face them. 

A function to change the direction the Avi is facing, would help greatly. 

14 hours ago, R0bT said:

NO!!!

13 hours ago, SusanLouisa said:

NO.

And WHY not? 😒

1 hour ago, Alliehotass said:

Then those of us who use Free Cam with WASD and click to move at tha same time wouldn't be able to. 

Im in free Cam most of tha time and click to move in this way.

So NO Ty. :)

Having keyboard controls doesn't necessarily exclude point and click movement... a lot of games offer both alongside each other, either simultaneously or by letting you choose which one you want active.

1 hour ago, Leeloo said:

selected "no" because WASD would only fit certain lands (not france by exemple as we use AZERTY keyboards here) but with arrow keys, why not.

The keymapping isn't an issue here... it can be configurable and usually arrow keys are an enabled option, the point is being able to move with the keyboard at all.

As for me, i'd definitely prefer moving with the keyboard... so it's a yes from me.

Edited by JuIsMu

I believe WASD  is built right into Unity, but could be wrong. The ability to use the features like jumping and such that are basic attributes of any game you would think are pretty standard and already there or easy to add. Personally, I'd like both options. Point and click for long distances, WASD for game like movement.

As free Cam already uses it, I'd think it is already there.

It could be fun to have the ability to make race tracks, skating rinks, swimming courses, etc. that would obviously benefit from WASD and add another dimension to a 3DX experience.

Edited by THX

4 hours ago, SusanLouisa said:

Still a No for me. I prefer the devs focus on what has already been promised to us. If you wish this, and it stays only as an option, it needs to wait it's turn.  So. NO. Give pose editor, hair customizer and watchable television first.

Developing an in-game editor of any kind is serious work, whereas a basic feature like WASD movement keys could be implemented in a day, or at least come with the next update or patch if they decide today. I believe they don't consider it because the current method got so ingrained that many (veteran) players got comfortable with it to the point of defending it OR it may take two days instead of one because it works with freecam and the game needs to be thought how to make the difference.

6 hours ago, Leeloo said:

selected "no" because WASD would only fit certain lands (not france by exemple as we use AZERTY keyboards here) but with arrow keys, why not.

Well, not literally WASD, but whatever is in the area. Even the arrow keys would be better than just clicking, although with arrow keys I'd have to keep both hands towards my right or move the keyboard to the left.

13 hours ago, Kemistry said:

WASD is very very useful for steering flight cam (expecially when making photos or movies) and should stay reserved for the flight cam.

To use WASD in flight cam / freecam you need to right-click, so there's your option. In "normal mode" it can be just WASD.